Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attack of Boulder Mountain....the sequel
4 weeks ago my son and I hit Boulder mountain and when we returned mamatrout mentioned she would like to go. So after spending a month to outfit mamtrout and my daughter we decieded to hit the mountain again. Weather was iffy but went anyway. Glad we did! Left really early so as to get a head start on the mountain. Got down to Torrey with some time to spare so we hit Capitol Reef National Park for a couple of hours. Upon arrival at Torrey found that there had been a monster rain storm onvernight from all the standing water on the roads. Trail was a little muddy at first but not unmanagable. Got up to the camp site about an hour or so later at Blind Lake. Saw two tubers already out on the water and started to get an itch that needed scratching, and no it was not the skeeters.[:p] Set up camp then pulled the caddis u tube out and got it ready. Hit the water soon after for a nice float. Started with my fly rod and an olive woolly bugger. That seemed to be the ticket today. I caught a nice brookie to start with, soon after I came up with a nice splake. Time to mark another species off the bucket list.[cool] Just before I decided to get off the water due to the gathering thunderheads I pulled out a small rainbow. Got off just in time to get things put away before the daily afternoon thunderstorn hit.

Next morning I was up at a bright and early time of 6:40 am. Decided to hit the nice calm lake again. Once out there I had a couple of hits and misses and then decided it was time to go for a little breakfast. I threw out a spoon just for giggles and WHAM!!! a fat bow took at and ran. Spent the afternoon hiking to Pear, Beaver Dam Resevoir, and Fish Creek. Saw some fish at Beaver Dam that I molested for a while but them headed back before the afternoon thunderstorms hit again. A boy scout troop showed up and demonstrated the new method bank tanglers have of removing unwanted power squadron (pic attached of course #1531). After watching them I realized this could be used on us tubers.

Left the next morning early to get a head start. After leaving the trail mamatrout got an itch for a little detour. Our 3 1/2 hour drive just turned into a 12 hour drive.[crazy] She wanted to see Bryce Canyon National Park so we ended up touring the rest of Boulder Mountain, three State Parks, Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument and Bryce Canyon NP. In all a great fishing trip and tour. Sorry if some of the pics are not too great but the fish were trying not to be too photogenic.

Now all I need is some info and a location on the south slope of Boulder Mountain for an adventure next year.[Smile]

[#212126][/#212126]
[signature]
Looks like a great trip with the family. Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
Hey I know those 2 float tubers! There were 4 of us over the weekend. One stayed down and fished Green with no results. I caught 2 from the bank and missed many more. I had the best luck with salmon eggs. The guy on the left did well for some decent cutts. Overall the action was slow-mediocre. But beautiful country for sure. Big Grin
[signature]
We tried to get to green to hike in from there but the road wasn't all that good to drive up. That or I missed a turn somewhere. I tried for the cutts but no bites. I missed several hits. I had one that gave a double tug and then nothing. I reeled in my fly line and found that my bugger had been stolen.
[signature]
I'm Confused...what are those boy scouts doing? Are they making a big sling shot?
[signature]
Yes launching rocks with a water ballloon launcher or similar.
[signature]
We drove wheelers into Green, parked there, then hiked down to Blind. You're right though, that road is rough! About the furthest you could safely make it in a truck is to the event board where you can leave notes for others.
[signature]
Yeah we parked there then hiked up the blind lake trail.
[signature]
Told my wife you got to green lake with wheelers. She stated not fair. I told if we ever go back to that area we will take wheelers with us too.
[signature]
I was just glad that I wasn't riding in the back on that road [shocked] not a good one to ride doubles on. [laugh]
[signature]
I was thinking of something similar to one of these.
[Image: img.jpg?id=13798&class=med640]
[signature]
Hey one of those float tubers is ME (pic #2 or 1523). Haha Sounds like you guys had a good time. Good for you
[signature]
That just goes to show that you never know when your picture is being taken... we were that noisy family coming up the hill just before you got off the water. It was a great trip.[cool]
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]I was thinking of something similar to one of these.
[.img][url "http://imageshand.yamahamotors.com/img.jpg?id=13798&class=med640[/img][/quote]"]http://imageshand.yamahamotors.com/...ed640[/img][/quote][/url]Not saying you would (it's usually the locals) but please keep those ATVs on the LEGAL Boulder trails. Nothing more frustating than hiking for three miles with a float tube and gear into a "wilderness" lake for some brook trout fishing only to find a lake looking like a bowl full of cheerios with ATVs surrounding it. I swear I'll push those things in the lake!
I'm alot of talk, but it really is disheartening. I would probably just slit the tires.
[signature]