Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for a taking out a first time tuber
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font][size 3]Several years ago I used touse my float tube quite regularly during the summer. Scofield was my main spotand I always did really well. As my son got bigger, I bought a small boat andwe used the boat and the tube was put away. I sold the boat this winter and amback to the tube. My son is now 14 and never fished from a tube. I want to takehim out fishing. [/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[size 3]I understand that Scofield isnot the great place to fish any longer. I have fished the Berry before from mytube and I have fished at Smith & Morehouse with my tube. [/size]
[size 3]Would anyone consider sharingsuggestions on where to take my son in the tube that we might find some success?[/size]
[size 3]Thanks for any suggestions oradvice. [/size]
[signature]
Utah Lake? I would say Uinta's but you will probably be waiting till September at this rate.
Jordanelle also, Grantsville, Vernon....?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]My personal recmmendation is that you get him all outfitted and then go someplace nearby where you can do a shakedown cruise. He needs to get used to the feel and learn how to kick properly and to make turns and do what is necessary on an average trip.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sounds like you are more inclined to fish lakes with trout in them, but Utah Lake or Willard Bay would be good places with protected harbors. Launching is safer and no problems if a breeze comes up. You don't want to be in the wrong place on a big lake when the wind comes up and you are not completely competent at getting back to shore.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Scofield has changed, with the tiger trout and the slot regulations. But, there are lots of fish in there. You may have to work through a bunch of recent planters to find a few larger fish but sometimes quantity is better than quality for a new tuber.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Strawberry continues to produce well...at times. Hasn't really caught fire yet this year with the high water and low temperatures. But definitely put it on your tubing list. There are a lot more rainbows reaching good size in there now. The cutts are scarce during their spawn but should be good later.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Plenty of great tubing waters. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are planning on handing down your older tube to your son, be sure to check it out thoroughly. Make sure the air chambers have no leaks and have not suffered from their period of disuse. Ditto for the seams. Air it up to the max and check it out well.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you have a round tube, and your son decides he likes tubing, you will be doing him a big favor by getting him a newer model with the open front end. Come on over to the float tubing board and look at the archives and pictures for some ideas.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Depends on where you are coming from and how far you want to drive. Go somewhere close for a trial run then plan a longer multi night trip. Smith and morehouse, vernon res, grantsville, and tibble fork would all be decent close by locations for the shake down cruise.
[signature]
Do the shake down cruise. When you get a little extra time, head to Henry's Lake in Idaho for some monster Hybrids. My son was about that age when we started making it an annual trip. The fishing can be fast and the fish are big.
[signature]
The fishing can be fast and the fish are big.

When was the last time you were there? I will give you maybe the fast, if you snag the shore lines, but the sizes have decreased. Bigger fish coming out of Strawberry these days.[Wink][cool]
[signature]
I was there last Sept. We caught several fish over 22 inches. I don't get many over the slot in the Berry.
[signature]
For a shake down cruise there are also a couple of commuity ponds that allow tubes.
Burriston Ponds down south and Bountful pond up north of you.
Both small ponds where the wind won't be to much trouble. After the shakdown cruise there are places everywhere to go. Smaller lakes with a lack of power boats woud be best for this year, his first. Smith/Morehouse is prime, nice campng too. Vernon, as mentioned, Grantsville, Lost Creek, even Little Dell, but you have to pay there.
[signature]