Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magic Report - Fly Fishing
I hit Magic yesterday at 2:30 and it started out like a banner day. I was not in the water more than a minute when, WHAM! I was fighting a two pounder. That was it for another two hours and then I landed two fish in a 10 minutes span. Then it was another drought. I was all over the lake around Lava Point and then below West Magic. There was not one fly that did any better than an other. I finally did catch a fish on one of my mohair leech patterns that I have tried for the last ten years. I was desperate when I tied on that one since I have never ever had a strike using one of those leeches. I ended up landing the biggest fish of the day on that mohair leech in front of some bank fishers that were quite funny. They razzed me for catching one so near to them when they had not even caught one. The biggest was only 2 1/2 lbs., not quite the 5 pounder that I told my boy I was going to catch since he did not want to go. I only landed 4 fish in 5 1/2 hours with a couple strikes and hook-ups, but when they zip off line like they did, nothing is any better!

There was a lot of moss floating in the bays and near shore where I was trying to fish. It made it difficult to keep the flies clean. Also I don't think they can put any more water in the reservoir. It is at high water mark. The water was sure clear though. It was as clear as it is in the fall.
[signature]
Great report and pretty fish! Felt like I was there with you for a second.
[signature]
Sounds good to me. I really need to go on a fly fishing trip for rainbows. Nothing like jumping bows if you ask me.

Windriver
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Good looking fish too!
[signature]