Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who to use for fishing in Cabo?
I am surprising my wife with a trip to Cabo for her birthday and our anniversary August 23rd thru the 27th. I would like to charter a boat the 25th to fish for Tuna, yellowtail and dorado (and whatever else is biting). I have fished out of San Diego and Ensenada for these species a dozen times and absolutely love it.

I am already spending a fortune on the trip and don't have a ton to spend on fishing. I would like to keep the amount between $200-$400 US. I know this means my options are pretty much chartering a panga or sharing a nicer boat with another couple.

Have any of you fished out of Cabo? What would you recommend and with which company?

Thanks.
[signature]
we just gpt back the end of last month. where are you staying there? depending on the hotel your at some have little agreements with charters. the one at the hilton is one of the best charters you can get, or so i read. he ran 400 bucks for the whole day. when you get down to the marina there will be a ton of these little stands every where offering trips. i reccomend going with one that only does fishing. not the one that does sight seeing, fishing, etc. those ones are part of the time shares that they want to show you. the ones thsat did fishing only seemed fair, between 300 and 400 for all day which included everything. if you really get the chance, take the couple hour drive north to La Paz and get one there. prices were a little better and fishing was alot better
[signature]
We will be staying at the Meliia and I have no idea if they have any agreements. I guess I'll call them and ask.

I would love to go to LaPaz to fish but how do you get there from Cabo? We won't have a rental car and I don't want to pay $60 for a cab. But if the fishing boats are that much cheaper there ...

Thanks.
[signature]
http://tailhunter-international.com/ RDRRM8E and some of my family have visited this operation based out of LaPaz and highly recommends them. I have met Jonathon here in SLC a few times and is a great guy. Give him a call.
[signature]
if they dont have any agreements then i strongly suggest getting down to the marina the first day you are there and talking to one of the fishing charters so you can schedule your day. alot will just take you out when ever you want to go, the good ones we found will actually schedule a day so you can jet out of the marina around 530 in the morning and be back before dinner. again stay away from the fellers that offer fishing, scuba diving, sight seeing, etc, all at one little shack. they just want you to listen to thier presentations. if your taking the bus from the airport to your hotel room (8 bucks a person not to bad) the "tour guide" will try to give you "special deals" on entertainment. dont listen to them they work for one hotel or the other and are just trying to get you to their place for yet another presentation. anywho, the most legit charters we saw were on the far side of the maina (heading towards the museum/pacific ocean near Hooters, directly across from the mall). they all were pretty much identical price wise. remember, if your wife goes out with you she needs a fishing liscense too even if she is just standing on the boat and not fishing, just the law down there. you guys are going to have a great time. if you would have went about a month earlier you could have walked under lovers arch at the end of the baja, i think they said that once every 4 or 5 years for a 3 week period the water is low enough to walk on the beach there.
[signature]
i forgot to answer your other question. La Paz is roughly a 2 hour drive north of San Jose Los Cabos, which is 20 to 25 minutes north of Cabo San Lucas. it would likely cost a couple of hundred bucks via cab to drive up there. stick to the marina/around the area.
[signature]
I did a trip with RedRum Sportfishing out of Cabo. We got skunked, and tons of boats were coming back into the marina flying banners. I do not recommend them.
[signature]
I will be heading to cabo as well in sept. Also wanting to do a charter. Any other advice as to who would be great!!
[signature]