Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
blackfoot area flyfishing
Hi all-
I am visiting the inlaws for the next few days and was hoping to sneak away for some fly fishing. I am in Blackfoot and was wondering where you might suggest going. I would prefer to avoid crowds so that might not be an option if I go tomorrow, but I might be able to get out on Monday or Tuesday also. I am will to drive a couple hours, but the closer the better (more time on the water with my line wet). Since i am new I will let you know that I am C&R 98% of the time. I do keep one or two per year, mostly for my boys. Also feel free to PM me if you would prefer not posting. Thanks and I look forward to learning more about this area.

Jon

http://www.jwalkerphoto.com
[signature]
I just don't know enough about the blackfoot area to be of help. Hopefully someone will chime in who can help you.

Windriver
[signature]
my friend u are only 50 short minutes away from the great south fork below palliSades, water levels have gone down and if u havent been there go. silver creek is a must aswell. river is still pretty high here in blackfoot but wouldnt hurt.
[signature]
Sorry to not post sooner. I thought someone who actually knows something would chip in.

As far as I know there is not much fly fishing right around Blackfoot, except for the Snake River, and it is pretty high and full!

Most of the fishing is about 100 miles or so from Blackfoot. Here are some options:

The upper Blackfoot River and tributaries -- about 100mi - through Soda Springs.

The Lower Blackfoot River and Tributaries -- about 40 mi or so to Brush Cr Rd -- dirt road for about 15 or 20mi

The Big Lost R -- about 80 mi to Mackay

Birch Cr -- about 100 mi

South Fork of the Snake and its tributaries abt 80 mi to Heise area and about 100mi to PaliSades.

Henrys Fork -- abt 80 mi to Ashton area and about 120 mi to Island Park area

Warm R -- about 90 mi

Buffalo R -- about 120mi

Big Wood R abt 140 mi

Silver Cr abt 120 mi

Hope this isn't too late!

Good Luck. If you want more details on any ask. Some have been recently discussed on the forum.

You could also call Jimmie's All Season Anglers in Idaho Falls. They have good info on what is fishing well and on the flows etc.
[signature]