Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bent Prop - Need to replace? If so, with what?
I have a 2000 Mercury 90 hp motor and while at FG last weekend, the prop hit a rock while it was in neutral but due to the wind (never let inexperienced friends drive the boat[crazy]).

One of the three blades has a slight bend on it that does not match the other two angles. There isn't any metal missing although a small piece of the paint/exterior has chipped off.

I am semi-new to boating but have heard that a damaged prop can cause major damage to the engine if the prop is out of balance and it causes major vibrations within the engine. For you more experienced boat guys, does a small bend on one of the three blades qualify as enough damage to replace the prop?

If I need to replace the prop, what kind should I get and where? I don't want to go to SS Marine to end up paying 2X what it would cost to get it on Amazon or another local shop. How do I determine what pitch, etc?

Thanks in advance!
[signature]
I'm not a super experienced boater and am actually in the same situation you are in. The pitch and length is stamped on your prop. I do know I've been told by two different boat mechanics that the vibration can ruin your lower unit. I don't really run my big motor so have kept running it for the two minutes it takes me to get to where I fish as it is narled up not really bent. Now I'm fishing at the gorge more and more I need to replace mine. I actually found one a neighbor had which is just a little off on the pitch but looks a little different on the inside where it mounts. I'm trying to find a place to bring both props to to have them look at them, if I do I will send you an email as to where. I came on here today to find some past posts hopefully with some recommends or more importantly who to stay away from. A-Rock propellers came up on google, city search has a couple people very unhappy with that company so I think I'm going to stay away from there.
[signature]
I was told that if it is just bent that this place can bend it back.

http://www.utahpropdoc.com/service.nxg

Lets keep each other updated
[signature]
if there is a prop shop near you, they can fix your prop.... here in nevada on lake mead, i finally messed up my prop last year and i cost me 70.00 to get it fixed like new. Yes, if you have a ding or bend, the vibration can and eventually will mess up your lower unit.
[signature]
I have had many props repaired by these folks and I have been pleased with their work:

Jack's Prop & Ornamental Iron
(801) 972-4797
845 Layton Ave, Salt Lake City, UT 84104
[signature]
I took my prop to A-Roc, hope I don't regret it. They said they'd have it done in a day or two and I bought an aluminum prop as a back up which doesn't fit my motor .........

I called them and they said that they would take care of it and if I pull my boat down there they will get the right one on there.
[signature]
I guess it depends on where you live and how far you want to drive. There is a shop in Clearfield that I have gone to for years called Marine Prop. He selled new and used props and will rebuild your old prop. His phone number is 801-825-1352 and his shop is at 510 west 1700 south. marineprop.com
[signature]
They replaced the prop they sold me with a correct one. They should have my stainless one done today or Monday. There is a young girl there named liz who's pretty impressive on her knowledge of props. Must be an owners daughter or something and worked there for a while. ARock so far has treated me pretty good.
[signature]