Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tying Flies
Id like to start tying my own flies. Should go out and get one of those beginner kits? Or should I just figure out what flies I want to to start tying, and just buy the specific tools and materials?
[signature]
The beginner kits are seriously lacking in both good materials and good tools.

Figure out what flies you want to tie first i.e. wooly buggers, then buy the size hooks you want, the chenille, the marabou, the hackle. The good news is you can see a ton of patterns on youtube. The better fly shops will help you with a technique or two i.e. whip finishing, if you just go in and ask them.

I have a set up I bought that I never ended up using that has all the tools and I could set you up with some hackle and chenille too. Depending on what you want to spend on material it would cost between $150 and $250. I'll even give you a lesson to get you started.

Ken.
[signature]
I would definitely stay away from the kits. As was said, the quality is usually pretty lacking.
[signature]
Not all kits are created equal. You have to do HOMEWORK on them.
Like this kit:

http://www.fishusa.com/Wapsi-Deluxe-Fly-...Kit_p.html

Has all the flies you need to get a good hold on fishing and yes it is in a kit. Price is fair enough to upgrade vise and a few more ceramic or teflon bobbins.

When I did work at the fly stores, I was there to help people put together a kit, but for this price they were limited on the different flies.

Granted, the material never goes bad and great to stock up, I just really recommend this kit to beginner here in the Rocky Mountains...great selection of USEABLE flies. Then just replenish the materials as needed.

Oh, and as far as tools, a hair stacker, whip finisher, Bodkin, GOOD bobbins meaning the teflon or ceramic, and a good pair of scissors and NEVER cut wire from the tip of the scissors, us the hinge area.
In the 30+ years I have been tying, I have never used Hackle Pliers, but you may want them.
[signature]
When I first started tying, not knowing any better, and being on a budget I bought one of those deluxe kits from Cabelas. I can say the vise in them is crap, The tools are ok I mean there's not a whole allot of difference in hair stackers and bodkins. But the thread bobbin was really tight and scissors were dull. Theres a reason why there so inexpensive your better off spending the cheese and get you a good vise . Plus a good vise will last you a lifetime. I know how it is when money is tight but trust me you will end up tossing the kit vise and wanting new one.

Oh and get a good pair of mini scissors dull scissors with fray your thread and are a pain in the !@# to work with.
[signature]
I too bought a kit several years ago...still have that vise however, but I agree, an up grade is inevitable.
I don't understand about the material being crap however.
I will agree and stated that a good bobbin and scissors are a must, but the vise can get you a few flies, then I used it to dry flies or display flies[laugh][laugh]

If you go out and buy the major investment of tools and vise, you still need to look at the material. Hooks anywhere from $3.00 to $6.00 (some even more) per 25. Then dubbing, what color? at anywhere from $2. to $5., same with Chenille. Now hair, looking at a little more and FEATHERS!!!! well, hopefully the fashion statement will die off.
Threads- $2. and up Wire - $2. and up, Floss, etc.....

So, in essence, the kit I posted, buy the material for a Haresear, a copper john, pupas, midges, buggers, etc.....I think you will be surprised at how much you just spent, where as for $70. you got a fair supply of each of these, plus the extras...Just sayin' not all kits are created equal.
Oh, and every fly in this kit is a keeper.
[signature]
Sinergy:So do you agree with FG on the kit she is suggesting and just buying a better vise to use with it? This kit looks better then any of the others ive seen in that price range.

OldTroller: I am also interested in the setup your offering to sell. Please send me a PM so I can get more details.
[signature]
JLG78, Ya I agree, from the picture the vise looks to be same vise that comes with the Cabela's kit. If it were me Id junk it and get a better one. But since it comes with the kit Id say give it a try that way you will appreciate a better vise that much more. The being said Waspi does makes some quality tying material allot of of what I own and have purchased over the years has been Waspi.
[signature]
FG, the Kit I purchased didn't come with any material just vise, tools, & a cheap wooden box. I slowed pieced my materials together but I can say allot of material Ive purchased has been Waspi.
[signature]
The vise is the first to be replaced. we offered an upgrade at Orvis with the Orvis kits for money difference minus like $15. for the vise in the kit. Not sure if Cabela's offers that or not.

Myself, I upgrade to a rotary, but I do a lot of dubbing loops.
[signature]
The kit I got when I was 14 definitely had crap material. I think the whole kit cost $20. I still haven't been able to find a use for the royal blue marabou and bright yellow Saddle hackle that it came with. It was all pretty low grade, ratty and sparse, regardless of color it just wasn't very good.
[signature]
I was going to suggest that people that are so against kits have either bought a very inexpensive set or heard horror stories.
I know for a fact, the Orvis kit had beautiful material and I am sure same is true with Wapsi.
I will add, I used that vise for close to 8 years before up grading to Renzetti, but true, things were made better in the old days....LOL

gstott, man I would take that stuff off your hands. Gartside softhackle in BLUE at 30' is awesome leech pattern..blue is underestimated color. My go to Chironomid this year has been black thread with cobalt blue wire.
And the yellow Saddle...check out the Platte River Spider:

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/...rentID=116

Killer fall pattern in 5 to 10 feet of water at Strawberry.
[signature]
I totally get what you are saying about the cheesy flies some of the kits produce. But all im really looking for is a foot in the door towards tying. I do not expect to get amazing flies right off the bat. I figure I could use the kit to learn the fundamentals. Then upgrade tools and materials slowly like Sinergy said. I tend to only use a small hand full of patters. My goal is to learn to tie those so I can stop ordering online. I find great deals, but seems like those mass produced (cheaper by the dozen) flies fall apart to easily, and have defects like glue in the eye of the hook.
[signature]
Okay, I will shut up now....LOL (rare moment)[laugh]
Good luck.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Okay, I will shut up now....LOL (rare moment)[laugh]
Good luck.[/quote]

Oh Quidditch!
You have posted pix of some of the most beautiful looking flies - and the cutest little mousy patterns - I had to show them to my daughter (and she doesn't even fish!). I don't really fly fish, at least not yet . . . done Tye-dying, not fly-tying.
I highly respect any opinion you'd share regarding flies, fly tying, fly fishing. And you've landed the Crap-load to prove it works!

I've seen a number of "fly tying" setups on KSL - but I'd guess w/o really knowing what's in them - it'd be hard to judge their bargain/value ??? Could just be one of those cheap kits folks got frustrated with.

So ya'll agree on a better vise. What vise would you experts recommend? And why? And how much?
I have a box of bits from my Dad - feathers, and fur mostly. Don't think there's much for hardware - sure he had some and it ended up in a different box and got shucked away as "unknown tools".

Blue's a good Musky Color! Big bad and dark!
Plus Blues on the Bass - now you're talking (but I don't mean fish this time! Smile
No please keep in coming.. Your always a great help.

P.S. Im still using those furled leaders!! im hooked on um for life.
[signature]
I guess I'd better dust that material off and give it a try then [Smile] I've used purple and blood for leeches, this blue just looked so bright. Actually I do recall making a bugger with it in high school, and I did catch a carp on it. I never thought to try it for trout.

As for the question of what hardware to get besides a vise I would get a whip finisher, scissors, dubbing needle, dubbing loop tool, hackle pliers, several thread bobbins and make sure you get some head cement. I'm probably forgetting something, but that's what came off the top of my head.
[signature]
Far from a expert but I tie with a Griffen Blackfoot Mongoose, Luv it the 360 rotary makes it a breeze to wrap materials around the fly, The jaws are pretty solid I tie allot of size 20 flies in the winter and the Griffen holds them securely. The only thing I dont like is there no Cam jaw available but a couple turns of the screw is just a minor inconvenience. Check Sportmans I was able to get it on sale for 100 bucks
[signature]
That sounds like an awesome vice. That would make some of the things I hate, like spinning deer hair, a whole lot nicer. I really should upgrade soon.
[signature]
Not really sure the spinning feature would be a plus in spinning deer hair, but maybe it is just me. Trimming yes.
I have the Renzetti Traveler with the thumb screw and the cam jaws, but they run about $83. each to replace. I tie #2 to #32 with it.
I also use the Vosseler double head.
[signature]