Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Float tubin Jordanelle
Fished Jordanelle with tubes. Caught UncleRay falling out of his as we were getting out of the lake! Of course we got a good laugh out of it all but it was nothing to the dunking I got when I tried to push off te bottom and fled my waders with cold water down the backside. What wasn't wet before was soaked now.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=67394;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=67394;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread[/url]

here is the link to my Utah board post with pictures
[signature]
[cool]Thanks for sharing. I think us float tubers should be allowed to charge admission to other folks who get a free laugh out of watching us. Anybody who has survived a few launchings and beachings will have a collection of funny tales.

After awhile you just learn how far to go out before you sit down, and how far to come back in before you stand up. You should also learn that when you drop the top of your waders below the water line, you are going to get some water inside with you. That's okay in the summer, when it is warm. But, do it just before ice up and that cold water will have you singing soprano. And you can save the price of a vasectomy.

I caught your full post on the Utah board and looked at the pics. That was a decent trout, but the perch are kinda puny. Maybe you need somebody to come back up and show ya how it's done. Here's a couple of pics from Deer Creek, back in the days when there were more perch.
[signature]
Now thats what I'm talking about! I just had grilled Talapia with fresh mango salsa over the top for lunch (thankyou Applebees), YUMMY! How does perch or white bass compare to talapia in flavor. If it is even close, you won't be able to keep me off the lakes around here.

ES
[signature]
[size 2]Alright Tubedude, take it easy on eating us perch![Wink] Making me real nervous ( See icon )[Tongue][/size]
[signature]
[cool]Tilapia are great eating, but are not generally considered in the same league with walleye or yellow perch. The latter are much more delicate and mild flavored. White bass is also an excellent flaky fleshed fish.

Preferences in fish are largely a matter of personal preference. I have found tilapia to be a little tougher and sometimes more fishy flavored...but much of that is related to the waters they came from and how they were handled and prepared.

I can virtually guarantee that once you get a handle on harvesting perch that you will not care that they are not measured in pounds. I made many trips to Deer Creek in the olden days with perch flesh as a primary focus of the trip. Problem was that the jigs I used also had a measure of appeal to the bass, walleye and trout in the lake too. Those non-targetet species kept interrupting my quest for perch.

Don't know if you heard about it, but Road caught a 7 1/2 pound smallie up at Jordanelle fishing one of those little chartreuse roadrunner bait bugs for perch. A DWR guy was there to measure and weigh it and take his picture. He will have it posted soon.

I also heartily recommend taking your girls after perch. A few feet of line below a bobber, and a piece of worm, will keep dad busy baiting and unhooking...and keep the girls laughing. Then, the results on the table will keep everybody happy.
[signature]
[cool]Enjoy that perch icon while you can. Perch may not get much respect from the big game guys, but they are probably more popular with more people than most of the other icons.

Just keep on posting and participating and the changes will come.
[signature]
Chartruese with the red head??????
[signature]
[cool]That's the one. As far as I know, I invented that color combo on Utah Lake in about 1980. It has harvested "BILLIONS AND BILLIONS" (apologies to the late Carl Sagan) of fishies since then.
[signature]
Wow! Carl Sagan, I was thinking Dr. Evil [blush]. . . I guess this goes to show the level of my sophistication.
[signature]
[cool]Sweat it not, brother. Sophisticated fisherman is an oxymoron.
[signature]
That puny perch the first one caught while we were filling the tubes and the inflatable boat. There were several dozn puny ones caught but the keepers were 8-10 inches but they were few. I didn't get pictures of the ones I caught because I forgot about the digital went we were at the cleaning station. All & all a good time for all.
[signature]