Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pontoon vs Sturgeon. Spoiler alert, I win!
Sturgeon was on the agenda today. I have wanted to catch one in my pontoon for a while now. I started to fish at 8:30 am and I didn’t get a single bite. About 1:00pm I met a guy that was here from the east coast. He was here sight seeing, and I told him I was fishing.
He asked me to take some pictures of him in a kayak. So I went out in the river and got some action shots for him.
He said if I got s sturgeon to yell for him. Well I was on the last float of the day and getting hot when I got a nasty tug on the line. The fish took the bait on my medium action glow stick. The fight was on, in this video you can see it jump at 0:02 on the counter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGnNO_KSi...UQ&index=3

I had two poles out so I got the other one in and went to work on the fish.
I was amazed at how hard this fish was pulling. When it got to the surface the first time it jumped 2 foot from the boat. You can see the splash in the first video at 0:58 and it got me wet.
This is where we go to video #2. I split the video so it would not be so big.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj-kFRFXn...UQ&index=2

Man this fish was pulling hard. I knew it had to be at least a 100-pound fish, I might have over guessed that a bit I have never weighed one and I didn’t measure this one. I set the drag kind of loose and I was using my thumb as the drag. I have had drags loose big fish for me so I was using my thumb. After a while it felt like my thumb was on fire. The sturgeon did a couple of big slashes by Chris and his boat. I tried to explain to him to give me a little more room because they can and would jump on the kayak and tip him over.
After I got him landed we took a few pictures and I turned him loose. Chris was amazed at the size of the sturgeon. He was flying out in the morning for home. We exchanged email so he could send me his pictures. HE said he saw his first Rodeo at the Jerome fair. He said this fish fight was the icing on the cake for his Idaho trip.
It was a great afternoon. Epic might even be a good word for it. Ron

[Image: 8-12-11Asmall.jpg]
[Image: 8-12-11Bsmall.jpg]
[Image: 8-12-11Esmall.jpg]
[signature]
YOU DA MAN RON that is so cool.
[signature]
That was cool. It was the most fun I have had since Alaska halibut. This was better since I was in MY boat. Ron
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Congrats on a unique feat. Fine fun.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What's next...a Barbie pole?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Barbie will be Jacob's test in two weeks. Ron
[signature]
GREAT JOB [Wink][cool] Ron
[signature]
Michael, I can honestly say that I might be spoiled. Dog creek cats don't hold a candle to a sturgeon. You might have to try it some time. Ron
[signature]
How much did it pull you around? did it run on you much and you just let the drag deal with it? I'll bet the splash right beside you was fantastic!![fishin]
[signature]
It literally pulled me around at will. It drug me to the bottom of the hole and back to the top. On the video every time I turn it is the fish doing it. Most of the time I had my right foot on the peg and my forearm on my knee. This gave me leverage to fight with. It was very comfortable and I am not sore today at all.
It ran a bunch on me but I had a tight drag a little loose. A sturgeon earlier this year broke me off because I had the drag WAY too tight. I set it a little loose and use my thumb to help add more drag.
That splash beside me was a fish about 2 feet in the air. It happened so fast it didn't even bother me other than getting wet. When it got under me again I used the motor to get away from him. That 40 pound thrust pulled that fish well. On a HUGE fish I would use it to help wear him out. I would lock my arm to my knee and hit the motor.
I have caught several sturgeon. This was my first in a pontoon and like I said before it was the funnest fight I have had since Alaska.
I have been on cloud 9 every since. it was amazing. Ron
[signature]
Congrats on the feat of landing a sturgeon! [cool]
[signature]
Man that fish is a little too close to your nads for comfort in my opinion.

Joking aside, thanks to you I have now added that to my life time bucket list goal. Thanks for the new outlook on my fishing career!
[signature]