Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
55# trolling motor- too much ?
I may have a chance to buy used 55# minn kota. Would
it be too much of a motor for my 9' toon ?
What do u think ?

Peter
[signature]
Are those 12 volt or 24? Ron
[signature]
12 volt with maximizer. 2 or 3 years old. Dont know
the price just yet.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There is an old saying in the US..."You can never be too rich or too thin."[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have expanded that to reflect fishermen's situations:[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can never have too much fishing tackle.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can never have too much storage space or flat surface upon which to stack stuff.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can never have too much power on your craft. But it is easy to be underpowered.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you have a good motor mount on your toon and the weight capacity and balance to handle the larger motor there should be no reason not to get that motor. It is often more power-efficient to run a larger motor at lower speeds than a smaller motor at higher speeds. Plus, for those times when you gotta boogie it is nice to have the extra push.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Double check the total weight of the motor and the shaft length...in comparison to what you now have. If it is not a considerable (and unliveable) difference then I say go for it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I think you will be fine with it but I don't know what boat you have. It would work well on my FC9. Battery life will be an issue. I bet a motor that size will eat a battery fast. You will need a series 27 battery for sure. Make sure your motor mount is sturdy. It will have a pile of power. You might not get much more than 3 MPH but you will be able to pull a tree stump. Ron
[signature]
The new motors with "maximizers" use a lot less power then they did years ago. I'd be willing to bet you'll get better hours with a new model 55 than an old model 36.
And if you're putting this on your Madison, you'll be stylin' and profilin'.
[signature]
I agree totally. Same frame we have on our X5 and the old man has a a 5 hp gas motor on his.
And I agree on the longer life with the Max. I had to put my 36 on 3 to move me at a fair clip, but I hardly have to turn the power up on my 40 Max.
If you don't want it, can I have it?[cool][Wink]
[signature]
I have never had a pontoon much less a pontoon with a motor but I have to say that my 55 minnkota on my 1848 Legend craft which is a big boat is to much for trolling. Even on 1 it trolls way to fast. If you just want a motor to get you some place then the 55 would be great but if you plan on trolling you might need to drag a fin or two plus a 5 gallon bucket.
[signature]
Right you are. I remember going from the 30 to the 36 on my Cardiac and because of my weight and what not, I flew. It takes very little to move two pontoons...very small foot print. But would be great for getting to spots quick and get off the lake quick if needed. If you want to troll, just kick or row.
[signature]
In a word yes.

However if you buy it and don't like it you can sell it easily enough. Get it and let us know if you liked/used it.

Or buy it and give it to Joni.
[signature]
Oooo, I like that idea...LOL
[signature]
work fine on mine, doess draw the power down and tends to troll fast than I would like. but if it's the right price you will have power!
[signature]
Thank you very much EVERYONE for your input. I will
try to get this motor and put it on and see what happens.
It is in hands of one of our FF club members.
His not sure how much he wants for it so.....will see.
I will post about it as things happen or not happen [Smile]

once again thank you all.

Peter
[signature]
Well, I got a message from the motor owner today that
he does not want to sell the motor after all[frown].
What a pooper that is. Oh well, what can I do.

Peter
[signature]