Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP - New gear for stream/pond fishing
So I am an aspiring angler here in upstate New York. I have been doing a lot of fishing in the streams and creeks out here but this is really the first year I have taken it seriously. I am hoping to buy some new gear as my rod/real is garbage.

My budget is $300 max. I fish mostly Trout, panfish, and I would like to hit up the salmon run this fall. I fish in the rivers, streams and secluded ponds in the adirondack mountains here.

I have been looking around and I am considering buying a Shimano Saros F series reel, the 3000 size, as I have yet to read a bad review for it. I am, however, pretty overwhelmed with the Rod choices. I will mostly be fishing with small trout lures, spinners and such.

I am hoping someone here might be able to assist me by telling me what rod would work well for this in the $100 - $150 price range. Or if I am barking up the wrong tree with the Shimano Saros Reel.

I am new to the forum so I would really appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks in advance!

Dave
[signature]
I own both the symetri and stratics for reels and can't be happeir. So the saros should work very well. For trout and salmon you kind of need two different rods, but I'd probably get a 7' med action rod. Should have a fast tip for trout and a med to heavy for salmom, so the pick is yours on which fish you want to go after more often. Brands, Shimano has a life time full warrenty but some of the other rods the folks here like will work as well.
[signature]
i see your new yto the hole experince do you wade ? if you do you may want to consider the ix series from shimano a hole heck of a lot cheaper then those 120-150 reels people get sticker shock over. i think it retails for 15-20 bucks. i have landed plenty of 15-26 pound salmon on them up on the manistee here in michigan. the reason for such a cheap reel is most only have a 1 year or 90 day warranty for a 120 dollars to drop in the river and the water and river silt get in the grease and the silt stick to the grease. even hold true on 60 -80 dollar reels. i have toated 5-6 reels in the last couple years to silt. drag holds up fine the internal gears get ground down from the fine sand / silt in the moving water.here is a link to the mfgs web site for the ix. probaly will need it in a 1000r for trout pannies and a 4000r for salmon. trust me it is cheap but at least your not toasting 40 bucks every time you do it. as for rods the stiffer and faster the action is the better. and the fact most come with life time warrants this is ware you want to spend the money with a stiffer faster rod you will have more hook sets and hooked in to fish. any ways hope this help ya goodluck on the slection.

[url "http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/spinning/IX.html"]http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/spinning/IX.html[/url]
[signature]
Thanks for your input on this. I am pretty much as amateur as it get's I suppose.

I guess the reason I want to get a nice real is so that I won't have to buy a new one for a while. I see your point about dropping a reel in the water, however I have read a lot about this real. On the bass pro website someone asked this exact question. Here are people's answers.

Q: 4 answers will this reel hold up after being dunked during deep wading fishing situations?

A: Yes.

A: yes it does i fish the maumee river all the time and in the spring the water is high very often and i have submerged this reel on several occasions and 3 months later it still works like the day i bought it

A: Yes it will. Shimano makes some of the most durable products on the market today. I have owned a Saros for a couple of years now and used it in fresh and salt water. Still works like new. If the reel does get exposed to salt water, make sure to give it a good rinse with warm water when you're done as the other answer states. Can't go wrong with a Shimano spinning reel.

A: Yes. Shimano is well know for the durability of their reels. I've had the Saros , as well as the Sahara's submerged in salt water. Just rinse them out with warm tap water when you get home and they will last.

Am I wrong to assume that even if my real does start to get water residue in it I can't just disassemble it and clean it out and replace the grease?

Anyways Thanks for the info, I will certainly consider that in my search.
[signature]
[quote AdirondackDave]Thanks for your input on this. I am pretty much as amateur as it get's I suppose.

Am I wrong to assume that even if my real does start to get water residue in it I can't just disassemble it and clean it out and replace the grease?

Anyways Thanks for the info, I will certainly consider that in my search.[/quote]

yes once silt and sand get in your reel will be toast. ya i like shimano reel cadrnial reel etc... problem is the river will eat a good reel alive. see most reel were not miltary tested like a good field riffle design errors never were fixed this is most like why so cheap compared to a good fly reel that is cleanable simplisty is best when you start adding in 8-10 bearning, gears ,bails, etc... you lose simplisty. and cause catastrope.any ways not trying to detour you from getting a good decent reel i think those ix reels are total crap but do have a drag that can with stand salmon. if you can find some thing being clearence out woukld be best this way you did not pay as much and just try to be as carefull as posible not to dunk it. the max i woukd spen on a river reel is 40 bucks max. like a mitchell 3000 ya i would not spend 120 on a reel for the river as you can see why. i do own better reels most of the time i use them on a boat or a dock or shore but not wadeing as you can see why the river will eat it alive.
[signature]
Well that is very helpful, I appreciate that. I think if I end up with a more expensive model I will likely not be dunking it underwater and most of my wading is only knee high as it is. Maybe I will pick up another moderately priced reel for doing more intensive wading and river fishing.

I suppose I should consider buying a rod more suited to trout and panfish now for the summer and then consider spending another chunk of change in the fall for something more suited for salmon. My guess is that if I try to get one rod for both tasks I will end up with a rod that doesn't really work well for either.
[signature]
[quote AdirondackDave] My guess is that if I try to get one rod for both tasks I will end up with a rod that doesn't really work well for either.[/quote]

[#0000ff][size 5]bingo you got it! [/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I send my reels out to be serviced as Shimano can be difficult to do your self. Your right, get the right rod for the job. Thats why bass fishermen have so many.[Wink]
[signature]