Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelley Pond Bass
Well, we went out to Shelley pond last night and fished the point from around 5:30-9:30. First cast using a worm and we had a nice probably 15" bass, then nothing for the next 2 hours.

Had a nice guy from Poky come down and fish with us for a bit, he had waders and went out between the two points. Nothing for a while then he caught a 14-15" bass, a smaller 13" maybe 3' from him while he was reeling in, and I hooked a dinky 7" on my rapala.

Fish were jumping all over the place the entire time, but we just couldn't get the majority of them to bite, and we tried quite a few different baits and lures. We'd have fish jump and make a huge splash within 3 or 4 feet of us, very aggrivating, but a blast. Even tried a dry fly with a bobber and could get 2" minnows to pick it off the surface but that was it.
[signature]
Sounds like a match the minnow jerk bait time. My guess are the bass were targeting the minnows when they came up to grab a bug off the surface.

Glad you had a good time.
[signature]
I had no idea there were bass that size in that part of the river. I guess they really are spreading pretty thick up here.

Windriver
[signature]
are we talking about the pond that is below the gem lake dam next to the river.
[signature]
They are talking about the pond across the road from North Bingham County Park . Curt G.
[signature]
Speaking of Shelley and Gem Lake......where's a place to put a boat in at above the Dam, below the Dam, or even between Firth and Shelley? I've heard there's a boat ramp right next to the bridge by the HS in Firth, but haven't ever tried it. Was thinking about trying the river out somewhere around there to see what was biting.
[signature]
there is a ramp right there in bingham park by the pond. also a launch above the damn right at to base. float from shelley to firth has some great fishing, drift some minows or work ur rapalas # 6 and #9. perch color and rainbow. couple diversions on the float so b carfeull.
[signature]
Will you be drift fishing or in a boat with a motor . The reason I ask is I have a jet boat , and I like to put in below where I want to fish and motor up steam and fish back to my put in point . So if you have trouble you can drift back to your lauch area . There is a great ramp at the Porterville Bridge on Rose road . I like to put in there and run up to Firth and drift back . The river is very high so be very carefull . Curt G.
[signature]
Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate the info.

Clint
[signature]
At gem lake there is a ramp near the dam as mentioned and also further up. On the east side just south of the cemetary on the highway is the turnoff to the gem lake marina. It has a ramp and a decent swimming area. Also just below the dam there is a spot next to the gem state kids fishing pond. I've seen people launch from there but I'm not sure what the river is like from there on down. Looking at google earth there's only a couple spots that would concern me much until you're past Shelly, then's it a matter of the diversions.
[signature]
There is a bad spot in the river south of Woodville where an old bridge was and some big lava ledges . I suggest if you are going to float this stretch you go with someone who has done it before . Be safe . Curt G.
[signature]
I used to live on the road where those bridge rocks are in Woodville, moved before I was old enough to fish there much though. Wonder how that is for fish right behind the rocks.
[signature]
The fishing is pretty good from just below the dam to just below the old bridge and rocks . After that it is slow , not very many riffles or holes . When the river is at normal flow there are a lot of dead stretches and if the wind is coming out of the south and you are in a boat without a motor . You are going to be doing a lot of rowing because the wind will blow you up steam . Curt G.
[signature]
Well, we ended up going to the ramp just above the Shelley Dam (west side) and put in there and fished the river all the way to where the rapids are about 3 miles north. I think we were about straight across from the Malt Plant. We only saw two other boats on there that were trolling and they didn't stay long. Then there were 3-4 boats that were doing the skiing/boarding/tubing thing, and that was doing nothing but causing big wakes all day long for us. There were a lot of fish on the FF closer to the dam, and then almost nothing the further north you went, but still didn't have any luck between the 3 of us. The water temp was 57-58 degrees. I'd like to go back and try it again, but hope they're biting a little bit better than last Saturday.
[signature]