Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weber 2 - Me 0
Man, fishing on the Weber is TOUGH! Whether it be just right now or always. Decided to stop off at Peterson just below Morgan, saw some really good holes that definitely should've been holding fish. We couldn't pull out one single fish in a mile stretch! What's the deal. We tried everything! Dry and wet. Hoppers, Caddis, Adams, Gnat, Nyphms, Wooly buggers. I'm just left with scratching my head at this moment.

With that said, is there a reason why this part of the river isn't holding fish? Anyone recommend some places that are holding fish? I know everyones hush hush of their "secret spots" on public land, guess that don't really make em secret but. You know what I mean! Recommend going higher below Echo? Or between Echo and Rockport? Possibly the Ogden River? Haven't seen to many reports on either of these spots.

We also hit the Logan last Sunday with a little luck! Caught my first fish ever on a fly rod so, it was a good ice breaker for sure! Now I just need to get hooked! Somehow..... FYI, the logan is still roaring right now! Really tough fishing right now. But there's fish there! Fishing would be great once the river slows down more.
[signature]
Haven't fished that stretch in years ... trying to remember why.. isn't there allot private land in that area ??? In any event bounce some nymphs of the bottom couple of size bb split shots or weighted flies. Scuds, prince nymph hares ears, copper johns should all work.
[signature]
Bouncing is a dirty, dirty trick. [Wink] But it sure works wonders.

I fished the weeb on Tues. Right off the bat started wakkin white fish, in line nymph rig Used sow bugs and these red wire headed rainbow scuds I tied that I was experimenting with. The fishing got tough after the first run but caught a couple small browns swinging emerging patterns.
As for where the water between echo and rockport has all changed from the past few years. It always changes but this year it really moved some sandbars, gravel, rocks and trees. It might take a couple more trips for me to dial in where the big fish are hanging out. Ya just gotta go out and explore the river. I have not been around the area for the past few months so I still need to do my own scouting. If you don't mind crowds you could always go below the dams.
[signature]
The concentration of fish in certain stretches of the Weber has always made me scratch my head. There are areas that have tons of fish and others that seem to have none. You just may have fished an area like that.

Now I am just Sadistic enough to make myself go back to that area until I caught a fish there. Trust me the harder the fishing the better you will get at it. Out of necessity you will start paying attention to the details.
[signature]
[quote FOD]
Ya just gotta go out and explore the river.
[/quote]

[quote OldTroller]
Trust me the harder the fishing the better you will get at it.
[/quote]

Hit the nail on the head keep hitting the pavement you will eventually find spots that hold lots of fish.
[signature]
Man I have been left scratching my head a lot this year in regards to Weber River. This year has been a weird year though.
[signature]
Try a bh pheasant tail followed by a sow size 18 that's pattern works all yr long
[signature]
A set up that has worked great for me on the Weber similar to what Southernbass suggested is a bh prince with a flashback Scud (olive) or (tan) about 18" below the top fly. But like it was mentioned... you have to get it down to the bottom.
[signature]
I've been fishing the Weber heavily for the last 5 years and this year is definitely not typical. The river is stuffed full of fish so that is not problem. The high water really changed a lot of structure and holes and affected the hatches. I've been out twice since the water calmed down and while I have caught a few fish, things are still off for some reason. And the evening hatches have been very disappointing. Other rivers that have calmed are fishing really well but the Weber just might need some extra time to recover. In years past, I have had some magical experiences on the river so that is why it has been so upsetting this year. In the long run I think the high water makes for healthy fish and healthy river.
[signature]