Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crawdads
Not sure if this is the right board for this post, but thought I would ask. Took the family up to Strawberry on Saturday for our own little crawdad fest. We used to go every year but had missed out on the past few. Always fun to catch a bunch and have a shoreline feast.

Anyway, the crawdads we caught this year were smaller than in past years. There seemed to be a lot more of them, but they were generally smaller. Do crawdads stunt if there are too many? Does anyone know lakes where there are consistently larger crawdads? (Or is that hotspotting?) Thanks.
[signature]
Yes crawdads stunt. Has to do with the amount of forage there is available, and the number of dads. It was a particularly good year for the breed and there were a lot. In another month they will be prime. Also might want to try another area. You can change shorelines by like a mile away or less and have larger dads.
[signature]
You wanna see another Crawfishing technique? Check out [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=684586;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]this post/video[/url]. Pretty wicked fun looks like! Need to show this one to my boy!

Maybe we'll try it at Willard!
The family and I were up at the berry about 3 weeks ago and caught a load of crawdads also. We noticed that the majority of them had eggs. It was a real good year for the dads and we caught plenty of them! I heard that the dads at soldier creek were a little larger than the ones at strawberry bay, might have to check it out.
[signature]
My family and I just also got back from renegade at strawberry and caught crawfish both during the day and night. We noticed that the larger crawdads come out at night and the average size we caught at night were bigger than during the day.

Schofield has much larger crawdads and the large ones are much more common. Use chicken thighs I saw some people using hotdogs which will work but for only a few at a time. I pulled 6-14 up at a time with one thigh and string sunday and monday
[signature]