Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard from shore 7/16
Got to the North dike parking about 6 PM. Walk a little ways past the inlet/outlet (not sure which) and threw out some crawlers 2-3 feet of the bottom, no takers. Fished the second pole with crawler dragged along the bottom and started to get fish. Ended up catching around 15 blue gill, 1 small mouth, and 1 channel. Left at 1030 PM, no lights and bug spray that didn't work. Would have stayed longer other wise. Quite a few people fishing the dike that night.

Quick question, if anyone could answer. When fishing the cats off the shore and soaking a bait, do you put it right on the bottom or with a leader. If with leader how far of the bottom? I was using a bubble of the bottom with 2-3 feet leader. Tried a slip sinker once and had to break off because of a snag. Any info would be awesome.

Thanks.
[signature]
Usually we would send you a PM, but when it comes to Willard Bay Catfish there really are no secrets. When it comes to plunking a worm on the bottom for Catfish at Willard we usually use size 1 or 2 Eagle Claw hooks with a worm and put splitshot weights about 6 inches to a foot away from the bait. With lots of slack in the line you must keep an eye to the line. When the line starts to move wait about 3-5 seconds and set the hook (typically off to the side rather than straight up). If you set the hook too soon, or if there is too much tension on the line the Catfish will spit the bait right back out at you. Bring lots of hooks because the Cats tend to swallow the hook past the point of easy retrieval. After about 20min of no bits we will usually move to a new location. Remember when it comes to Catfish it is all about location, location, location. Here is some picture proof of our technique working at Willard Bay on St Patricks Day. Hope this helps out a little.
[signature]
First, I have onlty caught one bluegill in Willard, so that is cool. Any size to them?

Willard isn't my best lake by far (I'm no expert) but for cats in general I like either:

A slip sinker, short leader and open bail. Watch for line leaving the reel, flip it closed and set the hook.

A slip float system (bobber stop, bead, and float) that allows you to place a bait close to the bottom or adjust to any depth. Great at night with a glowing bobber... It seems catfish often prowl along where the flat bottom meets the riprap, except in the really shallow portions.

Or, just a big bait on a hook allowed to settle slowly, and a slack line or open bail.

Catfish have bigger mouths than you might think. I think people use hooks too small. I like size 0 or thereabout, octopus or Eagleclaw baitholders. When I fish with cut bait, like carp chunks, I make them 2"x2"x1" or so and just thread the hook through it once almost in the middle, point exposed. If I "hide" the hook I miss a lot of bites. Not such a problem with worms.
[signature]