Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay - 7/1
I had some free time last night, so I went up to the South Marina of Willard last night. We trolled the southeast side, from about 7 to 11. We were trolling some lipless crankbaits, and some rapalas. An hour into it, I hooked into a 17 inch walleye. After another 45 minutes, my father got into a 6 lb wiper. He was very excited, he hasn't caught one in a few years. So he had a little problem with the stringer, and getting the fish on it! The mouth was a little to big to fit it on but he did, and placed it in the water. We trolled for another 15 minutes, and he checked the stringer, and that darned fish bent the metal out of the clip and it was gone..[shocked] My dad almost went into cardiac arrest! But then, at about 10:45, my pops hooked another wiper, and he got it in the boat. This one wasn't as big, only about 4.5 lbs. For all of the hype, I didn't think the fishing was all that good. The bugs weren't bad at all, just a few skeeters. Even though we didn't catch that many fish, it was great to get out with my dad and spend some quality time with him!
[signature]
Thanks for the report...

I noticed the bugs were not bad at all during the day... maybe that is because I fish close to shore... I know a lot of boat anglers that complain about them out on the open lake but for the most part it is warm enough that the majority of them hide until an hour before or after dark.

Probably depends a lot on where you are at.
[signature]
I live in the town of south Willard and when the skeeters get bad we have a guy that drives up and down the streets at night with a dogger truck. I wonder if they have ever thought about making a fogger boat to drive around that lake late at night every other week? Bet it would help..
[signature]
I fished the west dike untill dark with my friend, and we got eaten alive by the skeekers as the sun set. There were [#ff4040]tons[/#ff4040] of bugs everywere.
[signature]