Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please post your DAV fishing report here
It seems like a few of the guys bringing boats did not show up today, but lucky for us we had a few vets that were not able to make it as well, so everything turned out fine and we had enough boats. I sure would like to see how all the boat drivers did, as far as fish caught in their boats, so please post your results. I know I talked to a lot of you but please post your results, good or bad so we will have a better idea what worked and what didn't, so we can do better next year. Thanks everyone for everything you did to make this event a success. There are several of you that really stepped up to make this event awesome and you deserve a special thanks. Please post your pics at this link below in the photo Gallery:
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/show...hp/cat/779
10 at a time can be uploaded if the pic is 750 KB or smaller .
WH2
[signature]
Yeah, I was one of them boats, I had a good reason and tried to pm WET1 last night to let him know? there was a little problem last night with the truck, thought it was a bad plug and an easy fix but ended up being a coil pack on one of my cylinders and know one had it, fixed now though.[:/] I will be there next year I'm sure glad everyone got out fishing and enjoyed themselves.
[signature]
My vet (Nam era) and his wife said they were told to come in when the wind came up, so we got in at noon. I hated to skip lunch but I thought it was at 1:00, but found out it was 2:00 instead when we got in, so decided to head on home because the lock on my rod locker is broken and I didn't want to leave my boat alone after the posts I've seen about problems in the parking lot.

It was very interesting to take out two folks, one of whom has never fished and the other who last fished 40 years ago, on a water I'm not familar with using techniques I never and seldom use: power bait and pop gear. But it was a very pleasant outing, even if not productive, and they and I had a good time.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get ground-in melted power bait out of boat carpet?

Mike
[signature]
The wife, family and I weren't able to make it up there from the base due to some vehicle and leave issues. Hope the event went great for all and we are truly proud of all you civvies who stepped up to make this an awesome time for all involved; you do your country proud. Lead the way. Army Proud.
[signature]
Mike, thank you for volunteering. I too am not a Strawberry slimer fisherman. I've had my boat on that lake 3 times and each time has been for the DAV event. I do really enjoy it though....

Melted/ground in power bait. Take it to the car wash and it should power wash right out of your marine carpeting. I do this with my boat a few times each season. I also like to vacuum up the water after washing and it leaves your carpet standing up and looking like new.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
Thanks for setting up this post Curt... I'd like to personally thank everyone that donated a Saturday out of their busy personal schedules to help with this event. We ended up with a great turn out. I think we ended up with right about 50 vets and we had plenty of boats to get them all out. Now on to my post.

I had a lady vet named Diane who had some fishing experience but not alot. Let me just start by saying I'm not a big Strawberry slimer fisherman although I do enjoy ice fishing there a few times each winter... It was a beautiful morning with temps about 38 and patchy fog. Diane and I launched a little after 7 and headed down through the narrows to the main lake. We fished various crank baits with snap weights at various depths trying to find a pattern. While we didn't really find a hot bait we did find most of our fish in 60 to 80 feet of water down 30 to 40 feet. Diane had a great time and boated10 or 11 trout and a couple of chubs which were surgically altered and released at the behest of the DWR. Most of the fish were rainbows with a nice 17 inch cut as her biggest fish landed. She lost a really nice rainbow at the boat that looked to be in the 20 inch range. While we didn't load the boat with fish we found enough to keep us busy and enjoy the morning.

Thank you all once again for your volunteering and thanks to Walt and Mikey for cooking a great lunch for somewhere around 125 people!!

Thank you to Louis Amarosa, a non-fisherman for volunteering his Saturday to help with all the needs on shore.

Looking forward to seeing you all again next year!!!!
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
I had a great time hosting the DAV who went out with me, his name was Stevan Manchego and he hadn't fished alot in his lifetime he said he has a bucket list and one of the things he wants to do is ice fish, I told him we will be able to check that off his list this winter. We were able to get on fish right off the git go. He ended up boating 26 trout, nothing big. His largest was a 17 1/2 in Cutt and a 17 in. rainbow. We stayed on the Soldier Creek side and trolled Needle Fish on down riggers down 30 to 35 feet at 1.6 to 1.8 MPH. Like last time I usually seem to be one of the last boats off the Lake, he wanted to keep fishing and said if he wouldn't have been one of the van drivers he would like to have stayed out longer. We cleaned his fish at the cleaning station and then I went back to my camp and picked up a small cooler with some ice so he could take his fish home to cook on the grill. I did feel bad as one of my buddies ( a BFT'R) called me and said he never ended up with a DAV to take out so he headed back to Ogden. I was glad to see the Guard pontoon boat up there but it would have been nice if they would have waited to see if all the boat captains had a guest before they took off with a bunch of vets. I think next time we need a better count of exactly how many DAV's will be showing, no one seemed to know for sure. I know some came in Vans and some in their POV's. I would like to say thanks to everyone that helped out and to the Sponsors, and thanks Walt (Rippinlips)for your cooking, sorry I didn't get to talk to you much, I promise next time to have my red glass with me.[Wink]
[signature]
Wet the powerbait & surrounding carpet good & let it soak for a bit. It'll come loose with a little scrubbing with a brush. blot out the water you can with old towels. Or, do like I do & just hit it with a pressure washer.
[signature]
Had a great day with the Vet that went out with me, his first name is Gary and my feeble brain lost his last name. Our fishing was really great, problem is our catching SUCKED. We got a really good look at the scenery 'cause we tried from one end of the place to the other, all my favorite places & nothing. Dunno if I oughta even show up next year. Nobody gonna want a crappy guide.
[signature]
Hey Pete, sounds like I need to talk to your friend, did he say when he arrived? We stayed at the ramp until a little after 10am and all the guys with boats that came up to us took a DAV out. There was a couple of guys that got there late around 8:30am that took out two of the gals that came up with the vets. I talked to Emily, she arranges the DAV event for the VA, she said there were more vets that were scheduled to come up but after getting into the van they changed their mind and decided not to come up after all. I'm glad to hear you and your Vet did so good, on the next event you might have to give some of the other boat captains some pointers[Wink].
[signature]
[quote PACKFAN]

I did feel bad as one of my buddies ( a BFT'R) called me and said he never ended up with a DAV to take out so he headed back to Ogden. I was glad to see the Guard pontoon boat up there but it would have been nice if they would have waited to see if all the boat captains had a guest before they took off with a bunch of vets. I think next time we need a better count of exactly how many DAV's will be showing, no one seemed to know for sure. I know some came in Vans and some in their POV's.

[/quote]

I had the same thing happen to me one year with the C.A.S.T. for Kids outing at Soldier Creek. A huge letdown after one looks forward to helping out for a good cause and then isn't allowed the opportunity.
[signature]
You know Tom, you were one of the people I never got a picture of. Thanks for everything you and Cliff did to make this years event happen. There were a few of us helpers but you and Cliff were the driving force this year. Looks like we could use more people like Packfan to give the boat captain some pointers on catching fish at the Berry. A big thanks to Ripnlips and son for standing out in that sun cooking the burgers and dogs, looks like some shade would have be nice for next year.[Wink]
[signature]
PM sent.
[signature]
You know me, I don't fish for trout much just happened to have a good fisherman on board. We didn't do anything special, no flashers or fancy stuff just Needle Fish on down riggers.
[signature]
Well you still had to find the fish for him to catch, so you deserve some of the credit[Smile]. I think I got a picture of Stevan that I will attach. Oh by the way everyone, we have a spot ready in the photo gallery for all the pics you took at the DAV event. I'll add it to the first post on this thread.
[signature]
No need to talk, The fault ls my own, should have got my butt
out of bed a little earlier, before the congestion hit at the Ramp,still waiting to launch by the time all vets were accounted for, but this is not about me, what i witnessed that chilly, foggy morning was good for the heart, and all of you that participated did a wonderful thing. I got to visit with a Vet friday night, he actually taught this California boy how to fish the soft and hard water of Utah. Just want to say thanks to him and all the Vets out here, it's not said often enough, and you truly make this country what it is ... the greatest.

And Pete your damn lucky i did not take a vet out, with my new high performance stealth fishing machine, we would cleaned you guys clock.[Wink]
[signature]
I had a great time. I just helped park and launch then was released from duty and went fishing. I caught 17 from my kick boat (fly fishing that is) and was thinking about ways to get some more fly fishing types next year.

Hats off to the organizers. It was a blast! Fun was had by all. Count me in for whatever I can do to help next year, you guys put on a great event.
[signature]
HA that's a funny one, filling his face with cake, I'll have to make sure he sees it. Great picture[cool]
[signature]
Thanks to all of the organizers and participants.

I had a great time time hosting Sgt. Ray Hill, a Vietnam Vet. Ray has paid a heavy health price for living in agent orange for too long, but he has a pretty good attitude.

While we didn't catch grundles of fish, we caught some really nice ones, including a couple of 20" or better bows. Ray had the fun of hauling in one of the big boys on my ultralight spinning rod. That fish really yanked, dug to the bottom and doubled over the rod, but Ray masterfully landed the fish and had a grin from ear to ear. I think he's going to brag that we were tossing back 17" cuts.

I know that someone from the DAV (a van driver?) took a picture of Ray with fish at the cleaning station. Hopefully those pics could somehow get posted on our site.

Ray went home with 4 really nice fish for his BBQ. Happy eating Ray!

It was my distinct honor to spend a few hours with a guy like Ray Hill.

I had to get back to SLC so couldn't get up to the picnic - hope all went well and thanks to all of you who played a part.
[signature]
Sorry Tim, I wish you had hung around a little longer, although all the vets were taken out we did have a couple of the folks that came up with the vets, to assist them, that wanted to go out. Next year we will be more organised and hopefully won't let you leave so quick.[Smile]
[signature]