Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on targeting big cutthroats from shore
In a couple of weeks I'm heading into the mountains of Wyoming for some amazing back country camping and fishing. I've been told that the high mountain lakes we'll be fishing are loaded with nice cutthroat trout so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice (tactics, lures etc.) for targeting the big boys from shore. I'm more of a river fisherman myself so even though I've fished these types of lakes lots of times before with decent success, I still feel a little out of my element as far as knowing how to target the lunkers. Thanks for your advice in advance!
rainbow rapala and spinning rod.
[signature]
I wouldn't imagine it to be much different other than current.

But I say, fly rod and reel, Type II line, and a floating. Woolly Buggers, Adams, Griffith Gnats, Hoppers, Chironomids for the ones deep. Plus the traditional Nymphs, I would go with #12 size.
[signature]
This time of year they (cutthroat) should be cruising the shorelines slurping stuff off the surface.

I'd take some hoppers, flying ants, humpies, and stimulators...
[signature]
Do you have any suggestions as far as what techniques to try with the Rapala (how to rig the line, weight it if necessary, speed, jerking pattern etc.)? I know that the objective is to work it like an injured minnow but I don't know how to get it rigged up to where I can get a fairly long cast with it without effecting the action and what the best action is exactly etc. I actually have a couple rainbow Rapalas but I am convinced that I just don't know how use them right because I haven't had great success with them in the past.
[signature]
Tube jigs! I slay the big cutts at strawberry in the spring casting from a boat to the shore. Most strikes come within ten feet of the shore line. So, fishing from shore with tubes should be effective.
Fly fishing from shore can be tough. It all depends on your room for a backcast. If you are equiped and able to wade out, flygoddess' suggestions are good.
You can also never go wrong with the good ol' jakes!
good luck. Let us know how you do.
[signature]