Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview and some poachers...
I was cruzin the shoreline working my butt off trying to put a SKI in the boat after several hours of tough fishing ...I pull up on a man and his son bank tangling on cemetery point, he had asked if I had boated any and I said no .... he chuckled and said they aren't that hard to catch.. he then proceeds to pull a micro ski out of his cooler already gutted ... and says see - easy to catch.

I was livid! !!! I immediately was on the phone with the poaching hotline, and weber county sheriffs pineview marine patrol... two phones working on On each ear.... after 35 min on the phone, the marine patrol was over in my area asking if I made the call... he was talking with the dwr on the radio ... they caught the man in the parking lot with musky in hand...

I will be damned it actually worked! !! Busted! !! Dont be afraid to report poaching or any illegal activity you see! It can pay off on occasion ..
I work to damn hard to catch these fish, and I respect them entirely to much to see some idiots slaughtering them ... makes me sick. That fish in several years could be the 50" fish I'm chasing ....

As for the fishing ... hooked up one large fish that unbuttoned right after hookup.
[signature]
It is encouraging that you got a reponse and they were able to catch the guy before he got away from the lake. I agree when we see people breaking the law we should report it. These guys are robbing all of the law abiding fisherfolk that support fishing in Utah.
[signature]
Good on ya - well done, good job. Hwa! Busted?

Was just talking with a gent at Benson Marina as I was loading out. And he told me he'd seen two fellers from out of town fishing Newton, and they showed him TWO musky in the trunk of their car. I had to ask twice and confirm - yeah, caught, kept, in a cooler.
I pointed out my understanding - all C&R both Newton and Pineview. (now fish lake, if it's over 40 - 1, right?!)

I guess since they were from out of state - they didn't know. Had to wonder if they even had a license!

No Excuse! Glad you made the call, and that "they" arrived in time to do something about it. Wonder if the guy didn't know, didn't care? Wonder what kind of fine he'll be slapped with. Hope it's hefty enough to deter!
great job!
[signature]
WELL DONE, WELL DONE, ROUND of APPLAUSE FOR YOU!!!

We heard about this last night as we have a common friend who informed us...for folks like you, us, and others who chase these fish we for sure as you stated respect them way to much and for someone to not know the rules wrt to TM fishing in Utah...even if from outta state if thats the case, get the guide book and dirty 4-letter word here R-E-A-D it and know the rules for the waters you are fishing here in Utah.

Every time we fish outta state the very first thing we get is the rules of engagement via Al Gores WWW as all the states have this information available on Mr. Gores WWW through their respective DWR sites.

Again a big THANK YOU for doing the right thing and reporting it...glad this guy got caught and see whose chuckling now as I'm sure his wallet will be a little lighter of $$$. [cool][cool]
[signature]
Thanks k2!! That common friend was quick to get me the numbers so a big thanks to him as well [cool] I will not stand for people who are looking to take the Musky notch off their belt... do the research and do it the right way... respect the beast as I would say [angelic]
[signature]
Good for you!

For those of you that don't know it, the poaching hot line phone number is on your fishing license.
This is a 24/7 phone number.
When you call it, you will actually talk to a real person. They will take your information and forward it to the correct authority. You will then get a call back from the person that is responding.
Simple!

Please, call when you see poaching!
[signature]
There's a number on your license - don't know if you got a different number - more local that the hotline maybe?

Don't they have signs right there at the lakes about TM release required? Probably the same kinda folks that can't respect a "wakeless speed" warning sign at Porcupine. Maybe they'll fill a cooler with pretty red Kokanee in the next month! (grrr)

I noticed in Idaho - they've got signs on approach to many many spots along the rivers/lakes warning of Salmon and Bull trout restrictions - with pictures to help identify. I did read up before I went there last year, and still got beat up on their board for so much as holding up a Bull "out of water" for a photo. AND as I proved (and regs updated this year to confirm) it was a matter of interpretation. Gotta be released is the key. And I was the guy who helped a bunch of Idaho natives and their kids safely revive and release a bunch that were caught (I had waders on).

It's nice feeling to sense that kick in the tail when they are ready to go, and you feel confident they're gonna do ok.
Yes there are signs at every parking lot and angler access point on the lake!
[signature]
The poaching hotline forwards to local volunteers who screen the calls and forward all the information to the appropriate game warden. It's a good feeling getting a warm body on the phone, and knowing they are a local outdoorsman who gives enough of a damn to volunteer for this duty makes the process that much more rewarding.
I'm glad you called utcatman, and aren't just making idle threats on a fishing forum to call next time if you see them doing it again [Wink]
[signature]
We provided the number below to the Weber County Marine Patrol on PV to our common friend when he informed us via text last night.

For others here is that number and these patrol boats are on the water and can respond quickly at PV...used this number several times on rec boaters buzzing us and the partol boat is there within 5 minutes if not sooner after the initial call.

FYSA here's the number to contact them:

1-801-629-8221
[signature]
Awesome.

+1 all the way.
[signature]
Nice Job UT........I like news like that! Your much nicer then I am...I probably would have snagged him with a 30lb bradded wire and large rapala and punched the old boat...lol OR NOT...
[signature]
So where can I volunteer for this hotline stuff? That is the kind of volunteer work I am looking for since I have a bum knee. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Jeeze and anglers get all mad about how you fish and handle these creatures!

Anyways I was a little shocked to see a dead TM (bones) on cemetery point last time I was out. Can't believe somebody would put one in the cooler! Considering this is a "protected species" I am sure the fine will be very very hefty. I am sure the angler will re-think doing that again!

In a separate matter I never saw any signs for TM regulations, although my twin has seen ones that say "special regulations". Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough or they are there but small but I have been to 4 beaches on that water and I never saw a single sign!

Maybe the lady at the fee both should be required to tell you this info. After all they get $11 per car and the last time I was there I saw them "grooming" the sand flat with an ATV! What a watse of resources, I would rather see that ATV checking anglers or creating bigger and more informative signs! I guess that is 2 less TM's I know of swimming in PV now. Damn and the bones I saw was a HUGE one. Pray that the bone TM was a death of old age!

If the fee is high enough they should post what it costs too. Yes I know some of you hate that idea so spare me the BS! If an angler was willing to pay it chances are they were going to do it anyway regardless of whether or not they knew the costs.

From what I hear from anglers out of state they don't taste all that great either. I bet the taste like bald eagle! (Just Kidding) If I had the chance to eat one I would so maybe I need to head down to fish lake.

PV is a well known TM fishery that guys travel from far away just to get a chance at hooking into one. Glad to see you had a chance to bust him. If he didn't let you see the TM then he probably would have gotten away for sure. He would probably be out there again taking another TM home if it were not for his own stupidity!
[signature]

[quote Utcatman]

As for the fishing ... hooked up one large fish that unbuttoned right after hookup.[/quote]

Did she breach? Did you get a visual? Come on I want more information on the fish fight here. Those TM's are a thrill to catch. Have you ever caught one before? If so, I am sure you have the "Muskie Fever" too. I will PM you some tactics on catching those beautiful fish (you deserve it for calling them in). As you will be able to tell I do not let out all my secrets when it comes to catching.

P.S. Thanks for reporting the Tiger Poaching. Considering they do not reproduce (although they go through the motions) all I have to say is....Tiger Muskie down...we have a Tiger Muskie down.[frown][frown][frown][frown][frown][frown][Image: beaten.gif][Image: beaten.gif][Image: beaten.gif][frown][frown][frown][frown][frown][frown] What a tragedy
[signature]
There are signs at PV wrt TM mandatory C&R. Look for the metal signs there is a sticker on each sign. Including it's in the Utah guidebook.

Also Ut and wildcat94 are 2 fine TM anglers that know how to fish for these fish.
[signature]
Not to butt heads with you here K2 but there are no signs at the pullouts along the dam (right side) nor at Cemetary Point...there wasn't even a sign saying "special regs, check proc". Considering that is where we caught/see others catching them some signs are needed for sure! Most read it in the proc but you would not believe how many people do not read it. I was asked by over 10 fisherman at Currant Creek...."what's the limit up here?" To which I reply, "4 trout a day just like most other places in UT".
[signature]
[quote k2muskie]
Also Ut and wildcat94 are 2 fine TM anglers that know how to fish for these fish.[/quote]

+100 to that (sorry, a simple plus 1 is insufficient here). No offense - but I don't think they need tips. Check their past posts - you will be seriously impressed and inspired. But don't expect nitty gritty details or GPS points.

Those boys have had great posts from both Newton and Pineview, not to mention being the Smallmouth Masters at the View.
They hit it often, and hit it hard (and I am TOTALLY green with envy!)

Don't get me started on their Channel Catting adventures either. Master's of the night!

FWIW - I've heard that Musky and Pike are pretty good eating fish to be honest. Big bones, but if you filet them right - check Youtube - bunch of filet techniques out there. I'd presume it's a more solid "steak-like" flesh, not flaky like your little panfish varieties.
But I don't speak from personal experience. Friends out in the midwest tell me though about them - they are deceptive, and will seem day as day, then turn on you when you bring out the knife!
[quote k2muskie]There are signs at PV wrt TM mandatory C&R. Look for the metal signs there is a sticker on each sign. Including it's in the Utah guidebook.

Also Ut and wildcat94 are 2 fine TM anglers that know how to fish for these fish.[/quote]

Well I missed them (even though I know the regs!). As I stated earlier maybe they need to be bigger and more obvious. You tend to go there a lot so it is no surprise to me that you saw them. I still think the best way to inform anglers is to have the fee both people tell you the regs on the TM's.

As for Ut and wildcat94 being good fisherman I must ask "what is wrong with sharing info and comparing notes"? Maybe my twin is getting into them in a place they would not have considered to hold TM's? The guy didn't get any (well lost one) so maybe my twin has good places to look for them next time.

Jeeze it wasn't like he said that they were horrible anglers or something. He was just willing to help them, K2 and Cyote Spinner. In no way shape of form did he intend to say "you haven't a clue on how to get them, I know more than you".

Don't know why in the world you guys are taking it that way so stop taking it that way!
[signature]
Haha dude thats all I fish for these days... go back about 2 weeks and look at my reports.. haha sure send me a PM! it would be nice to get a pm that isn't begging for info ... has your brother tried a them big suicks? ? I hear if u tip em with a crawler its even more productive.. or how about blue fox spinner?? Man those things are killer on the tigers! Dont tell everyone you see though ...
[signature]