Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TM C&R Info
Believe you me I want to share this with you because in our early TM quest well I'll be the first to admit we made some really dumb mistakes but strived to learn from them. We're not perfect by any means but have learned from experience and reading.

Anyways, here's a link to the DWR page to view and then my .02 on the topic.

[url "http://wildlife.utah.gov/fishing/tiger_muskie_tips.php"]http://wildlife.utah.gov/...iger_muskie_tips.php[/url]

Don’t fight the fish to exhaustion….get the fish to the boat as quickly as possible especially in the summer and higher water temps. Fighting the fish in warm water temps depletes oxygen and causes more TM to die when released.

Bottom-line...You don't want to use a Zebco 33 with 6-10# test line to fish for TM. Yea folks will say I landed a TM on 10# test line but they leave out how long they fought the fish to keep the line from breaking. Quality tackle and the proper line are a must. Strongly recommend superbraid rated to at least 60# test. We've yet to have a TM break our superbraid line...we use power pro.

Superbraid line will not stretch like mono and believe you me you can get the bertha to the boat quickly but you'll have to give a little especially when the fish wants to run if you've caught it on the cast. Get the fish turned around and stopped keeping your rod tip down and be ready as the fish will go for the launch and dive trying to throw the lure.

Always keep the rod tip down if you note the line coming up on the surface or if the fish is just coming along as you reel...the fish is going to go airborne and having your rod tip down will help prevent and even reduce the fish coming totally out of the water. If you feel like the lure seems to be ting, ting...pulling out of the fish...it isn't this is the TM famous head shaking just keep the line always tight.

A good quality large basket knotless net is recommended to help prevent injuring the eyes, fins, and protective coating. But these nets are pricey...but well worth it in protecting the fish. We have a Frabill. Cradles are nice but you need two people use a cradle and if not done right the fish will escape out the ends.... nets/cradles are large and can take up space in smaller boats...

Now if you hook into a TM:

Get it to the boat quickly in warmer temps. Don't fight the fish to exhaustion be prepared with the proper tackle.

Keep the fish in the net in water while removing the hook(s). We've found 85% of the time the hook comes out in the net as when you hook a TM 95% of the time it's just lipped hooked. However the larger the hooks the more likely they won't be coming out in the net.

If you have to cut the hook(s) cut the hooks and remove the pieces. We've cut line and dozens of hooks and carry spares with us. Folks hooks are cheap. You'll need a good mouth spreader and quality side cutters. We used other cutters and by far the Knipex Hook Cutter is superior these things cut the largest of trebles/single hook with ease. Yea pricey but try using a pair of side cutters to cut a large Musky hook and you'll find out quickly as we did. You can find these cutters via Al Gores internet Goggle search...

Never and I mean Never grab the lure while in the fish...these fish will flop in the net and you don't want to have a treble go into you while still hooked to the fish...learned that lesson very quickly...thank God the fish didn't flop and boy the Knipex Cutter was PRICELESS.

Once the hook(s) is out get it out of the way and stow the rod.

Don’t place the fish on the bottom of a hot metal boat in the summer. Put something down on the bottom of the boat but again never lie the fish on bare hot metal. Another death sentence to the fish. We've all I'm sure a time or two walked outside barefoot on the hot cement or even while in the boat got a little surprise by how hot the metal got from the sun...

Never pinch the fish's eye's that's an ole wise tail. If you do this it will damage the eyes causing blindness.

With the fish 'still' in the net get the camera out and ready meaning turn the camera on and have a measuring device ready prior to ever lifting the fish out of the net and water. This saves precious time as when the fish is out of the net and in the boat isn't the time to start look'n for the camera/tape measure/ or to even begin to remove hooks. Be prepared prior to ever lifting the fish out of the net. I can't stress this enough leave the fish in the net and get the boat ready.

With the TM in the net and water in the net grab the tail and turn it on side this puts the fish into a trance like state.

Keep the fish on it's side firmly gripping the tail then with the other hand place it in the forward most portion of the gill plate not in the gills. Have a very firm and I mean firm grip. Lift the fish into the boat for a quick measurement/picture. We measure first then picture. Quickly back into the water or into the net if you want to make sure the picture turned out. We use a bump board to measure the fish as it's quick...

Never continually hold the fish in a vertical position as this can damage vital internal organs as gravity takes over. A fish uses the water to support it in the 'horizontal' position. Again don't hold the fish for any length of time in a vertical position always hold it with both hands in the horizontal position.

You should strive to not have the fish out of the water for more than 25-30 seconds maximum. We try like heck to have the fish back in the water in 20 seconds and it's quick measure/photo back in the water.

Now for the release don’t just plop the fish over the side…place the fish in the water holding it’s tail moving it from side to side with the other hand under it supporting the fish until you feel the fish wanting to swim away on its own. Just plopping a “large” TM over the side can be a death sentence to the fish.

Tiger Muskies are a “sterile” fish…once it’s gone that’s one less. The DWR was able to find a disease free strain and has again began stocking TM after several years of no stocking. Additionally as most of you know DWR now is raising it's own TM stock. Super job by the DWR and we certaintly appreciate the years of searching and hard work they put in to make this a reality for Utah allowing for a great game fish to be in Utah.

TM caught on proper tackle and then properly handeled and released has a great chance to survive. However, and unfortunately there may be a time or two when you've done everything right but the fish expires. Following the suggestions above will put the odds in your and this great fishes favor of a successful release.

So there you have it good luck and I hope the above helps allowing you to successfully release your fish. [Image: icon_wink.gif] [Image: icon_wink.gif]
[signature]
What a great, informative post. Thank you for the firsthand info!
[signature]
+1

Thanks for the great post.

Always Sad to see this sight.
Thanks for the info - hope we can all prevent more casualties.

Precious beasts.

Would still love to try filleting one, if they get to adding a "slot" someday.
Sorry to drudge up an old thread, but thank you very much. Now is about as good of time as any to bring this back to the top with all the muskie talk. This is VERY informative and is a must read for anyone plan on fishing somewhere that there is any chance they MIGHT hook a TM. I think a lot of people assume because of their size, they are tough as nails and will survive anything.

Very informative
Thank you.
[signature]
+1
[signature]
Vivid-Dawn if you are targeting other fish in TM waters just be prepared.

Some may disagree with this recommendation but upgrade your line to a superbraid for example 40# test Power Pro has the same diameter as 10# Mono. Yea this line may be more expensive but we use it when fishing for Walleye and also Pan Fish such as Crappie, Perch, Gill and still catch fish. Our reels are spooled with 65# test line diameter equal to 16# Mono. So even with superbraid we still catch other fish. But hey thats what we use and not an issue for us unless we snag the bottom then its working like heck to get the lure off...

Don't think about not fishing Newton just because you could hook a Tiger just be prepared. Hope you get your nice LMB and some tasty Perch. Good Luck!! [Smile][Smile]
[signature]
Vivid dawn

I don't know if you remember me but you went out on Willard with the family and me.
If I caught a tiger on those conditions I would try and feel it out. Most of the time(99%) the tiger will just break you off... My option and it could be wrong is still try and boat the fish as cutting 50' of line might be as bad for the tiger to drag around and get snagged up.. But I feel (and again I could be wrong) is the warmer it is the more critical it is to do everything you can to see that the fish lives to fight another day. [Wink]
[signature]
+1 No need to cut the line if the fish breaks off so be it. And yes the warmer the water causes the fish to become exhausted very quickly...get the fish to the boat or shore quickly...
[signature]
Just use a lighter leader on the end of your line. About 2 feet of 4-6 lb test should work. You can catch lots of bass and panfish on it, but you can break it off fairly easily if a TM hits it. Also works for bad hangups. It sacrifices your hook and a short piece of line that shouldn't be a problem for a TM.
[signature]
[font "Courier New"][#0000bf][size 3]k2 - Okay, I'll look into those lines. Despite being on a budget, I would rather spend a little more money for good quality than sacrifice big mess-ups of any kind.
Actually, now that I look at a map, Newton is a little too far anyway. UL and Willard are closer, so I might just save Newton if I really get desperate for perch Wink

UThunting - I remember going with you. Would love to do it again!

cpierce - Ohhh, good idea! I usually do that anyway to link a swivel from main line to a "leader"/snell hook and lure. I just always used the same line for it all.
[/size][/#0000bf][/font]