Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry
[size 2]I’ve been visiting the BFT forum for the last year and have enjoyed reading all of the comments.

Anyway I figured it was time to register and jump in and get my feet wet. My son’s and I fish Willard, Pine View, Flaming Gorge, and Strawberry most of the time. Our most recent trip was to Strawberry last Saturday – we fished from 9 AM to 7 PM and caught 14 cuts – 5 of the cuts were between 20 to 24". We also caught about a dozen chubs at Indian creek bay – fertilizer and Mac bait. We caught most of the fish with various white colored ¼ oz jigs. We’ve had days at the Berry when we caught 40-50 fish and some days 2 or 3.But it was a great day to be out on the water. The only down side of the day was the number of the people we saw keeping cuts in the 15 to 22" slot. Strawberry has great potential to be a world class trophy cutthroat fishery if people would respect the slot limit. We caught plenty of fish under 15" for the table, but we released all the cuts that we caught Saturday. I’m excited about future of Strawberry, but everyone that fishes Strawberry needs to be a true sportsman and respect these new regulations.

Life’ a dream when you’re fishing. [/size]
[signature]
Welcome aboard!!! Looking forward to your insite about your fishing experiences, expecially your 40 fish days a strawberry!!![Wink] Some people feel that ignorance is bliss with the slot at strawberry. Those people think they are an exception to the rule. All summer long I was questioned and informed constantly by DWR officers and volunteers about the slot, which I thought was great. But last weekend I went up there, there wasnt a officer to be found!!! Now that it is slowing down. I am not bashful to express my opinion of these people directly to them!!! It is funny to watch them try and get all there stuff together in a flash, when you yell out to them that the DWR is on there way!!!

Keep fishing, its great for your health!!!
[signature]
Welcome to the board dreamweaver!! I'm still new here too...in fact newer than you! I only found this board in July, and I can't stay away now!!! Looking forward to your posts!!!

If I would've seen that, I would've reported them to the DWR for sure!!!
[signature]
It's good to have you aboard! I'm pretty new around here too, but as catman said it's impossible to stay away. Thanks for the good report on Strawberry. I'm looking foreward to sharing posts and comments with you and your sons. [Smile]
[signature]
[cool]Hey welcome from another new member. Bienvenidos. I just barely joined myself at the end of August. You can have alot of fun on this board and all the other boards that are out there. We all look forward to whatever it is that you have to share with us.[cool]
[signature]
Welcome Dreamweaver. I have also had some great days on Strawberry, but last Saturday wasn't one of them. We really struggled with everything that we tried (which was the total reverse of a trip two weeks earlier). I blamed the almost full moon, but in that you had a better day than us, I guess that I will have to come up with a new excuse -- heaven forbid that it was because I am a lousy fisherman! I have also seen some folks keeping fish that looked questionable from a distance, and I have also been pleased to see the DWR and volunteers active up there this year.
[signature]
[size 1]I agree that the moon had an influence on the fishing at Strawberry last Saturday. We had to fish hard and long to catch fish; but I can’t always pick and choose the right time go fishing – (no work or honey dues). My oldest boy is flying in from Minnesota this weekend and we will be heading up to the Berry to try it again. And he’s excited – now that’s a complement for Strawberry considering that he’s coming from a state that has 10,000 lakes. One day I would like to try and fish the Berry at night when there’s a full moon. Last June we fished Willard at night during a full moon for Wipers and caught a lot of nice sized wipers - on jigs of course.

Life’ a dream when you’re fishing! [/size]
[signature]
[#ff0000]Cheers to ya' and Welcome! Any Strawberry luck with those Kokes in the past? We sure couldn't find them. I was up that way this summer for the first time in many years and sure liked the preliminary results of the slot limit. Thanks for being one of those sportsmen that don't need policing, and teaching your sons the same ethics. Pleasure to know you all ready. [/#ff0000]
[signature]
DW, I trolled the Berry last year on a full moon and had a great time. The Cutts are quite agressive particularly during the September full moon. I was trolling both the deep and shallower water and was amazed how well they could see. It was a ton of fun so long as your dressed for it.

Also I noticed you said some of the chubs were for Mac bait. I have thought about the potential of whole chubs at Flaming Gorge but never tried it. Is it effective?

Tightline
[signature]
I fished Strawberry overnight earlier this year, from my boat, using whole shiner minnows, and although the moon was only about 1/8 the fishing was still almost non-stop action. We finally had to reel in at 2:30 AM, so that we could get some sleep.
[signature]
Tightline, in regards to your question about using whole chubs at the Gorge. Back in the 70's and 80's when there was a good population of chubs in the Gorge, they were more efective than they seem to be today. But because fresh chubs at the Gorge have been hard to come by in the last 10 yrs. I haven't fished with them. Last Saturday was the first time in years that I have caught any chubs. I'm always fishing for bigger fish with bigger jigs and lures so if there are chubs present I never hook up with them. Yes in years past chubs 6" or less were effective at times - not alway's - but thats mac fishing, you never know whats going to work from one trip to the next.

Life' a dream when your fishing![Smile]
[signature]
I'll have to stop at Jordanelle or the Berry and pick up some bait to try on the Macs some time. I can't imagine it not working. But like you said you never know with the creatures of the deep.
[signature]
welcome to the board sounds like you had a good day.
[signature]
Welcome aboard we're always looking for more experienced fishermen whose mind we can pick to learn more about fishing our favorite waters.
[signature]