Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Macin' Report ... 6-23-11
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][#002850]Sorry about being so late posting this report. I’ve been without Internet access from my home for several days now.

Bait_Caster (Terry), N.E.T.O. (Randy), and myself have an annual date with guide Jim Williams around the 23rd of June every year. This is the 6th year that that date has been reserved for us. This year I decided to make it a whole week and invite some friends to fish with me out of my boat on the days that we weren’t with Jim.

Monday, Fishnfool and his brother-in-law fished with me out of my boat. It was cold and windy at first but turned out OK later in the morning. We didn’t catch squat! Sorry Tony.

On Tuesday, the Boston Boys (Vic and Scott) joined me. Except for one small pup that Scott caught, that day was pretty much a bust too.[/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][#002850][/#002850][/size][/font]
[inline "12-Scott's-pup.gif"]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][#002850]I ran into Jim Williams up on the ramp as we were both leaving for the day. I told Jim about my two days of bad luck and he told me about his two days of “fantasy fishing”. He quizzed me about my techniques and boat control and gave me a few tips and pointers.

On Wednesday, I put those pointers to work and the “men of the cloth” (Earl and Ed) had much better success. Earl knocked down a 27 pounder …

[inline 1-Earl-Rod-Bend.gif]

[/#002850][/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][#002850][inline "2-Earl's-in-the-net.gif"][/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#002850][inline "3b-Earl's-27.gif"][/#002850][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#002850][/#002850][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][#002850]And then a thirty pounder. He had another one on and lost it.

[inline "3-Earl's-30-lb.gif"][/#002850][/size][/font]
[size 3][#002850]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]I have to tell you about old Earl. The guy is 81 years old and was in a massive car accident the night before leaving for the Gorge! His car, being hit by trucks and cars from both directions, was totaled. But he still wasn't about to miss his trip fishing for big macs. This ole dude has no problems following instructions and coming up a winner. Way to school us Earl!

On Thursday, Terry, Randy, and I met Captain Jim at the marina and headed out for our annual mac fishing boot camp. By the day’s end, Randy had boated a 16 lb and a 20 lb mac. After Randy had the 20 lb mac hooked and coming up, Terry quickly hooked another 20 pounder for the double.
[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][inline 8-Randy-Rod-Bend.gif][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][inline 7-Terry-Randy-Doubles.gif][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]I put an 18 lb., a 22 lb., and a 34 pounder in the boat that day too.
[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][inline "4-Ralph's-18-lb.gif"][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][inline "5-Ralph's-34-lb-Front.gif"][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][inline "6-Ralph's-34-Side.gif"][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"]So, with Jim, all total we boated six lakers that day.

Also, while we were out with Jim, my boat was free to use. So the Boston boys took it out. Scott caught a 24.
[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][inline "13-Scott's-24.gif"]

And Vic landed a 19.
[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][inline "14-Vic's-19-lb-in-net.gif"]
[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][inline "15-Vic's-19-side.gif"][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"]On Friday, it was time for Terry, Randy, and myself to see if we could practice what we had learned all week. Terry and I apparently hadn’t learnt much but Randy sure put the hammer down. He boated three macs that Friday and lost several more. He boated a 10 lb., a 23 lb., and a 25lb.

[inline "11-Randy's-23-lb.gif"][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][inline 9-Randy-24-lb-side.gif][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][inline 10-Randy-24-Front.gif][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"]We had lots of good fishing, good food, good stories, and lots to laugh about with great friends. We are already making plans for next year.

Jim, if you’re reading this, a big thanks for putting us over fish, telling us what to do and what not to do, and helping us make it a successful week. Hold our spot for next year will ya? Thanks.

If any of you ever want to get in on the mac action before the mac killers drastically reduce the numbers even more, I suggest that you book a trip with Captain Jim Williams at [/font][url "http://www.fishflaminggorge.com/"][font "Comic Sans MS"][#0000ff][size 4]Creative Fishing[/size][/#0000ff][/font][/url][font "Comic Sans MS"] You won’t be disappointed (as long as you do what he tells you to do). Just understand that this is vertical jig fishing with intense concentration on presentation. If you are not up to hours of very focused attention, you may not want to waste your time.

Here are a few Youtube videos that I posted so that I can re-live the rush anytime I want. “Day 1” is our first day of “catching” … NOT our first day of “fishing”.

[/font][url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L35qqaOPGt0"][font "Comic Sans MS"][#810081][size 5]Video … Day 1[/size][/#810081] … Earl Kern schools us good.[/font][/url][font "Comic Sans MS"]

[/font][url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09MJVOMqer4"][font "Comic Sans MS"][#810081][size 5]Video … Day 2[/size][/#810081] … With Guide Jim Williams[/font][/url][font "Comic Sans MS"] … come home to papa you 34 lb. hawg! This video is the longest of the three but is loaded with subtle tips, techniques, and big fish!

[/font][url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMW9sWevq8U"][font "Comic Sans MS"][#810081][size 5]Video … Day 3[/size][/#810081] … Randy has the hot stick of the day. [/font][/url][/#002850][/size]
[signature]
Ralph, I've been waiting all week for that post so I could see the pictures and videos!

Fishing was awesome both Thursday in Jim's boat and Friday in your boat!

I've got my brand new Calcutta 200B reel in my hands at this moment (just arrived here at my house via FedEx) and am planning on spooling it and mounting it on my Tourney Special in a few minutes here. I was kind of surprised that the Daiwa (Accudepth 27LCi) wasn't up to the task as I've never had any troubles with it at all...but then again, I've never caught anything bigger than a few pounds with it before! It was a good lesson in the value of quality equipment. That drag was terrible...especially after using Jim's nice Calcutta's just the day before!

I can't wait to do it again! Thanks for taking the pics and videos. I'm glad you didn't have the video rolling when I lost the first fish on Friday. I can't remember for sure but I think I might have said a bad word and you would have had to edit that out...

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Goodonya Old Coot, great report. I am heading up there next Friday for 3 days on my dream fishing trip. I am from down under and this is a once in a lifetime trip. Going up with my mate who has an 18ft Lund. Any tips you could give me with regard to technique etc would be greatly appreciated. (PM?)

Cheers
Funchy
[signature]
Hey guys im new to this area and was wondering if you guys could PM me some tips and some good places to start. My family is coming up fot the 4th and I dont want it to be a skunk trip. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thank you

Troutnut
[signature]
Where does that guy get his hair cut? I need a high and tight like that!
[signature]
Bass n Ducks asked: [#0080ff]"Where does that guy get his hair cut? I need a high and tight like that!"

[#000000]Lee's Barber shop on Redwood and 9000 South in South Jordan! He's been cutting my hair for about 15 years now!

Randy
[/#000000][/#0080ff]
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
I am going to have to pay him a visit. The people on base dont even make it look that good. it will look even better than my 1st sgt. Haha
[signature]
Nicely done, those are some toads. If I can ever stop chasing bass I'm going to have to try to land one of those bad boys.
[signature]
ASSUME! Post OC!

It's not like we didn't give it a good try, I learned allot buddy and will get back up there and put a hurtin on one of those big bruisers soon.

Congrats! on the biggest fish to date to! That thing was a fat hog! Smile

fnf[cool]
[signature]
Awesome report my friend. I'm sure your folder of "how to" is getting bigger. Someday I hope to fish there, but I know I'd need a guide! [Smile]
[signature]
WOW------I am on for next year!!!!!!!!! That is an insane way of fishing, I am used to trolling but I am up for adventure and training any time. we will hook up next year for sure with you and the Capt. [fishin]
[signature]
If you dont mind me asking, where were you fishing?
[signature]
dude if he tells where capt jim had him dippin lines capt jim will castraite him!!! rent a guide and find out.[Wink]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]To all you well meaning guys that would simply like to go up on your own and catch a few of those big guys, I have to tell ya, Captain Jim Williams has spent over 20 years finding the fish, and experimenting with lures and techniques. We pay $600 a morning to have him put us over the fish and TRY to teach us the technique. Because the formula is all so long and hard to come by, I just wouldn't feel right sharing it over the Internet. (Yea, right, like I even could!).[/size][/#000000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4][/size][/#000000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]So, to you well meaning guys who have sent me PMs and inquired here on this thread, I don't blame you for asking. I did too. But out of respect for how much time, money, and resourses it has cost myself, the guide, and others, I think I would just rather encourage you to contact Captain Jim Williams at his Web site at [/size][/#000000][/font][url "http://www.fishflaminggorge.com/"][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]Creative Fishing Adventures[/size][/#000000][/font][/url][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]. Or, shoot him a PM. He goes by [/size][/#000000][/font][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/community/community.cgi?do=user_page;pg=user_profile_view.html;username=Tarponjim"][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]Tarponjim [/size][/#000000][/font][/url][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]here on BFT. He is the best there is when it comes to knowing how to jig for big lake trout on Flaming Gorge.[/size][/#000000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]I know that aint the answer you were looking for but in six years or so from now when you are beinging asked the same questions, you too will be careful how you answer.[/size][/#000000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]I sure don't mean to be a jerk here, but that's the best I feel I can say for now.[/size][/#000000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]Now, if you want to know more how to catch "the hardest fighting fish on the face of the earth" (wiper), let me know and I'll tell you all I know.[/size][/#000000][/font]
[signature]