Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 7-16
Got up early and hit WIllard this morning. I saw 3 or 4 people had beat me to it..... My fishing buddy never made it and hence the late departure. Not to worry. Trolling out of the north marina picked up 2 dink walleye. I knew it was going to be good. Hit the North dike and had the lake all to myself. Managed 18 walleye. However only 1 fish over 12 inches. I couldn't get my bait down and go 50 feet without picking up a dink. It was impossible to keep the little beggars off. Once it warmed up got 4 smallies, 2 at 14 inches. 3 king sized blue gill, 2 dink crappie, a lonely carp and 6 or so cats all ran about a pound with one at 18 inches. All off worm harnesses and bouncers.

All in all a great day, but NOTHING with any size. Decided to troll across the lake and try for a wiper in freeway bay. I never made it. Picked up 2 wipers crossing the bay. Both clones at 21 inches. Both off shad raps. One at 5 feet deep the other at 10 feet deep. I was going 2.4 to 3.2 miles per hour. Sorry no pics, didn't keep anything and besides I need sleep.
[signature]
Sounds like a pretty good trip... any time you catch a wiper is a good day in my book.

The eyes taste great but they aren't much fun to catch in my opinion.... like pulling in a twig (especially the dinks).

Thanks for the report
[signature]
It was a great day on the bay. I didn't find the numbers of eyes you did but I picked up two one was 20 inches and it really did fight. I caught 18 fish today and six different species but no wipers. It was sure a fun day. Hope some day to get into a wiper.
[signature]
Great posts guys I did ok by my terms still tryin to figure the walleys out but I fished from 5 to 9 and caught 3 walleyes my biggest was 18 inches and one wiper nothing to brag about but is the best I have done this year at the bay
[signature]
Good on'ya guys. I obviously chose the wrong part of the lake to be fishing on, to catch so many dinks. It may have sounded like a great day but I have no fillets to offer up for Sunday breakfast. The wipers were nice but I was ripping across the bay and was almost to exhausted to enjoy them. I changed up my fishing spots to try and avoid the dinks and ended up getting nothing but dinks... Walleye are always tough, oh well. I am going to leave the north file to the bank tanglers for a while. Met a couple of BFT'ers, hope you all did well. I need to have a more reliable fishing partner in the future. Anybody up for a seat in a canoe? It's not the most comfortable chair but it works.

I might even do another "early morning" trip if any one is interested?
[signature]
Was that you alone in the canoe along the north dike just after sunrise? We were in the white with aqua stripe tri-hull with the Merc 115 that trolled past you headed westish. Ran into a nice guy about the same time we passed that got me onto the fish I owe him a bunch for his tip. It made for a fun day. My better fish came later in the day around 11 to noon. Well the cookie cutter cats were scattered all through the day. Anyway if we cross paths I'll say hello.
[signature]
Yup that was me in the canoe. I think we spoke to the same gentleman in the Lund boat. I think it was Shane and Bryce? Cannot remember the names. I was a little tired at the time. I will certainly pass on any info and say hi next time.
[signature]
Sounds great thanks!
[signature]