Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what color of squid
So we went up to the george in july and were using pink and orange squid's. They worked ok, going up again what color of squids have been working the best for every body. Wanting to show my grandparent's that the squid's work at catching kokine. Thanks in advance for your help.
[signature]
THE COLOR CAN CHANGE AT ANY TIME BUT THE COLORS YOU MENTIONED ARE USUALLY GOOD. OPPS i JUST NOTICED THE CAPS WERE ON, SORRY. PM SENT.
wh2
[signature]
Squids???? I'm aware of minnows, crawdads. worms, leaches, game fish imitations, attractors. top water frogs, mice, and all sort of fly type of things, ---- but squids??? Help me out! Am I missing a good bet??? [:/] I do know that squids in salt water probably would be in many colors but mostly light, i.e. whit. silver etc. with some darker flecks???
Just realized I'm locked into fresh water and you may be asking a salt water question, Sorry, my bad. Should have been obvious.
[signature]
well i may be letting out a sacred secert. but land lock salmon are just like sea samon and they like the squid. Go to rocky mountain tackle and you'll see what I'm talking about.
[signature]
Ok went to their website and now I know what you are talking about. I can see why they like those things.[cool] Thanks for the tip. I am not planning anything this year for the gorge but will put it in my tip bin for the future.[Smile]
[signature]
They work on trout as well and are sold by several different tackle companies, including Kokanee Creek tackle, Kokanee tackle, Shasta, Good Day and several more. Hint: It helps to tip them with a Gulp maggot.[Wink]
Also, some Co. call them Hoochies, whatever the name, they need to be trolled 5" to 9" behind a dodger to be effective. Hope that helps you an Fred with some added info.[Smile]
[signature]
Hey I'm lazy when does the gorge koke season close for the spawn?
[signature]
Good info on Kokanee fishing baits and tecniques can be found on the Kokanee Fishing Forum.com site.
[signature]

I've done very good on the light green uv squid with a small spinner in front. tipped with a piece of worm.
my dodger also has a green stripe down the middle.
[signature]
Sept 10 through Nov 30 for the Gorge, all kokes must be released.
For porcupine and causey it is aug 15 through the last sat in sept. but it is just the kokes that are red must be released.
Surprisingly strawberry, moon and state line res have no rules about catching kokes during the spawn.
[signature]
Thank you so much that's great that the gorge will be open a little longer I really wanted to get over there this and haven't had time yet. Thanks again. J
[signature]
As pointed out - it's not like the "lake is closed" - just restricted to possession of red-salmon.
Squids demonstrate they the fish are tuned to genetic instinct - regardless of experience. The Pigs kokes have NEVER seen a real squid, yet respond to the pre-stimuli. Pink is hot, green, even blue can help, but something about pink seems a big trigger arounds. Might find a single or double hook on rigs.

Now if they can't be bothered to enforce the wakeless rule, are there really any checkpoints during spawn? Not suggesting anything, just wondering. We checked out the spawn about a decade ago, and between the fall tree colors, and the spawning fish - it was quite a site to see. Sadly - my boy was tarnished by the narrow steep ride out, and still swears he won't do it again (at Porcupine).
have done real good with rmt mojo's behind a 5.5in fussion or a water melon doger, also white glow squids,orange and purple spinners,all rmt,these have produced lots of trout and kokes at strawberry and the gorge.good fishing to you[cool]
[signature]
idk if this is to late of a post but, we were there the week of the 4th and did very well on a combo of dodgers and squids for kokes on the wy side, i was shocked we actually caught alot of big bows on bubble gum bahamas and bahama sunrise dodgers with a pink/purple off brand squid just playing around. we caught fish anywhere from 20-50ft, we caught alot of the bows just letting out. it has been a great year at the gorge.
[signature]