Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fishing on the south slope
Ok mamatrout has finally decided that she wants to go camping over labor day weekend and has found one of these campgrounds, Hades, Iron MIne, or Aspen, Upper Stillwater might be a possibility as well. How is the fishing out this direction? I have never been there before. PM's are welcome.

Thanks!
[signature]
Hades washed out earlier this year. Last I heard it was still closed. Aspen and Iron Mine are nice campgrounds. The main fishing close by is the North Fork of the Duchesne. I am a little unfamiliar with the campground at Upper Stillwater, but there is the reservoir to fish and Rock Creek above. Haven't fished these waters lately so no report on fishing.
[signature]
Ok the decision has been made to camp at the upper stillwater campground. Any info on this area is appreciated, thanks! Again Pm's are welcome.
[signature]
Thanks for your reply. We will stay at the upper stillwater cg.
[signature]
@ Upper Still Water the water was going over the spillway a couple weeks ago and they were not allowing any boats or float tubes,canoes, crafts ect. on the lake until the water is 3 or 4 feet below the spillover level. For safety reasons. Not sure what the current status is. I have not fished the upper lake but it looks like the water right off shore is really deep and steep. There are all types of trout. I planned on fishing the mouth this year to try for a possible grayling but have been too busy throwing dries in the rivers. Oh and also you have to hike to the lake. The campgrounds are not right next to it like they are at Moon lake. There is a boat ramp but I don't know if it is open yet.
[signature]
Thanks good info to have. I am planning on taking a float tube with me, hopefully it will be ready for some action. Would like to catch a grayling again. It has been 11 years since my last one.
[signature]
UpperStillwater/Rock Creek Dam has not allowed boating or floating for a couple of years now. Ashley Nat'l. shut it down due to rock slides. It's posted in the Fishing Proc. under the boating section.

Good luck in that country Albinotrout! The Rock is clear!
[signature]
The camp host/volunteer I talked with had informed me that they do allow boats, just not while I was there due to the water flowing over the spillway. He also said that they just finished the boat ramp after spending a couple million to get it ready to go. I was just stating what he told me, and sometimes camp hosts are not always 100% accurate. I will have to talk to the forest service next time I get a chance. They do have a bunch of bolts drilled into the walls next to the trail you have to walk to get to the lake. At first I thought they were rock climbing routs.. I am sure that they are there to hold the rocks.
[signature]
When I checked the proc I did not see it listed under the boating section.
[signature]
That would be great news if they were now allowing boats, toons, etc.
I've waited a few years to hear that!

Albinotrout ...check page 32 'Watercraft Restrictions'.
[signature]
Hey, one more option. I called the Duchesne Ranger district today and they said that the Hades campground has been repaired. More importantly, the road to the Grandview Trailhead has been reaired and is also open. One more option would be to camp at Hades, Iron Mine or Aspen and then take a 4.5 mile day hike into the Grandaddy area. There are several lakes there to fish. If you are up for the hike with the kids, that may be a good option.
[signature]