Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A fish on both flies
Okay so anyone that has seen me fly fish knows that I am still a long way from knowing what I’m doing a lot of the time. Although I have been working on using a large dry like a hopper with a wet below last week was the first time I have ever had a fish on both at the same time. The fish on the hopper was larger and dragging the smaller one around backwards as it wanted to go the other way. The smaller fish finally broke off before I could get them out of the current and into the net. The two questions I have are first is there any special tricks to controlling two fish at the same time? The second question is if I had got both fish to me which one do you net first or do you try and get both in the net together? Thanks for any tips.
[signature]
That's an awesome story and although it has never happened to me, I'd net them both starting at the fish furthest down the line so that you can maintain tension on the one farther up. But if it was big enough, I could also be talked into just netting the big one and let the smaller one be a bonus.

Congrats either way, that is cool.
[signature]
Right on tlspyder, and I know you know how to ff.

It depends on the situation. If you can get both in the net, then go for it. If your dropper is long and you are unable to get the fish on it with the main fly, net the bigger fish.

I have rarely been able to net both at the same time as they are far apart.

In fact at Strawberry, Kockanut had to net one of my fish while I landed the other on a V connection.

Deep Nymphing I have the flies about 24" apart and it is possible to scoop both up.
[signature]
Thanks but if you saw all the tippet material I went through you might think different. My dropper was about three feet below the dry at the time so I think going with the larger fish is probably the best bet.

I do have to say it was a rush even if I didn't get both in.
[signature]
bring them in as quick as you can,keep the tip down,usually one jumps and gets off gets off,then go ahead and net them both,better luck next time,my buddy has seen a lukinani take 2 guys fly, before one guy new it, it had the other guys fly too,the two buddies were fighting up over whose fish it was,it was a big fish too,5lb.,hey, as long as it makes for a great memory...
[signature]
[quote Paulpro]bring them in as quick as you can,keep the tip down,usually one jumps and gets off gets off,then go ahead and net them both,better luck next time,my buddy has seen a lukinani take 2 guys fly, before one guy new it, it had the other guys fly too,the two buddies were fighting up over whose fish it was,it was a big fish too,5lb.,hey, as long as it makes for a great memory...[/quote]

In fly fishing????? I do the opposite, and keep it high and tension on the line.
[signature]
I've always tried to keep the tip up high like flygoddess said. Isn't it hard to keep the tension on the line with the tip down? Also how do you keep from breaking your line?
[signature]
No offense but I don't think it will happen often enough to need a seperate set of skills.

It's always fun when it does tho. Happened to me but twice.
[signature]
True but I love to learn and try new things when ever the chance comes up.
[signature]
If I may share my feelings on this so as to Not to sound like I am bragging, but I do this all the time. There is no reason anyone shouldn't be able too as well.

I fished that little lake up by Alta Ski Resort. Fish were rising all over the place, so for the heck of it, I put a V at the end of my leader and attached two Mosquitoes. Different lengths on the V so they didn't land side by side, but I don't think it would have mattered. Two on 2 dries. Several times I might add.

I think it all depends on how you present the two flies. Let me start by saying, I do on occasion attach the dropper to the bend, and have caught fish on both, I think it effects the float of the first fly. If anything, attach the dropper to the eye o the first fly.

I do use dropper loops on hoppers which does give that hopper some independence.

I am a firm believer in TAGS. I do use the V which is tippet folded in half with one side longer, but it can twist (not often)
Therefore, try tying a tag in. If it tangles, shorten it.
For Dry dropper, I use Furled leaders in which I will attach a V tippet. EX: one side 24" for the dry, and 36" for the nymph. Advantage is, the leader floats so I can use a bigger nymph with a smaller dry fly.

The strangest duble I have had was deep nymphing in Idaho. You are allowed up to five hooks, but that gets too crazy, so I tried three. Deep nymphing straight down with each chironomid on 12" tag and set 2' apart. There must have been a wave of fish with them in several different zones cause I had all three flies hook up. In this case it is release the closest to you as you bring the line up...LOL
[signature]
I think the size of the fish make a considerable difference It seems the larger bruiser are always more difficult to net.

On the river I move to get the fish up stream, keep my rod tip up, either reel or let the fish take all the slack out of the line then slowly reel in any slacked line. When im close enough I do a sweeping motion I use the current to push the fish in my net and can usually get both fish in the net.

Still water is always a pain in the arse to net fish especially tubing you just don't have the mobility as on foot but once close enough using a longer handled net with a larger opening make things much more manageable. I usually dip the net while I use my feet to paddle closer to the fish keeping the rod tip up to keep the fish near the surface then once close enough I hurry and scoop both fish, but again with larger fish its hard to get both at the same time, and have come close to loosing the net on several occasions.
[signature]
Sounds like you needed a Kochanut...LOL Last year I hooked a 25" cutt and thought, WOW! look at the fish following ever move till I realized I also hooked a 20" Rainbow. My net was no where near big enough to scoop both, so Zak landed the 25" and I landed the 20"
[signature]
You are so nice for letting him net the 25,Flygoddess,I mentioned my buddy Alfred hooking a large Peacock bass in Guyana,the fish took both flyies, Alfred's, and his buddies Shawn,each were using a single fly,Shawn was in the same boat casting near him. Ever here of this happening here in the states with any species?I just love hearing about any exciting catches...."There is nothing better than seeing something beatifull for the first time" ..Paulpro..
[signature]
Hmm,interesting,I say this cause all I mostly catch are bass,and peacock bass,normally you want to put the tip as low even under the water to prevent them from jumping to high,the more hang time the more time they have to spit the lure,I just figured this meathod would work on any jumping fish.Flygodess, I found another video for you,this guy looses a trophy bass,looks like it caught him by surprise,if only he kept his tip down.He most likely new this but forgot with all the excitement..part of being a great fishermen is keeping your cool..Paulpro.
[signature]
The video is a spinning outfit, we are talking about fly fishing, right?
It has been said, you can land the biggest of fish with the lightest of rods because you are fighting them with the butt of the rod, but seeing how you brought up you tube, look up , fighting big fish with a fly rod. You fight the fish with the whole rod. With tip up, if the fish jumps, you drop the tip. You can also pull the fish to the side.

Keeping the rod tip in the water is putting a lot more pressure on the whole rod.
[signature]
I understand,you made it clear to me.I guess the whole point is maybe to put extra tension as fish comes up to jump.The lighter the lure the harder it is for her to spit it...Keep those lines tight..Paulpro
[signature]
Fishing with the tags sounds kind of cool to try. But I have a few questions. If I understand right instead of tying on the first fly you tie to a length of tippet somewhere in the middle or one side longer then the other. You then tie a fly to each of the ends of the leader. What kind of knot do you use to tie onto the tippet and what keeps it from sliding with a fish pulling on only one end of the tippet material?
[signature]
I will try to explain this but if it doesn't make sense, I can do pictures.
On a sinking line, you really don't need a tapered leader, so I take about 6' of flouro/mono, fold it in half but with one side maybe four feet, the other two feet. At that fold, I make a Surgeons loop, which is basically, make a loop and feed the fold through it twice. So now I have a loop with two different length leaders. I just connect this straight to my fly line with the Loop to Loop hand shake.

With a floating line, I have the Leader. We will use a 9' leader for an example, but again, I use up to 30'. Take 12" of tippet. Lay it next to the leader, but slide up two feet from end. I attach it with a Double Surgeon's Knot

http://www.animatedknots.com/surgeonsjoin/index.php

Personally, I attach the tippet so it is facing up the leader, it kind of helps separate the two, but I also use a Gamakatsu Dropper bead which Fish Tech sells, they are way cool, but gets expensive with break offs.

Let me know if that makes sense.
[signature]
Thanks that makes sense now.[Smile]
[signature]