Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
willard catfish/carp tips Please and Thanks
Hey all, Thanks to my humble acceptence that I can't teach myself I asked for some help Catching fish when I go out fishing and it sure has helped!. Went from many months of skunk after skunk to not a single skunk trip in the last 10 fish outings.

Now I just have to test my luck more... I've now caught bass,Trout, perch and sunfish this month and am DYING for my easily favorite fish... the kitties....

Anybody completely awesome enough to give me some pointers on maybe a place or setup that could get me into some whiskered fishies. I live in Farmington so WIllard is probably the closes place that is known for cats from my house, but I may be able to swing a Utah Lake trip if I'm meeting up with someone down there!

I'd love to meet more guys/gals from the site so feel free to contact me any time! thanks!

I've got a toon by the way just in case that matters ? haha
[signature]
PM sent. Unless we get another crazy lightning storm like last night! I'll be camping with my Birthday Boy and his buds at the north end.

If anyone's planning to be out there - give us a shout out. I won't be able to keep up with the "real" boats, but would love to get on some Wipers/Walleye/Kitties oh my!

(hell, I'll settle for Perch/BlueGills/Crappie - oh yah!)
[cool][#0000ff]The catfishing at Willard has been somewhat slower this year, for some unexplainable reason. And it ain't just because the fish are full of shad. The ones I have caught are not eating all that well. And they have definitely been harder to find and to catch. Still plenty of them in the lake and still lots of them being caught. Just not as fast and furious as in years past.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Catfish are more active in warmer water but as the temps start dropping after the first of September we will see all the species get busy feeding up for the coming cold water season. I typically have some of my best kitty catchin' in the fall. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are several places around the lake that you can expect good action from the rocks but you will generally do better from a boat or tube...so that you can cover more water and different depths to locate the ZONE on any particular day. And that does change from trip to trip...even if the fish stay in the same general area.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am PMing a copy of the writeup I put together on Willard Bay Catfish. Should be some help there for ya.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also, stay in touch and maybe we can meet up for a kitty tutorial in the next weeks.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey Thanks very much for the offer. I unfortunatally came down with some virus right after posting this so I didn't even think about fishing till today. Sorry for leaving you hanging. Thanks for the offer and I'd very much like to hit a lake with you sometime. Thanks!
[signature]
Thanks TD,

Your always full of usefull information and never seem to hesitate to answer my questions... ALL OF THEM... haha

I'd absolutely love to fish with you sometime.

I've been curious when you say drag a minnow/cut bait on the bottom how fast do you usually "drag" it? I've always wondered if I retrieve too fast when using things like spinners, so I sure as heck have no idea how fast you would retrieve bait. Do you just leave it stationary and let your drift move it as natural as possible?

Also are you actually allowed to catch a minnow at any lake, kill it, then use it as bait on that lake? I heard from a reliable source that you can catch them and use them as bait but I always like to double check my facts.

Thanks for all your help!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Happy to help when I can. I will also be happy to meet up with you sometime soon for a show and tell session. It is always easier to learn new stuff by doing than by reading. I think I can get you acquainted with a few Willard kitties.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Normally when I am "dragging" a minnow it is being slowly pulled around on the bottom on one rod while I am stopping and moving while casting lures on the other rod. Sometimes I maintain a slow and steady dragging speed but often it is stop and start. Sometimes the fish like it motionless. Other times a bit of movement gets their attention better.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Minnows legal to use are chubs, carp and suckers. You can catch them wherever you find them and you can use them (dead) anywhere bait is legal. There is no rule about them having to come from the same lake. That is only for fishing live crawdads.[/#0000ff]
[signature]