Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opening Day... Archery 2011
Well got up into my tree at 5:05 AM. Didn't see a thing until I caught a glipse of a deer skirting around my meadow at 7:25ish. I only saw it for a couple minutes in a few small openings in the trees. I was debating on getting down between 8:00-8:30. Chose to stay to 8:30, and it turned out to be a good decision. At 8:20 I saw 4 deer up on a ridge across the meadow from me. They were on a trail I have seen many animals on over the years I have hunted this spot, and they would stay on top of the ridge and go around, or come right under me on a decent little trail. Lucky for me, it was the second option. Turned out to be a doe and her 2 fawns, followed by a nice little 4x3. Apparently the buck got closer to the fawns than the doe liked, because she chased him away three times. The last time be bolted up into the trees. Needless to say I was kinda disappointed. As she made her way off, he came back. Gave me a decent shot at 8-9 yards. I took the shot, and within 30 seconds he was laying in his final resting spot about 50 yards away.
Deer down by 8:45 opening day... time for elk hunting!

Not the biggest buck, but good enough for me.
[signature]
[Wink]Nice job BH3, good to see a successful bowhunter. Hope the elk hunt treats you right, you know how tough that can be with it being this early in the year and as hot as it is. I still think the state owes it to the bow hunter to move the elk season back a couple more weeks. Congrats on a nice buck.
[signature]
Nice. Hope my opening day goes that well!
[signature]
Anybody know what I would need to do to preserve the rack in velvet? I usually just cut them off as I have, and hang them in my dad's garage. I think I am going to make a plaque, and mount this set to it. So, since it will be in my house, I don't want it to stink. I also don't want the velvet to rot. I have read many contradicting points about this online. Just curious if anyone has any good advice from experience.

Thanks
[signature]
The "aldehyde" type preservatives that are injected into the veins seem to be the best. I've seen the freeze dry method, and I'm not all that impressed. If you pick some up, be very careful. Don't get in near food, as the vapors will be absorbed, then make you sick. VanDyke's and WASCO carry a pretty good antler tanning agent as well.

Congrats on a good buck!
[signature]
That is a fine buck, he looks like he wanted to be a 4x4 just could not get the antler to branch off.

I saw three bulls the other day all 5x5 or bigger running around near tabby. I couldn't believe my eyes at first. I thought that they might be getting pushed lower than most might think to look for them.(some river bottoms). I also thought that at that moment it might have been the dumbest thing those bulls have ever done in their life, being as big as they were and being as vulnerable as they were. If it was rifle season they would have been dead. As they were on the any bull side of the road.

Good luck Cody on the elk this year.[cool]
[signature]
Thanks Scott, I need all the luck I can get. I hunted an evening and a morning out in the basin, seeing nothing. So, I fished Starvy last night instead. My dad ended up seeing a herd at my stand and shot a cow out of it... go figure.
[signature]
Very cool. Good job, great story too.
[signature]