Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Narrows
I need some help...

I need to take my scouts to camp next week and all my plans are being foiled... We are planning to canoe into somewhere, relatively short, and setting up a primitive camp. My first 3 ideas have not worked out for various reasons...(Mostly snow.)

I've now been pointed toward canoeing into the narrows at Strawberry. I'm no strawberry expert, so I don't want to do that till I have more information. I was advised to put in at Indian Creek and canoe into the narrows along the South side of the narrows and set up camp in there. What do you guys think?

How far of a canoe trip are we talking? I've got 12-13 year olds that are relatively inexperienced in canoes, so I don't want to kill them, but I do want to push them a bit...

Can I drive right to Indian Creek? Is 4WD required? Where is Indian Creek exactly (the map I have doesn't show it....)

Once there, what should we be fishing in that area to have the most success for inexperienced fishermen?

You guys are great, and I EAGERLY await your wisdom, insight and experience!
[signature]
You need a swim check before you go out with a certified leader from I understand for scouts.

Anyway, I wouldn't suggest a canoe on Strawberry. Its kindof dangerous and I had been out there with whitecaps. How about Trial Lake, Pelican, Mirror lake, Red fleet?

Good luck and have a safe trip!
[signature]
I wouldn't be afraid of Strawberry as long as you're off the water before the wind picks up. But I would second the Pelican Lake or the near to there place called Brough. Both are closer to Vernal than Strawberry but they would be perfect for what you're looking for.

As for fishing with inexperienced fisher men the best is always a fly and a bubble. I would be happy to come and give a demo/seminar on just how to do it if you like.

If not a fly and bubble then use a bubble half filled with water and hang a worm and marshmallow.
[signature]
+1 on not recommending canoes on Strawberry, especially if they are inexperienced. Wind kicks up and it could get ugly. What are your travel limitations?
[signature]
I think your plan is doable. From the Indian Creek boat ramp you could easily follow the shoreline all the way to where you are going. If you stay close to shore you can minimize the risk. The water is still very cold though... so factor that in to your planning as well. It is true the waves can get nasty, but once in the narrows, they calm down substantially. With the right planning, I think you will have a great time there.
[signature]
I did their swim checks last week (I'm a Red Cross Certified Lifeguard)...

In the last hour or so, I was advised to come from the Soldier Creek side of the Narrows, and put in from near Aspen Grove, hug the shoreline and go into the Narrows from that side...

Any thoughts on Indian Creek vs. Aspen Grove?

Thanks!
[signature]
"12-13 year olds that are relatively inexperienced in canoes",, on a pond as unpredictable wind wise and with water temps as cold as Dah Berry contains..
Where is the question?
[signature]
Yeah, I would not recommend the Berry. It's big water with weather conditions that could become really nasty, really quick.

Not sure where I would suggest based on your limitations. Based on other suggestions, Pelican sounds good.
[signature]
Crap... I'm out of ideas... We are desperate here... I REALLY don't want to do Pelican Lake--my memories of it are not very fond. I'd MUCH prefer something a bit more mountainous.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm coming from Spanish Fork, and I need to stay within a couple hours or less, because we'll probably have my other leaders switching out mid-week.

Ideas????? What about Curant Creek. I've never been there before, but I just noticed it on my map.

I apologize for my constant questions. Any help would be great!
[signature]
Don't know about the snow situation, but perhaps Electric Lake would work. I haven't had a boat on it, so I don't know how difficult it would be to find a fairly-level spot to camp, but you wouldn't have to canoe very far to be away from the crowds if you headed out from the ramp area on the north end. The scouts should be able to catch some fish there.
[signature]
I think Currant Creek would be great. In my experience the wind doesn't come up there like it does at other places and there are a couple of bays you can tool around in. I also think it's beautiful up there and there are plenty of places to camp.
[signature]
I think I would try the gorge at sheep creek. you could launch at the boat ramp go straight across and have some good camp spots. also the fishing would be good for bass, trout, and possibly burbot. And the view is awsome.
[signature]
I agree with kentofnsl, Electric lake would be an excellant choice, I drove by last week and the ramp area is probably accesable now. The whole lake is mostly roadless and good fishing. Big waves are generally not a problem, the area is scenic. There are some areas to canoe to and camp on the oppisite bank from the reamp and down the lake. However I would make a base camp in the dry flat by the restroom , and make day trips each day. It's a long canoe trip from the upper lake to the dam. (all dauy
[signature]
Scouts canoeing on Strawberry. That sounds like a great idea, sure you don't want to take them for a hike in a Slot canyon instead.
[signature]
Strawberry for canoeing is not a good idea at all. To many variables, and all bad unless you're planning to go in circles in a small sheltered bay close to help.

If you're looking for a mountainous trip in nice surroundings, current creek would certainly be a decent choice, but I don't believe you'll find many areas to set up a camp outside the campgrounds at the boat ramp that are close proximity the the lake.

Electric lake, Gooseberry, Cleveland, Miller Flats, as well as a couple other Manti Mountian lakes might be be good choices, but I'm not sure which one would have the best camp sites. Some may still be snow packed as well. Others here I'm sure are more familiar with that area and the current conditions.

All of Utah's northern lakes are still VERY cold, and choosing to hike into a lake might be a better choice with the cool weather we've been having. At least you have a better chance of arriving to camp with dry gear and dry clothes.

Southern Utah's Boulder Mtns may be warmer (at least the air temps) than the lakes up north and worth considering. Blind Lake would be a real nice choice down there for a group of scouts.

Good Luck.
[signature]
Electric might be a good idea. I didn't see the lake, but I was hiking in that area last Tuesday at 9100 feet (500 feet higher than Electric), and the snow was mostly all gone.
[signature]
What about schofield? Or Electric Lake is a good suggestion.
[signature]
Currant Creek, better idea.

Remember that much if not most of the land around E Lake, not accessible by auto, is NO TRESPASS.
[signature]
Maybe Joe's Valley?
[signature]
Just signed up been lurking and learning for years,great site with good info and good guys.I just couldnt help myself on this thread. I myself wouldnt want to be responsible for a bunch of 13 yr olds that know about half as much as they think they do. Strawberry can change way to fast and the stress would take alot of the fun out of it.I f I was you I think I would look at Vernon or Grantsville reservoirs. Smaller and good camping.Have fun and be safe.
[signature]