Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake at the Provo River 9-3
Myself, my Dad (4fins) and Jason (bnc) and Jason's neighbor hit Provo harbor in hopes of a repeat of a couple weeks ago. http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ost=684870

The south launch ramp and day use area is still blocked off to vehicle traffic so we had to haul our stuff further than I would have liked. But it was good test run of the tube dolly my Dad built. Jason was first in the water and after our last minute potty breaks, Dad and I soon followed him into the cold Provo River water. It amazes me how fast the water transitions from the upper 50s to the lower 70s as we work our way out.

At the no wake buoy we started heading south into the reeds. We worked the area we were in a few weeks ago and spread out and moved south. My first fish was a 4 inch white bass. I thought about clubbing him over the head and sticking a big hook through him, but he ended up being tossed back in the water.

That was my only white bass all day. Everything else was crappies, crappies and more crappies. My beginning technique was to have a worm under a bobber on my second pole and cast and retrieve jigs on my primary pole. The whole morning I only had one small hit on the worm so I switched my second pole to jigs. With one pole in each hand and stretched out over either side of the tube, I worked them vertically as I slowly kicked parallel to the reeds. I switched to this technique as we were working our way back and I caught one fish for about every ten feet mostly with the pole closest to the reeds. When I'd catch one, I'd put the other pole in the holder so that I could land the fish and get it in the basket. Often while I was unhooking the fish, the pole in the holder would go bendo and I'd have to quickly hurry up and bring in the next fish. Once, there were two fish on the second pole by the time I got to it. My first triple ever.

I ended the day with 16 crappies plus another half dozen small ones I threw back. My Dad had 2 white bass, 7 crappies, and the prize of the day: a 23.5 inch, 5lb walleye! (his first walleye, by the way)

We left before Jason and his neighbor so I'm not sure what their totals were. Maybe they'll chime in and post their numbers and maybe some pictures.
[signature]
I ended up the day nicely. I had 1 eater size perch, 1 catfish 22 incher (caught on my ultralight which made the fight bigger then it should have been!), 3 whites, and 10 crappies that were worth keeping.

After you guys left, the fishing slowed a lot. We stayed about another hour, with only a few more fish caught, most of which were small enough that they weren't worth keeping.

My friend ended his day with 2 crappies and 1 white. Good day of fishing, and a lot of fun.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nice going you guys. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Looks like the tube mods are well done. Sure makes fishing from a tube more enjoyable and productive.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That area around the Provo River mouth can be great for the next couple of months. Usually a lot more white bass in there. But they move around and when they are in...THEY ARE IN.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice trip! Sorry that I couldn't work out a way to attend. Had fun camping with the family but the lack of fishing was working on me some. Glad you all got into some good action again though. Tell your Dad nice job on the walleye!

So when's the next trip again? [Wink]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude]
[#0000ff]Looks like the tube mods are well done. Sure makes fishing from a tube more enjoyable and productive.[/#0000ff]
[/quote]

Thanks again for your help. I've got my new tube 75% done. Any day now...
[signature]
Nice report. Thanks!!!!![cool]
[signature]