Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need help with tackle
Hi everyone. My name is Alex and I fish in florissant,mo. I am very interested in catching big blue and flattheads out of the Missouri river. Can anyone tell me what equipment I should buy to accomplish this? I'm not going for just 100 pounders I would like some ideas for 20, 30, 40 pounders too.
[signature]
There are a few posts just below yours on this board that have some really detailed information on how to target catfish, and why type of gear and bait is prefered. Have a gander at those, and feel free to post up any additional questions you may have. I suspect once you read through a couple of those posts, you have gathered quite a bit of useful info to start your adventure. [cool]
[signature]
Your location, you may have good luck with normal gear. personally i use too use eagle claw hooks. Until recently they have been sheering off around the eye. Switch too gamakatsu octopus hooks, and mustad brand Demon perfect circle hooks. They are a lil pricey but they are heavy duty and sharp. If your using a pole, try either a carolina rig,dropshot, or a the slip cork.For my big cat pole i have 40 lbs mono on a 12 foot high tide shimano pole with a zebco sw sport reel.

Ive lived here in louisiana my whole life and i have yet too snag that big 15+lbs cat. But hope some of this helps, dont need a real monster pole n rod. The new power pro lines let you keep your your small diam. line size with braided power. I prefer a good spinning reel with a decent clicker drag.

As always keep an open line.
[signature]
Sorry for the double post! If you want a cheap/decent pole go check wal-mart. Just snagged
me a penn pursuit combo-heavy action 7ft 1 piece rod. I put 40lbs test on it and used on
my last fishing trip too miss. Decent rod n Reel for $52.
[signature]