Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Father's Day kayak
Walked into K-mart Saturday and there was a stack of sit-on-top Calypso blue kayaks for $200 each. Wife said "Happy Father's Day!" and I couldn't object. Don't get me wrong: I'm a tuber through and through. But I first learned to fish on the Texas coast in the shallow bay flats. Back then, the trouble was getting across the deep channels to reach the wadeable flats. Hence my first venture into buddyboats to cross the distance.

I'm happy with my OTC toon, but not with the lakes in my area. One is a beautiful deep water lake in the shadow of the Blueridge, but the best bass fishing is at the far end from the only boat dock, way too far for me to kick. So I'm interested in the kayak for that reason as well as for crossing deep water at, say, Norfolk to get to fishable flats in search of my treasured reds. The last keeper redfish I caught towed my float quite a distance before finally tuckering out.

I haven't tried out the gift yet, and knowing a fool and his life are soon parted, I thought I'd ask if any of you have kayaking pointers to pass along. I searched for a kayaking corner to this forum and didn't find one. That might tell more about my search capabilities that I'd like y-all to know, but I'd appreciate whatever you knowledge you can spare, especially about customizing the kayak for better fishing. Thanks in advance.
[signature]
Great score, and sounds like it will be fun. Just one question, didn't your pontoon come with oars? I only ask because you mentioned having to kick across the lake.

Oh and here you go:

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?forum=172
[signature]
No oars for the ODC 420, but then again it's not a REAL pontoon craft, just looks like one. No, I kick my strap-on fins for everywhere I go, which usually isn't more than a mile out, especially if there's a chance of an opposing wind on the way back.

As for the kayak link, an embarrassed thanks.
[signature]