Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard and Sturgeon
Looked at the forecast and the wind didn't look too bad at Willard so I gave it a shot tonight (monday). Took the kayak out and as soon as I got out of the south marina, it was windy as all get out. I headed toward freeway bay and only saw one small boil on the way out. The weather got even worse so I had to turn around and I was jumping waves all the way back. Saw a couple of boils but I was moving too slow to get there in time. Did see some fish caught even after the boils went down but the weather was too bad for me stick around and try to fish them. By the time I got back to the marina my kayak was like a bathtub full of water. At least I know now how my yak handles under bad weather.

On Saturday I went sturgeon fishing with my brother in law. We landed four (69 to 73 inches).
[signature]
man after your reading your topic i was hoping i could land a sturgeon out of willard bay!

nice fish, glad to hear you made it back to the marina safe and sound in your 'yak
[signature]
Your clouser minnows and fly rod probably wouldn't have cut it though [:p]. It would be fun to watch you get towed around on the toon though.

I'm sure the title will get a few more looks from the willard enthusiasts.
[signature]
Looks like you're really enjoying those sturgeon! Nice job.

Sorry Willard was a bust.
[signature]
there are some big perch right there as well. Nice Fish man.
Willard Bay has the tendency to skunk people like that. The more you fish the place the more you will likely hook into something. Glad to see you caught a sturgeon tho....bet most willard anglers would gladly trade their wipers in for one of those. That sturgeon you are holding in that 2nd pic is a true river monster. Great work and thanks for the post.
[signature]
Hey Kory, the place you caught the sturgeon looks familiar. Any change in the hike in from last time?
[signature]
Cool pictures!

...Nice to see you finally upgraded to a big-boy rod for those sturgeon! [Wink]

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
I hate fighting those sturgeon with that rod. It is not comofortable at all. I had a shorter rod that I caught the other fish with and it was very easy to real in and was two inches larger than the other one. It is a shorter rod, but definetely hardier. I personally did not land get any on my spinning gear this time, but my brother in law caught both of his on them.

Kent, I did not have to walk through any brush this time. But I still got wet and I wore flip flops while fishing to dry out my shoes. The drive in was covered with tumble weeds. I still haven't been able to get all of the tumble weeds out of the crevices of my truck. I don't care, but I got scratched all on the sides of my truck, not sure if they will come out.
[signature]
Looks like it's rippin again too.

I'm really sold on carrying a light weight boat down the steps and crossing the river. I've done it in a 14' and a canoe. Not hard at all. The current rips you down stream some at launch, but as soon as you cross over it, it's easy to get back to the point.
We put an electric motor on the 14' and fished all over that hole one time. It was more of a pain to carry the battery and motor down the steps than it was the boat, but worth it to motor that hole.
[signature]
nice job buddy! been to pv lately
[signature]
Not lately on pineview. Maybe this weekend. Been traveling so I have had to pick and choose my trips. And when I heard about the boils I had to give it a shot, but the weather turned on me. Saw you guys were going out Wednesday but the weather channel says 5-10 MPH winds so that must be they will be 30 like Monday. Hope you guys kill em if you go.
[signature]
just posted on my slow at pv things will get better, trip #4 muskyless, its all good, good things come to those who wait.

I was supposed to hit willard tonight but my son is sick so i hung out and chilled with him. Utcatman got out on shore sounds like his buddy and him found a few. I will be out there again prolly thurs then campin at pv sat and sun

sorry to change the direction of the post i have A.D.D
[signature]