Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick Draw Rod Holder
[cool][#0000ff]I've played around with a lot of different designs for rod holders on my tube. I came up with this design for a "quick-draw" holder after trying it on some ice fishing trips toward the end of the season this past year. Finally got around to making a couple and trying them out. Work great on the past two or three trips.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The idea is to have a simple holder that will securely hold your rods but the rods can be quickly inserted and removed as needed. These holders have held up against some large hard fighting fish and some bodacious strikes while trolling for trout at Starvation. Complete success with no lost rods. Not even close.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Perhaps the major beauty of these little gems is that they are not complicated. Just a cheap PVC tee...3/4" on each end with a step down adapter hole for the 1/2" PVC pipe attaching to your tube. Less than a dollar.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here are some pics. [/#0000ff]

[inline CONSTRUCTION.jpg]

[inline "TOP VIEW.jpg"]

[inline "LEFT AND RIGHT.jpg"]

[inline "RIGHT SIDE.jpg"]

[inline "LEFT SIDE.jpg"]

[inline "NET HOLDER.jpg"]
[signature]
Now that's what I'm talking about, Maestro! Are these fixed or can they be adjusted sideways, can't tell from the pics....

For more strength, there is a higher schedule gray PVC available at Lowes which has "T" fittings, but they may only be available in the threaded form. I'll have to go back and look..

Thanks for sharing.

Pon

[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]I've played around with a lot of different designs for rod holders on my tube. I came up with this design for a "quick-draw" holder after trying it on some ice fishing trips toward the end of the season this past year. Finally got around to making a couple and trying them out. Work great on the past two or three trips.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The idea is to have a simple holder that will securely hold your rods but the rods can be quickly inserted and removed as needed. These holders have held up against some large hard fighting fish and some bodacious strikes while trolling for trout at Starvation. Complete success with no lost rods. Not even close.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Perhaps the major beauty of these little gems is that they are not complicated. Just a cheap PVC tee...3/4" on each end with a step down adapter hole for the 1/2" PVC pipe attaching to your tube. Less than a dollar.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here are some pics. [/#0000ff]

[/quote]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There was another picture I forgot to include that would have answered the "adjustment" question.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][inline CONNECTION.jpg][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I slip the 1/2" PVC shaft down inside a PVC connector...with a screw running through it. The shaft is notched to fit over that screw. That locks it into place so that it does not rotate when being pulled by a fish. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]With similar rod holders I have actually fought a fish on one of them while fighting a second fish with my rod arm. You can maneuver the tube to keep sideways pressure on the second fish. And as long as the drag is set properly it won't break anything. I have successfully landed many doubles on catfish and wipers. You can go for a long time without a bite and then WHAM...a double. That's a good problem to have.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not sure that extra strength is necessary. The plain old PVC seems to be plenty strong.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, I have also made several experimental models using 1" to 1/2" tees. But they are a bit loose and not as secure to my tastes.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice design. I'm going to make one and give it a try, but I'm really tempted to tether my pole to my tube just in case. [:/]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Always a good idea to play it safe until you are 100% confident. But I will guarantee that there have been a lot more rods lost because of a LACK of rod holders than because of them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The key element is to cut the sides at the right point to provide maximum hold without making it necessary to snap the rods down inside them. As you will find, the fit is tight and the potential for lost rods is really very small.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
You could potentially make more than one notch so the holder could be at different angles providing it didn't have an adverse affect on the strength of the PVC.
[signature]
Interesting! Something else to try and play with. Went back to my rod holders and FF holder to see what I could do to make it easier and ended up switching my FF and rod holder on the right hand side and it works better. Also found that I can attach a holder to the oar holders when not in use for an additional rod. I may put this there and see how it works.[cool] Time to hit Lowes tomorrow![Smile]
[signature]
[quote h82sink]You could potentially make more than one notch so the holder could be at different angles providing it didn't have an adverse affect on the strength of the PVC.[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]That is something I considered but after getting the positions set precisely where I want them I found no need for other slots. But, unless you made the slots very close to each other there would not likely be any problem with strength. PVC is quite strong and it would be almost impossible for a mere fish to put enough torque on the holder to break it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Another option is to cut the groove in the fitting at the bottom and put the screw into the shaft on the holder. It works as well but not as smooth and clean.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Oh great and wise master of PVC, I have folllowed your direction and made said holder.... I find it holds my UL rods and Light rods just fine but you get into the larger handles and they don't quite fit. I will have to try this out on the water to see how it works. I will be on DC tomorrow morning bright and early. [cool]

[inline "DSCN1540 - 400.jpg"]
[inline "DSCN1541 - 400.jpg"]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Two suggestions. 1...use your Dremel tool to cut away a little bit of the 3/4" fitting on the inside. 2...make an alternate set with 1" fittings for the larger rods. If you have them set up for quick install and removal they are interchangeable.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One other note. If you are propping them up at an angle you might as well just use a PVC tube. The quick draw is designed to be used for holding the rods almost horizontal over the water.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I planon using horizontal, the angle piece I had in place while working on a holder for my fly rod so I used it as a stand to see how it looked. I will try the 1 inch and see what happens.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]If you do make the 1", you might try what I did to keep it as close as possible to a good fit. Use PVC cement to glue in some 1" pieces of type 200 1" PVC before you make your cuts. That will reduce the inside diameter a bit and if you do a good glue job the inserts will stick through the cutting...and while in use later.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lots of different kinds of rod handles. And a 1" handle is not always exactly 1". Keeps us PVC perverts on our toes to keep up with it all.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks I will give that a try. Also need to find a new material for a sushi board. The one I made this year is already cracking and breaking.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I've been using my current model for about 2 years and it is holding up well. Really works great. I made it by cutting out the bottom of a Rubbermaid clear container (see pics). It has a raised front end to keep things from sliding off the front. I secure it on either side by hooking the loops onto a PVC fitting with notches in it. Lots of options.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I recently saw a new shorter/flatter model of the same size for about $8 at Lowes. The bigger one I got was about twice that...but worth it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well it gives me an idea. [cool] Also I tried out the new holder today at DC. I like how it works. It will remain an asset on my toon.
[signature]
Do you still use your plastic spoon method of clipping your line when the bail is open? If so, where do you tape the spoon?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That is a different rod holder...for different type of fishing. I use that for dragging live bait, with the bail open. Still use it. It is interchangeable.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[inline "LEFT FRONT.jpg"]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The quick draw is for fishing vertical or for dragging something with a closed bail...for fast grab and hookset.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Got it, Thanks

I might have to look into a couple of new rods with straight handles. My long rods have a contoured handle. I'll have to play around with it.

Thanks again,
Richard
[signature]
Now this was an old thread revived. Brings me back to thinking PVC again[Tongue] And some things I need to build.
[signature]