Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soft plastic leeches
The other week I was out helping the local sporting goods store reach their sales goals when I spotted a pack of Gulp 3'' leeches. I have used a leech pattern when flyfishing, but never tried it with my bait caster in a soft plastic presentation. It looked like a perfect lure to put on my drop shot rig, so I picked up a pack.

I was very pleased with the results after my first outing. I caught both smallmouth and yellow perch. I rigged it in a drop shot presentation, and fished it very slowly. I used a number two Mustad drop shot hook on 8 pound monofilament. There is a little ring or "mouth" on the bottom side of the head of the lure, this is where I hooked it. Most of the fish seem to have extreme confidence when hitting the lure. I got some pretty hard strikes, and most of the fish hooked themselves.

Before I went out fishing a friend told me not to stick a leech back in the bag after it is used. He told me that he had done so with some other Gulp products that are biodegradable, and the water from the used lure started breaking down the new ones in the bag. So I left a leech on the hook of my drop shot rod, by the time we got home it was shriveled up and somewhat hardened. Just thought it was interesting, haven't experienced this before.
[signature]
They're definitely a productive little bait, though because of their problems with not holding up very well, I save them for when the fish are really finicky. Most of the time I just use small reapers made from normal plastic and they have been very effective.
[signature]