Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek to Utah Lake to Tibble Fork 7-20
From my twin....
Deer Creek- Got up at 6am (the earliest ever for fishing) and headed up to Deer Creek. Arrived at Charelston Beach around 8am and by then 13 other fishing boats had beaten me to the inlet. Looking for some fish/solitude on my pontoon I went to the left of the launch area insted of the right. Fished the reeds with a Silver Blue Fox #2 tipped with a nightcrawler (after trying several previous trips with gold and black, I have given up on those colors at that lake) and put a worm under the bobber for the 2nd pole. After an hour of watching the carps jump I decided to join the flotilla at the inlet reeds. Watched as a boater picked up large Rainbow Trout which added to some extra false hope. After 2 hours of trying my best I was unable to get even a bite. After watching the same boaters get another Rainbow I decided to cut my losses and bail. With plenty of day left I flipped a coin between the Uintas or Utah Lake. Utah Lake was the winner.
[Image: 730720.JPG]

Utah Lake- Let me start off by saying that Utah Lake was the only good idea of the day. Hit the Saratoga Marina around 1pm. Saw an old man in my catfish/bass spot so I decided to join him. He said that the Catfish must have known I was coming beacuse of course, as soon as I showed up the bites turned off. Not true. After drowning a worm next to the reeds for 20 minutes I watched as my pole bent in half. After a quick but surprizingly strong fight I got my biggest Channel Cat to date, a nice 3.5 pounder. Amazing how quick the spectators on the beach turned into seagulls when I said I was gonna release it. These people must not care about the fish consumption advisory attached to all the Channel Cats. With the second pole I used my favorite Bass roostertail spinner and never even got a bite. I switched to a similar color spinnerbait tipped with a nightcrawler and still nothing from the Bass department. After an hour or so I switched the 2nd pole over to a Catfish rig. After an hour of nothing from both poles I watched as a 10 year old pulled out a mighty 2-3 inch White Bass. Then the arial display of affection started for awhile (see picture). Far from impressed with the action I told the followers on the beach that I was going to head to Tibble Fork to get me some Trout.
[Image: 730716.JPG]
[Image: 730721.JPG]

Tibble Fork- Tried to drive to Silver Lake but my little car could not make the road so back to the crowded Tibble Fork I returned. Set up my pontoon and set sail for my favorite spot. To my surprize I found a couple of bank tanglers in the area pulling out fish. The wind was too much for the toon so I joined my brothers of the shore. Just as I got both poles on the water a group of 15 Canooers (3 young/loud girls to each one) drifted into the lakes hot spot. Loud, throwing watermellons into the water as well as rubber ducks and did I say loud, they managed to shut down all the bites. The bank tanglers were smart and left after a few minutes of harassment. They told me while passing by that they managed 14 Rainbows each before the girls showed up. I stayed (call me subbern) and after an annoying hour they left and the bites came back. I must have had 30 bites on the nightcrawler under a bobber...but NO HOOK UPS! I switched hook sizes, bait, bobber sizes, hook setting techniques....every trick in the book and got no returns when the bobber went under. TALK ABOUT STRESSFUL!!!!! I switched to sinking one rig and put on a Gold Blue Fox #2 on the other rig while on the pontoon and never even got a bite. Went back to the worm and bobber technique and the bites returned but still no hook ups. WTF!!!! Desperate for some Trout fillets I stayed until 8pm and thats right you guessed it, never managed one trout into the pontoon. Frustrated I left and promised myself that the next time I go looking for trout...I am gonna try a much higher elevation (can you say Uintas). Talked to some float tubers and bank tanglers as I left that had similar complaints about Tibble Fork lately. As I recall no hook ups is why I quit going there 2 months ago. Maybe I will hit Tibble again in the fall....till then I guess the trout will sleep easier at night.
12 hours and just one Channel Catfish to show for it. It is days like this one today that make the Bluegill slaying over the weekend at Mantua just that much more special. I hate fishing....I LOVE CATCHING!!!!
[signature]
i am glad i'm not the only one not catching a dang thing at DC. i have been there the last 4days in a row from shore just about everywhere on the lake and have thrown everything in my tackle box at them and nothing!! (but i really am sorry you didnt catch anything) it is just nice to know im not the only one getting skunked.
[signature]
I love fishing regardless of the "catching" but catching does make it more fun.

Those Tibble trout can be hard to catch.
[signature]
Can you say "too much pressure". I'm from that neck of the woods, and I understand your pain. Too many people and not enough fishing areas (within easy reach). That's why you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the Uintas.

My brother wants me to come down there and fish DC with him this Saturday. I told him no thanks, but I'll be happy to join him at Lindon Boat Harbor, so that's the plan.

At least you got out fishing, wish is always a good thing.
[signature]
[quote steve_o]
[quote steve_o wrote:][/quote]
i am glad i'm not the only one not catching a dang thing at DC. i have been there the last 4days in a row from shore just about everywhere on the lake and have thrown everything in my tackle box at them and nothing!! (but i really am sorry you didnt catch anything) it is just nice to know im not the only one getting skunked.[/quote]

I've tried nightfishing at Sailboat, Wallsburg Bay, Rainbow Bay and just past Island Beach this year for a couple of nights/early mornings and had similar results (all I saw was a tiny dead white bass on the shore). The only time I catch fish (mainly smallmouths) at Deer Creek is in the fall. As I said to my twin (who is smart enough never to follow me to Deer Creek) I am DONE WITH DEER CREEK this year.
[signature]

[quote OldTroller]I love fishing regardless of the "catching" but catching does make it more fun.

Those Tibble trout can be hard to catch.[/quote]

It all depends on the time of year. We were there on the pontoons a couple of months ago and we slayed the brown and rainbow trout using a salmon egg on a size 10 hook under the bobber. I tried the same set up yesterday and only got 1 bite....mean while the worm rig was going under water like crazy. I have never had so many bites and no hook ups. If only there were bluegill there I would able to blame it on them. Much like Deer Creek....I am done with Tibble Fork for now.
[signature]
i hear that i think we are going to hit the nelle. the thing that gets me is 3weeks ago me and some friends went to the state park boat ramp at 10pm and fished till 2am and we caught around 20 rainbows and now nothing. i think i am done with deer creek as well.
[signature]