Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Owyhee River
I went Tuesday afternoon to the Owyhee and it turned on starting at 5:30 PM. I had only caught three fish in the two hours before that throwing large woolly buggars. The largest was 22" and the smallest was 19". At 5:30 I moved up into slow slack water to check things out and big fish were hitting the surface everywhere. I tied on two PMDs and then I had a blast. I could have caught more fish in that slack water, but I wasted a lot of time landing fish because as I caught my first one at about 4:00 I realized my net was still attached to my pontoon at home. I had to walk the fish to shore to land them next to the reeds.It amazed me that the fish were in shallow water. Most of the time I was standing water that was a foot and a half deep. I caught 11 fish in the next 2 hours with only 4 less than 18". One of the small ones was a mighty mite at just 4". Sorry no photos. The only disappointment was that the fish were rather thin and did not fight as hard as they did last year.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Sounds like the river is coming back after the spring flooding. Makes sense that they are in slack water after getting worn out earlier this year with the high flows. Need to recoup and feed. I had given up on the Owyhee for this year, figured it would take the year to recover. Based on your report, however, sounds like fall fishing might be pretty good.Thanks!
[signature]