Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoked CAT!!!
[fishon]
Ok so some JERK! (MEANT IN A VERY NICE WAY) gave me a piece of smoked Channel Cat. And I'm not sure I have tasted something that good in my life......so now I'm all jacked up and can't stop thinking of the damn thing.....GREAT NOW I HAVE TO GO BUY A SMOKER AND I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO USE ONE!!!!

Thanks a lot coyote!!!! :-)
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I know where that smokitty came from. Several pieces were missing from my stash when Lavaman and CS left my tackletorium last Monday.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The attached writeup should help a bit. Lots of variations possible...type of smoker, type of wood used, temperature and humidity, thickness of fish fillets, brining & seasoning, etc. You will likely go through a few trial and error batches before you start getting something you REALLY like. That's when all your best buddies drop over for a visit and head for your refrigerator before saying hello.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[fishon]
TD beat him down...he might be taking credit for your fish....all though he did mention he had some of yours and it was awesome. But he said he made this batch himself....we will get to the bottom of this!! :-)
[signature]
Man TD, you have a PDF for everything! Such a stud!
[signature]
He is actually referring to a sampling of the Coyote Crafted Cat. I didn't want to part with my precious sampling of YOUR smoked kitty (you're sure you didn't feed us carp, right?![:p]).
Plus I had a larger supply of my own.

Had wanted to bring some to you, but it didn't make it along for the ride. Just have to plan a future meet-up, and we can have us a taste-off. Though - can't say any one batch is ever going to be the same as the next. I measure by pinches and proportions, no tablespoons or weighted measures. [cool]
I did like your balance of sweet and spice. Very nice!

It was funny - after I warmed a bit in the microwave one of the bosses though they smelled Salami. So - had to offer up a sample - set 'em straight. Bit of hot-sauce and horseradish to dip in. Hmmm mmm.
Finally picked up some of that Panko - bit of creole and cajun seasoning, sprinkled with breading and baked to flaky perfection. I seriously need to resupply!

[center]I know where I'm going sometime this weekend!
[/center]
[fishon]
Thank you for the info.
[signature]
Yep, its good stuff but dont put out for a smoker, no need to. just keep popping in at Pats place and swipe his stash while he's creating something up for ya. Thats how I do it.. Ha!
[signature]
Don't do it. Once you start you can never go back.[Tongue]
[signature]
[quote tlspyder13]Don't do it. Once you start you can never go back.[:p][/quote]

yeah - and there's no patch that'll satisfy that craving!!! It's a gateway thing - next you know you'll be into salmon, trout, bass-even. Then things start turning fowl!!

It cracked me up - shared some with my neighbor at work from the last batch - and he took a nibble, and then just sat there sniffing it for a while.

One thing to be said for facial hair - holds the flavor!!!
[cool][#0000ff]I am sure that your "product" is fine and tasty. Not trying to steal your thunder. I suspect that your recipe is an evolution of the original info I passed on...and that you adjusted to your system and your tastes. That's what it's all about.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Catfish is an ideal subject for the smoker. Firm flesh that picks up the flavors of the brine and the smoke. Takes a lot of cooking without being destroyed...unlike trout and other more delicate species. Almost impossible to overcook or oversmoke catfish. In fact, I prefer it smoked almost to jerky...with as much moisture and oil smoked out of it as possible...while still leaving some chewiness and good flavor.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Nope. No absolutes when it comes to smokin' the kitties. Start out with a "reasonable" amount of seasonings and cook for a "reasonable" amount of time at the temperature setting of your choice. Then make adjustments to get the desired end result. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Like they say about other things in life..."It's all good, but some is better than others."[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Not at all friend (can I call you that now - since we done been personalized in person! Or do we gotta hit water together first? [Wink]
Itching to pitch that stoplight! Gotta say the "cousins" were impressed by the glam-collection! Nephew is a big-time basser in the making!)

Funny that you say - my "early" days with the orange/dome smoker I found in a spring cleanup pile served well for some Salmon slabs, but it was when I discovered proper "brine-ing" that my Mrs remarked - "THAT's what it's SUPPOSED to taste like".

[center]I live, I learn - and of course THEN claim to be an expert![pirate]

[/center]
Sadly my boy has developed an allergy to the salmon/trout family. Hopefully he'll grow out of it! (pisses him off, cuz he LOVES a good smoked salmon)

But I've also learned (the hard way) that a 'number' of days on brine can turn a nice trout to a salty mess.
Ironic - I had thought I'd over-smoked that last batch, but in trying YOUR fine offerings - was impressed by the 'done-ness' of your smoke fillets. I like the Salmon or Trout to have some juice-iness, but I share your desire to "dry" the cats.

Used to be big on growing Herbs. My wife helped to learn me on the notion of "limiting" the number of flavors used at one thyme. So now - I go with the notion of 3s Salt/Sweet/Spice. Kinda like the Karate Kid and his need for BALANCE.
[quote TubeDude]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The attached writeup should help a bit.[/#0000ff][/quote]

wow nice write up!

Do you have one for trout?

Looking for some new recipes.My method is a bit to salty and bland....
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sorry, but I don't have a special writeup for trout. There have been a bazillion trout smoking recipes posted over the years...and you can find hundreds with a search engine.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My preferred method of smoking trout is to skip the brining process altogether. I simply fillet the fish and cut them into smoking size pieces (see pics). I leave the skin on and smoke them skin side down. The skin keeps the fillets intact during handling and smoking and peels off easily when they are done. I seldom smoke small trout but you can smoke them whole if they are too small for filleting. Just "butterfly" them to expose the flesh and proceed as if you had a fillet.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Rather than brining, I simply sprinkle a bit of sea salt, some white sugar and some brown sugar on the fillets...while on the rack. I leave them sitting at room temperature for an hour or so...on paper towels to absorb the liquid pulled out of the fillets. The last thing I do before putting them in the smoker is season them. I have my own super spice recipe but there are a lot of seasonings that go well with trout and salmon.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Trout do not require a lot of smoking. They are suitably done as soon as they become light pink and flaky...and have absorbed a bit of smoke. Thus, you should salt and season them according to your own likes...not some exotic recipe. It is more like a dry rub than a brine. And there is no hard and fast rule that you can't adjust seasoning after the smoking process. Best to do that while they are still hot so the new flavors are absorbed better. Try a piece fresh off the smoker and decide what else it needs...if anything.[/#0000ff]
[signature]

Do you have one for trout?
.[/quote]

GROSS! [Wink]
[signature]
What's gross? smoked trout, or trout period? Struck me as odd when ice fishing - folks were big into the Blue-gill, and wanted nothing to do with the trout.

Had a bud that "donated" his trout - I was able to "return" the product after a good smokeout - and well, I think it was well recieved.

Recent Post: [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/Utah_Fishing_General_F58/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=74497"]Smoking Salmon/Trout[/url]

Not my recipe - so take it with a grain of salt. Wait - that is my recipe! Salt, Garlic, Onion, Pepper - plus. I think TD's spot on - I like to keep the skin on my salmon fillets, then peel off, scrape back the "grey" and you're on your way. Trout likewise do well with skin intact during cooking - think it both helps as far a moisture container, and holding the fish together.
Typically - when smoking - the smoke flavor is absorbed in the early part of the process, then once the meat is "seared" it's a matter of heat (low and slow) and potentially added moisture. But now I'm into ribs/brisket/pork roasts, and mopping sauces. Typically not necessary for fish - as cooking time is much quicker.

There's a whole world of woods to consider too. Many impart different unique flavors. Some heavy, some lighter, some even sweeter. Experimentation is fun to be had! And if you've go access to trees, a bit of pruning, good supply of smoking woods to be had for sure!
[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]There have been a bazillion trout smoking recipes posted over the years...and you can find hundreds with a search engine.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[/quote]

Will do thanks
[signature]
[fishon]
I would probably want to do it to the point of jerky! Almost dry. I like that idea TD! I also probably wouldn't smoke trout just because i have so many recipes that taste great and are quick...but not so much for CAT. Thank you all!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I agree. Trout are good in many other ways but are also good smoked. I usually prefer to pan fry or oven broil my filleted trout. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Cats are good fried but are not the best candidates for baking...unless you use thin fillets and bake them hot and long. They take more cookin'. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I discovered the jerky-smoke goodness kinda by accident. Forgot some fillets in the smoker for a few hours longer than intended. But whaddayaknow? Turned out fine even in the dried out mode. Since then I have been purposely leaving them in the smoker a bit longer and checking to make sure they were still edible...so I could save them before they were burnt offerings.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In fact, I have accelerated the "doneness" in a couple of ways when faced with running out of time...or having to remove the fillets before turning in at night. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One is to fire up the gas grill and let them sizzle for a few minutes on low fire. They are already plenty smoky but just need some final oil and moisture removal. Also a good method for pork chops and ribs. Smoke them a while and then finish them off on the grill.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]The second method is a bit trickier...especially if your "housemates" don't like the smell of smoked fish. That is to put them on a sheet of aluminum foil on a cookie sheet and bake them for a while in the oven...inside. They turn out great but nobody has to wonder whether or not you smoke fish if they visit during the next few days. But on a day when you can open up the windows and air out the place quickly it ain't too bad.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Once you have a nice batch of "well done" smoked kitty you can munch it straight or add it to other things. I like chopping it up and sprinkling it on salad...and potato salad...like Baco bits. It is also great when blended with cream cheese for a super chip dip.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[fishon]
Thanks for the great tips as always TD!
[signature]
HGD that was some mighty good smoked treats you gave us the other day. Just wanted to say thanks.
[signature]