Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield Chubs
Scofield Reservoir spilled for a month or so. As you can see in the photo below there were a significant amount of chubs that were swimming near the intake to the spillway - first photo. (Sorry - photo is not the best)

As the reservoir spilled, a few of the chubs were washed down the spillway, if you look closely you can see the chubs in the water stream- second photo.

When the reservoir stopped spilling it was obvious that a lot of the chubs were washed downstream. All three photos are looking down into the spillway stilling basin - photos 3 -5.

When we arrived we noticed what we thought was moss waving in the current downstream of the confluence of the spillway channel and the channel of the river outlet works. When we looked closer we noticed that they were chub swimming in the river - a bazillion of them. Sorry, did not take a photo of the river channel. The river is black with fish.

Those of you wanting chub for bait, this is the place to go. I think you could scoop out coolers full with a dip net, even more with a seine (??). Normally it is off limits to fish in the spillway stilling basin; however, I think I could get permission from Reclamation & the water district to remove this fish if anyone has a desire. You would probably need to fish during the week & not on the weekend - not sure? If interested send me a PM
[signature]
Holy sh!t! I know this sounds stupid, but, I wonder what would happen if you threw a few pounds of dry ice in there at the base of the spillway......
[signature]
I gotta say I wouldn't mind going out to fill a gallon sized ziplock bags. Would even fill a few more bags if there were people who couldn't make it and wanted some. Could really only make it out on a friday or a weekend.
[signature]
I got one word...well two....cast net! That'll get'em!! In about 3 casts if you're good!
[signature]
I imagine that will grow some huge tiger and cutthroat trout in the future.

I was enthralled by the pics you posted.[shocked]

I would go there just to catch chubs.[cool]
[signature]
Holy cow! That is a lot of chub. I don't think that is what we need to see right now at Schofield. Hopefully if won't destroy the fishery.[shocked]
[signature]