Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life vest
So since I have a pontoon I need a life vest on the boat. Having 2 boats already I have a few life jackets so I figured I would take this time to investigate the inflatable vests. Spending a couple weeks stream fishing in Montana and Idaho plus some float tubing showed me I am not as young as I once was plus I have the wife to worry about.

I am wanting a self inflating vest that can be worn wade fishing or float tubing with no fear of going off until needed. Should I be looking at a manual vest only or will an automatic vest still work? I watched a few videos and it appears that some auto vests will not go off unless they are completely submerged. What are some vest suggestions?
[signature]
I just know there are some waters around here that they are NOT legal.
A few on this forum have them and like them although not sure they have needed to inflate them.
Myself, and again, just my opinion, they are way over priced and if there is any chance of failure it would happen to me...so I take the guess work out and pack a regular life vest, and spend more on the pontoon[cool][Wink]
[signature]
Totally personal choice [Wink]

Peter
[signature]
[quote muddydogs]So since I have a pontoon I need a life vest on the boat. Having 2 boats already I have a few life jackets so I figured I would take this time to investigate the inflatable vests. Spending a couple weeks stream fishing in Montana and Idaho plus some float tubing showed me I am not as young as I once was plus I have the wife to worry about.

I am wanting a self inflating vest that can be worn wade fishing or float tubing with no fear of going off until needed. Should I be looking at a manual vest only or will an automatic vest still work?

I have used an older SOS manual type a decade plus and like the comfort and low bulk, you can even omit canister for pack in trips. Sometimes I manually inflate by breath for testing, or if there is a fore known capsizing danger. There are some automatic vests that can be switched to manual and back, but I don't have one to report about. Cabellas bargain barn periodically has huge discounts on inflatable vests...

Pon

[signature]
Cabellas bargain barn periodically has huge discounts on inflatable vests...

I wonder why? I would never buy a parachute from a "Bargain Barn"...LOL, just sayin'

Peter, great point.

You realize, on stillwater, you are not require to wear them (unless you are a youth), just have them on hand. Rivers or moving water on the other hand, require one on at all times.
[signature]
Peter:

Agree on personal choice, much depends on the individual comfort preferences and the waters being fished.

FG:

Cabellas BB stuff can be new, used or discontinued, so I would always check out carefully.

Inflatables are coast guard approved for extremely hazardous offshore conditions. They turn a body upright to a breathing position while flexing, and won't hamper mobility in front with a solid foam block. That's just my preference for a better parachute, but I know they're not for everyone.

Since I only have the inflatable kind, for myself -would call the GW for those few rivers to see if they can be used in the deployed state....

Hope this helps.

Pon
[signature]
Why would some rivers not allow them? Chance of error or malfunction?
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Why would some rivers not allow them? Chance of error or malfunction?[/quote]

Yes, that's a possibility which can be reduced if used in the deployed state. There's also local political and business promotion and over regulation by our ever wise govt in response to a potential hazard due to negligence of the owner. Seems to me all water sports are hazardous, and thats part of the fun! I choose to wear a PFD at all times and not just have one on board. But wonder if we should be forcing everyone to use a PFD, so long as the burden remains with THEM.

P.
[signature]
I agree the world is full of coddled idiots, but I also think, the same force that can pop, rip, put a hole in heavy duty rafts, can also pop, rip, put a hole in an inflatable vest, along with a malfunction, even if inflated first, which kind of defeats the purpose of an inflatable, doesn't it?
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]I agree the world is full of coddled idiots, but I also think, the same force that can pop, rip, put a hole in heavy duty rafts, can also pop, rip, put a hole in an inflatable vest, along with a malfunction, even if inflated first, which kind of defeats the purpose of an inflatable, doesn't it?[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Where are you fishing? Afghanistan?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
LOL feels like it, but seriously, doesn't wearing one inflated defeat the purpose?
[signature]
I see an inflatable as a easy vest to wear. My wife gets a little uncomfortable while on the water even in a float tube so the less bulky inflatable would be great to wear. I would also like to wear one while wade fishing some of the bigger faster rivers as I am not as sure footed or maybe thats dump as I use to be. An inflatable looks like it would fit under a fly vest just fine.

From my research there appears to be a manual vest where you pull the handle and it inflate. There is also an automatic vest that once it gets wet it inflates plus the auto vest also has a manual pull handle. The third style and the one I will get is an auto / manual vest. This vest works just like an auto vest but the user can remove the auto inflate canister and turn the vest into a manual only vest. The manual only would be great for wade fishing or float tubing as the bottom of the vest has a good chance of getting wet and this is where the auto canister sets. The vest could then be turned back into an auto vest if worn in a power boat or where hitting your head while falling into the water was a worry.

They are expensive, Sportsmans has the Onyx 24 A/M for $120. This same vest can be had at Sportsmans Guide for $90.00. Recharge kits run around $12 for just the co2 cylinder and $20 for the co2 plus auto ring deal.
I have looked at the Cabela's vests but can't find much online info on them to tell if they are the Auto / Manual or just Auto. I do think some of the Cabela's vests are Mustang brand.

Anyway I think I am going to get the wife one and I will finish out the season with a regular vest strapped to the pontoon. I have went this long running boats without wearing a vest, most the time its been a duck boat in the swamp in the middle of the night. I think I will be fine till spring floating around between 2 9 foot flotation devices. Having said that I will probably sink the boat this weekend.
[signature]
I get the beauty if you are going to wear a vest every time you go out. Light weight, cool, etc.
I just meant that on a tube or toon where not required to wear one, the cost and maintenance might not be required. Lets face it, they cost more that a lot of tubes, but a good chance you would never use it.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Agreed. I had an inflatable for awhile but "downloaded" it to a needy newbie tuber. I also felt that I would be just as well served by having a "regular" vest within easy reach...rather than wearing an inflatable that only got in the way.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Life vests are like jackets on a warm day. Better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Wearing an inflated inflatable kinda defeats the whole idea. Like always carrying around an umbrella fully opened, even when there is no rain.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Absolutely...
[signature]
Your idea of a convertible manual/auto vest makes sense.
I wear my manual inflation vest on stillwater and a kayak high-back foam vest on rivers. In both cases, I also strap a smaller foam vest on the back of the pontoon just in case.

Seems like when I floated the Green last year they didn't allow the inflatables but they also required the class V type vests that hold your head up. My kayak vest doesn't even do that although it has a very high buoyancy rate.

I've also considered wearing the inflatable on a few of the bigger rivers during higher flows but haven't done so yet. Will definitely try it next year.

Jim
[signature]
Inflated or not?
[signature]
I would definitely wear it uninflated as it looks way to bulky if it's inflated. Tried wade fishing with my kayak style foam vest this weekend while floating a river (just kept it on when I beached the boat) and it was uncomfortable (had to extend my arm out more than normal wearing out my shoulder).

Jim
[signature]
The best PFD is the one that is worn, especially as one's age goes up or fitness goes down. We have had an unusual number of mysterious drownings this hot summer (record number of 100 degree+) in my area. http://www.kvue.com/news/local/Water-res...65998.html Also, some commercial deep sea deck hands use them because they allow enough comfort/mobility to do vigorous work. That's good enough for me.

I think it is a good idea to test all features of an inflatable PFD at least once after purchase. You may find the inflation point where your face is out of water is considerably less than the full inflation provided by the canister. A partially inflated vest has a lot of give, as the bulk is less and it can move around to accomodate some contortions compared to a foam block on your chest.

Walking around with an open umbrella is still better than walking around holding a foam block over your head for rain protection. Wearing partially inflated works for me when I expect special hazards, but it's not for everyone. Most of the time (90%+), I wear uninflated and don't even know it's there. Still, I'm against any law that forces someone to purchase a PFD.

Pon
[signature]