Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help identifying this tube
Can someone help identify the model of Outcast this is? The only thing I know is it has one inflation valve. No idea regarding demensions, weight capacity, etc.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Looks like the red model of the regular Fat Cat...with foam seats. A Super Fat Cat has the inflated seats.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can look up the specs on the [url "http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/products/default.aspx?id=2"]OUTCAST WEBSITE[/url]. I fish from the green model. I am over 6' tall and weigh over 260 pounds. Plus, I add a lot of other gear and still float fine. The tube is rated at about 300# but will float more without sinking.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks TD. The tube ends not being PVC threw me. Can you tell how old this tube is? It looks like a pre LCS model. The owner had no clue.

Thanks again!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Best I can guess is over 10 years old. I got my first SFC in 2002. It had the PVC nose on it...but earlier models did not.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Is it safe to say it has urethane bladder, Summit valve and quality materials like today?

Just want to make sure my $$ are well spent.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The air bladder is most likely urethane. The earlier valves were Halkey Roberts...about the same as summit. Use the same adaptor tool. Quality was probably better than today's "offshore" made models. I know the cover materials seem to have gone downhill since my first model. Modern models also have fewer D rings. And FORGET the newest apron designs. Worthless.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is at least one fellow BFTer on the forum who still has one of those...from many years ago...and says it is holding up fine.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One consideration is how has the tube been stored over the years...inside? partially inflated? temperature control? etc. That can make a difference in how well it holds up.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Don't know what kind of deal you are working out but if the price is right...for you...the tube should have some good years left in it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TD....thanks for the great info. The tube was purchased by a gentleman just before he had a stroke. He used it just a couple times before. It has been stored indoors since. The asking price is a hundred dollar bill. Don't think I can pass that up!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sounds like a good deal to me.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I once bought a car from a little old lady who claimed she only drove it on Saturdays...at the demolition derby.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Ahhh......the little old lady story [sly]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yeah. Never buy a float tube from a little old lady. You never know the story behind it until it is too late. Could be that she is selling her husband's tube...just for spite. Heckuva way to get him to stay home and work in the yard more...or just because he won't ever listen to her. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Yep. Always pays to know the story behind the sale of something you might not be selling yourself if you owned it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Reminds me of the guy who scored a tricked out 4X4 truck for only $10 on the internet. After he had paid the money and got the paperwork he asked the lady why she was selling it that cheap. She admitted that it was her husbands. He had run off with his secretary and told her to sell the truck. And she could keep half of whatever she got and send him the rest.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
My husband had that very tube. It is Urethane, and foam seat. In fact, Majja bought it.
However, years of left in the sun did turn it to a nice shade of pink. My husband also put Plexi Glass in the seat as the foam does compress over time.

And I agree on the Halkey valves.
[signature]
It's the first or second year of the Super Fat Cat. I got mine in 2000 if I remember correctly. We got Joni's Fat Cat in '97 and I got mine 3 years later. TD is right about it having a urethane bladder. That's one reason I got it.
[signature]
Thanks everyone for the info.

What's the best way to tell the better US made non LCS model from the current version? Or is there a better version?
[signature]