Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choice Rifle??
I know it's been asked a million times, but I want it answered just for me, by folks who have the same conditions as me.

So if I was going to get ONE (only 1) rifle for big game in Utah, primarily for Elk & Deer. What should it be and why?
[signature]
Are you talking about the caliber or the model of rifle? There are enough options that it will become personal prefernace ranging from a .270 to .300 mag and many others. Can you give more info on what you are looking for? Is recoil an issue? Is range an issue? Cost to shoot?
[signature]
it's very hard to beat the rem 700 or winchester model 70 in a 30-6, it's probably the most popular rifle in the west for a reason. Both of those rifles are hard core proven hunting guns that will out last you if you treat them right. Other than that my next rifle will be a .270 or .308, both very capable of taking anything that walks here in utah
[signature]
Good point, I'd say caliber. Recoil & cost to shoot are factors, but only significant if the #'s are crazy. Not trying to be the most efficient just effective good range, accurate and put down power.

Smile
[signature]
What's bigger 22 250 or 270? They both seem small to me for Elk or long range shots. Is a 700 or 70 the same thing as a 7mm? I hear those shoot really far and flat. I actually have a 30-06 that's semi-automatic. I am open to getting a bolt action 30-06 or any other type. I know that there's advantages to the practicality of only needing one ammo, BUT variety is equally advantageous. Smile
[signature]
270 is much larger than 22 250. If you already own an 06 your set if you still want anew gun because you can get a 300 win mag. A little more kick than the 06 but little more energy for knocking big animals down.

700 and 70 are Remington and Winchester model numbers nothing to do with caliber and both are proven to be solid choice for a bolt action.
[signature]
a 270 is a more than capable elk gun, though it certainly is on the small side of the range. It'll chuck a 180gr slug down range accurately as far as most people are likely to have to shoot. 400 yard shots are easily possible if you practice and you won't break your shoulder doing it. If you plan on shooting over 500 yards, which most people can't do accurately, then the 300 mag type rounds would be a good choice, but if you're like most of us and harvest big game well under 500 yards anything between the .270 and 30-6 is absolutely effective, cheaper to shoot and less punishing than the mag rounds
[signature]
http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/c...amily=001C

Pick this up in a 30-6, throw a good scope on it and you'll never need another rifle for big game in the lower 48
[signature]
I shoot a Remington Model 700 7mm. It does shoot flat and far. As far knock down I shot a deer, elk and Bull Moose with mine last year using just 3 shells. I won't get many years like last year was.
[signature]
If you are looking for an affordable all round rifle I would suggest the Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06 with a Tasco world class scope.
[signature]
A .270 is a 30-06 casing necked down to .270 caliber. Great cartridge. I'm in agreance with whoever said .270, .308 or 30-06!
[signature]
Thanks for the replies. It has been a ton of help. Since I have a couple of 30-06 and with the replies I have gotten, I am thinking it's between a 7MM & a 270. How do those two compare to one another as far as accuracy, knock down power, accuracy, kick and cost to shoot?
[signature]
i have a 25-06 im looking to sale or trade...
[signature]
If you have 30-06's you are gold for what you're looking for. I would consider game specific cartridges if you want something different.
[signature]
I would recommend playing around with some ballistics calculators like this one:

http://ballisticscalculator.winchester.com/

It will give you an idea how different caliber trajectories compare at different distances.

Another good resource is Hornady's ballistic chart:

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/ball...t-2010.pdf

There are others out there, but I prefer Hornady so I use this one. It will give you a quick idea of how different ammunitions compare as far as velocity, knock down power, and bullet drop.

Weatherby also has good online resources if that's what you end up getting. In my experience it all comes down to personal preference. If you spend the time to study and know your gun's ballistics and the right ammo to use, then it's all about shot placement. Any of the calibers mentioned (.270, 30-06, 7MM, .300 win mag, etc.) are great big game rifles with their own pros and cons. It all comes down to what you want to do with it and how confident you are in using it.
[signature]
I would go with a 7 MM Mag or the 300 Win Mag. The 7MM is really just the 300 Win Mag necked down to the .284 measurement OR 7 MM.

Both will throw a roughly 165 grain slug down range at 3,000 FPS, or faster depending on how you load it or what you buy. If you sight the thing in 3 inches high at 100 yards you will be able to throw lead into the kill zone of an elk or deer out to 300 yards without changing your sight picture. I carry my 300 Win Mag on every hunt, and I have a lot of choices but always grab that one. I have killed many deer, elk and my AK bear with it. Plus you can load it up with 125 grain hollow points and slam down varmints as well.
[signature]
A lot of good info here... It all comes down to right bullet for what your hunting and "shot placement" Any of the obove calibers are a great choice!!
[signature]
only problem with a 300 win mag is if your shot isnt just right it will destroy alot of the deer if hunting deer.... the 300 is a tad over kill for dear... unless you are shooting 500 yards..
[signature]
Well shot placement is always important. If you smack a deer right behind the shoulder, just punching through the rib cage on both sides you won't lose any meat.
[signature]
Well said Pookie... SHOT PLACEMENT... If your shooting 500yds without a bench and the right rifle and bullet let alone plenty of practice your going to ruin meat!!!
[signature]