Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's Walleye time at SFCR!
I went to SFCR on Friday. It was good for me and epic for one guy I was with. Water temp at launch at 7:00 am was right at 60. By 5:00 pm it was 67. it started a little slow but I got 4 walleye that were 17" to 18" 1 that was 16" and 2 that were 14" I kept the 6 bigger ones for the skillet. I did get a few bass nothing great , but I did get some real good perch. I kept some and released a bunch. I also got a couple of big trash fish I mean trout. Both were in the 5 pound range, and man did they fight. I released the first one and the second one broke me off at the pontoon, i didn't get a picture of them.
One guy that I was with got 15 Walleye the biggest was 23". He didn't keep count of the bass, perch and trout. He called his day the best fishing day he could remember. My battery died in the middle of a long ride. I was about 8 hours into a day of trolling when it gave up. I knew it was going to but I had to push it a little farther. We hooked up my boat to my buddy's boat to get back.
Another friend was also there with us in his boat and got 8 walleyes, and kept 6 for a meal. In all SFCR is popping right now. The walleye tournament is going on right now on Saturday. If the weather holds out it should be great. Here are some more oar cam pictures. Ron

[Image: 6-17-11A.jpg]
[Image: 6-17-11C.jpg]
[Image: 6-17-11D.jpg]
[Image: 6-17-11E.jpg]
[Image: 6-17-11F.jpg]
[Image: 6-17-11G.jpg]
[Image: 6-17-11L.jpg]
[Image: 6-17-11N.jpg]
[Image: 6-17-11O.jpg]
[signature]
Great job Ron wish I could have been there.

I went this Saturday amongst all the walleye guys and didn't get a hit. I was struggling with my starcraft and wasn't able to fish as I knew I needed to. Down on the bottom. It was a little breezy and the boat still did OK with the trolling motor but I couldn't get the gas motor to work so back to the shop with it. I definitly need to work out some bugs with it and it is small, might work for 2 that don't have issues with people being in their space.

The walleye guys seemed to be getting limits but I din't hear of any large fish,
[signature]
Walleyes, YUM!

In Minnesota they don't have stripes. Boy, do I ever miss walleye fishing.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nice work. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Love that lake...but it's a bit far for a short day of fishing. I guess I'll have to make do with Utah Lake, Willard Bay and Starvation until gas prices come down...and pigs fly.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote Fishtales23]Walleyes, YUM!

In Minnesota they don't have stripes. Boy, do I ever miss walleye fishing.[/quote]

the last picture is a bunch of perch. Ron
[signature]
[quote idahopanfish]Great job Ron wish I could have been there.

I went this Saturday amongst all the walleye guys and didn't get a hit. I was struggling with my starcraft and wasn't able to fish as I knew I needed to. Down on the bottom. It was a little breezy and the boat still did OK with the trolling motor but I couldn't get the gas motor to work so back to the shop with it. I definitly need to work out some bugs with it and it is small, might work for 2 that don't have issues with people being in their space.

The walleye guys seemed to be getting limits but I din't hear of any large fish,[/quote]

That stinks about the gas motor. I am sure you will get it going.
I would like to have seen the weigh in for the tournament. I bet they caught a lot in the morning. Did the weather go sour in the afternoon? Ron
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]Nice work. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Love that lake...but it's a bit far for a short day of fishing. I guess I'll have to make do with Utah Lake, Willard Bay and Starvation until gas prices come down...and pigs fly.[/#0000ff][/quote]

I will trade you SFCR for Utah lake. SFCR is a fickle old girl and doesn't have any cats. Ron
[signature]
Yeah the wind picked up around 2, if the motor would have been working it would not have been a problem but with only the electric I didn't want to be walking or end up on the wrong shore.

Say, what kind of weight setup do you use to keep cranks down near the bottom? I was thinking of useing a 3-way with a large split shot or 2 on a leader droper so if it hung up they would lide off.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I guess it's a case of "the algae is always greener on the other lakes." Plenty green on SFCR.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I can understand your envy of Utah Lake. It gets a bad rap from some folks but it is still one of the best fishing holes I have found in the whole U. S. of A. And I have fished a lot of them. Yeah, we got a major carp problem, but there are more species and bigger fish in Utah Lake than almost any other lake I have ever sampled...especially in the west. Good access and good fishing for multiple species almost year round. Probably more catfish over 10 pounds come out of Utah Lake each year than any other water I know of. And grundles of cookie cutters.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sure, it can have its "moments"...during transition times or during bad weather sessions. But if you know the lake there is almost always some place you can go to get out of the worst of it and into some fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Come on down.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]I guess it's a case of "the algae is always greener on the other lakes." Plenty green on SFCR.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I can understand your envy of Utah Lake. It gets a bad rap from some folks but it is still one of the best fishing holes I have found in the whole U. S. of A. And I have fished a lot of them. Yeah, we got a major carp problem, but there are more species and bigger fish in Utah Lake than almost any other lake I have ever sampled...especially in the west. Good access and good fishing for multiple species almost year round. Probably more catfish over 10 pounds come out of Utah Lake each year than any other water I know of. And grundles of cookie cutters.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sure, it can have its "moments"...during transition times or during bad weather sessions. But if you know the lake there is almost always some place you can go to get out of the worst of it and into some fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Come on down.[/#0000ff][/quote]

Some day I will take you up on that. Then you will have to show me around. That would be fun. Ron
[signature]
[quote idahopanfish]

Say, what kind of weight setup do you use to keep cranks down near the bottom? I was thinking of useing a 3-way with a large split shot or 2 on a leader droper so if it hung up they would lide off.[/quote]

That is the ticket right there. Works like a charm[cool]. Ron
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Why waste a perfectly good extra added attraction potential? I have been hanging a 1/4 oz. jig (plastic or feather) off a blood knot or small swivel above a floater-diver crankbait for years. This rig can be casted or trolled...to add weight to bet the lure down and also to act as a second offering. Sometimes the fish hit one...somethimes the other. Who cares?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][inline "CRANK JIG COMBO.jpg"][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In the attached pic you will also see a rig I have been using for good success on walleyes at Starvation Reservoir in Utah. The crank in the picture just doesn't quite get the depth needed in some areas so I thread the line through a painted spinner body, tie on a swivel and then add about a 4 foot leader. I have trolled these with success but where it really works well is on a long cast. Tight line it to the bottom and be alert for a "pop on the drop". Once it touches down you can bring it in with short pulls...to get the lure to dive and then float back up...or reel it in at whatever speed is necessary to keep it at the depth you want.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks TD both of those are good ideas.
[signature]
I will agree that the extra jig would give more irons in the fire. The only problem is that extra jig down there at SFCR might hang up and take the crank with it. If a guy has a floating crank it might come up, maybe. Ron
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Any time you are fishing in "hostile" bottom conditions you gotta consider your rig. No sense inviting trouble if you don't need to. That's what good bottom bouncer rigs are for...and they also hang up at times if you don't keep the downward angle right and if you don't have a long enough wire on the end.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hi,
The walleye and perch make my mouth water! Could you post a close up picture of the pvc rod holders and the fishing buddy mount?
Thanks,
Tom
[signature]
the Rod holder on my boat is this kind I made.

[Image: Ronstoon11-j.jpg]

The fishing buddy mount is actually my friends but it is the stock mount the unit came with. On his South fork he has a long part of the frame where the oars go. He put a board across the gap and clamped it to the board.
[signature]
Thanks Ron
[signature]