Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Mercury Wiring Experts Out There ?
Took my 1984 Mercury 35HP to the lake and it failed to start. I was able to jump the solenoid and get the motor to turn over. I isolated it down to the keyswitch I opened up the controls and found the keyswitch in two pieces. I ordered a sierra products replacement switch and spent hours researching the correct color codes for a mercury motor and came up with the following. I scanned the instructions that came with the switch and labeled each color and where I connected it.

Can anyone look at my diagram and point me in the right direction. Only possibility I can see is that the black with yellow stripe and yellow with Black Stripe are in the wrong positions.

When i try and start nothing happens. If i push the key in I can hear the choke engage properly.

Any help would be appreciated.
[signature]
I'm no expert on boat wiring but it should be fairly easy to figure out. What ever you do don't touch the red and black wires together[Wink]. You should be able to test which is the correct wire hookup by knowing how it was hooked up to your old switch. If you didn't write that info down, you can try switching a few wires. It sounds like you have the choke wire hooked up correctly because, if I remember correctly, newer motors have the choke hooked up so when you push the key in, the choke engages, is that how it worked before? That should mean that the wire going to the choke is right and the hot wire(red) is hooked up right and the ground wire(black) is hooked up right. That just leave the other three wires. You can figure out the wire color that goes to the solenoid by looking at the wire connected to the solenoid.at the motor, if that color is purple then the only two wires that are left need to be switched. Hope that helps, if it doesn't, try sending a PM to [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/community/community.cgi?do=user_page;pg=user_profile_view.html;username=MERCURYMAN"]Mercuryman[/url], I think he works at a boat dealership.
[signature]
Thanks for the reply. Fortunately I was able to find my own problem. Don't try and start the motor unless the throttle is in the neutral position. Sad

Just thought I would admit my own stupidity and let everyone know the wiring is correct.

Thanks
[signature]
LOL, I thought about mentioning that but I thought I better not. [Wink] Good to hear you figured it out.
WH2
[signature]