Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Underwater Fish Attractant Lights
Hi there, Ive been doing some research on underwater fishing lights and was wondering if someone has any expeience with them. I found a pretty reasonably priced one at:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/produc...Id=1095917
Do you think this would be good to use off of the pier at night?
[signature]
What would you want to catch off of the pier at night?!!! The only good thing that comes from the pier is smelt for bait while float tubing for halibut!

Aaron
[signature]
Ive caught halibut, sharks, makerel, perch, bat rays, and croaker off the pier before. I dont care what I catch as long as its big. You cant eat the stuff from there anyway.
[signature]
[size 2]I personally have never used lights for fishing. Chum yes[Wink] I have noticed on an overnighter that when we started fishing at like 5am and they hit the outboards lights the barricuda seemed to like it.[/size]
[signature]
outboards lights?[Tongue]
[signature]
[size 2]The boat had several lights around the exterior of the boat they use at night or early morning.[/size]
[signature]
Nice website, lots of stuff to make you drewel
[signature]
I think I know what you mean. Like in the jaws movie, the scientist has that high tech boat right?
[signature]
[size 2]Nope. Basically squid boats use them. They light up the water nice and bright then the squid swim up and they net them.[/size]

[size 2] Some charters put lights aroudn the exterior so the can light everything up a night and during low light conditions.[/size]

[size 2] Alot of people fish the AM and Afternoon boats and never notice them because they might not be on [Wink][/size]

[size 2] On an overnighter they will be. Alot of times you hit the fishing grounds by like 4-5am. Still pretty dark[cool][/size]
[signature]
thanks for the info, ive never heard of that before. Is the fishing better at night or about the same as during the day?
[signature]
[size 2] I was fishing at 4am and was catching Barricuda until I couldn't reel anymore on charters.[crazy][/size]

[size 2]Off the shore at night sharks and Halibut seem to be active.[/size]

[size 2] Freshwater Cats seem to come alive! I went to Anaheim Lake years ago at night during summer and limited in 2 hours![shocked][/size]

[size 2][/size]
[signature]
Do you think the fishing would be good in Huntington Harbor at night?
[signature]
never used a light on the water myself but have been wanting to try it its my understanding is that you dont just throw it out and expect to catch fish its all about starting a food chain if you have a boat and fish finder and can find a school of bait fish to put it over you will greatly increase your odds

chris
[signature]
[size 2]During the summer and while High Tide is coming in yes. I have done it several times. Espcially near the Harbor Opening[/size]
[signature]
thanks for the advice aquaman, I will try that as soon as I get my boat.[Wink] But that wont be for a while.[:/]
[signature]
So its only good during summer, not right now? Do you think I should try it and see what I get?[crazy]
[signature]
i'd try it now nothing vetured nothing gained !

chris
[signature]
That sounds like good advice aquaman.[Wink]
[signature]
[size 2]Right now there is alot of Red Tide locally. I would NOT recommend fishing in a float tube. I was talking to a surfer who surfs Huntington Beach and he said he has been surfing in the red tide and recently he and some of his friends are getting weird rashes.[/size]

[size 2] The Red Tide is the worst it has been in along time I have heard.[/size]

[size 2] Plus the Red Tide makes it more difficult to catch fish.[/size]

[size 2] Once the Red Tide lifts I would recommend trying it. I have alot of fun there. And if you launch off Edinger and Bolsa area there is a nice sandy area right after you launch that Halibut like to hang around.[/size]

[size 2] Good location to get small-medium size smelt for live bait which Halibut like. I have found squid works good in there too for bass when they are hitting.[/size]

[size 2] Sharks too[/size]
[signature]
thanks for the heads up on the rash. Do you have any idea when the red tide will end, or is there no way to predict that?
[signature]