Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation
Went in search of some walleyes at Starvation Wed. afternoon. I arrived about 2 pm and set my camper up in the new camping area near the beach. This is a very nice campground. I got boat launched and went fishing. Decided to try Knight hollow area, tho I'm not positive thats where I was. I found only small perch and finally 2 'eyes, but they were only about 12 or 13 in.
long. The wind was picking up due to a thunderstorm to the N. so I thought I would go eat and be ready for the late bite. Parked the boat on beach near camper and cooked a steak, meanwhile the wind continued to pick up speed and a few rain drops fell. Kept this up 'til dark, so no late fishing. The boat was in a protected place so I elected not to load it on trailer' About 3 am I was awakened by the wind, It was blowing from a new direction now with pretty good force. When I got up to go fishing( 6:00 ) the wind was still blowing but I thought it was manageable. Got down to the boat to find it had been pushed on the beach to the point it wouldn't' back off and one old man couldn't push it off. I waited for about an hour for the young people camped next to me to start moving around amos they were kind enough to help me get launched. Back to fishing, tried fishing Rabbit Gulch but too much breeze to be affective. I went to some rocky shorelines where the waves were hitting and cast crankbaits. This turned out to be very effective, I caught 14 smallmouth, but still no walleyes, One of the smallmouth was my personal best at 18 in. and 5.2 lbs. another was 16 in. The pic of the biggest one isn't too good he flipped when I tried to measure him and my arm is too short in the other, but I wanted to release him so someone else could have the thrill of catching him.
[signature]
Nice fish, you gotta love starvation!
[signature]
If you had your boat pulled up in the little cove where the Park Rangers keep their boat you are a lucky man. A couple years ago there were two boats pulled up there during a big wind storm from the North and the waves filled the boats and they had to get a tractor to pull them up on shore far enough to empty them. I usually trailer mine unless I'm going right back out in a little bit. By the way nice small mouth.
[signature]