Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fins
I'm wondering if anyone has tried this type of fin for float tubing. My brother is a scuba diver and can't say enough good things about them. He says they don't cause his legs to get cramps like the stiffer ones did. He's letting us borrow them, but I'm wondering if using them for float tubing would be like using golf cleats at a soccer game.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There's no doubt they will work. Will they work better for YOU than another model? That is up to you to determine.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Choosing fins is literally a matter of "different strokes for different folks". There is a lot of difference in lengths, composition, flexibility, width, etc. The bottom line is that the fins you use should be just the right balance of flexibility and stiffness. Too much stiffness and you propel well but kill your legs. Too wimpy and you can beat the water to a froth without going anywhere...but you feel good.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We all have different body sizes and types and we all have different levels of physical ability. It really does pay to try before you buy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some of the foo foo designs created by the diving industry are seemingly like the lure designs created for fishing...more to catch the buyer than to produce something worth the extra montey. And, you have to realize that the kicking done underwater is somewhat different than that done by tubers and tooners. We need fins for shorter and more efficient strokes...from the knees down. Divers use full leg extension kicks and sometimes use fin blades that are quite long...too long for tubers.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I have an extra pair of dive fins I don't use. They are Mares Plana Advanti. They look pretty much the same as the ones TubeDude uses. If you're interested, shoot me a PM or post here and I'll get pictures to you. I'm asking $45.
[signature]
That depends on which other model you compare Car Dr. to. If'n that be yours truely, why then of course it would work. But then again . . .

Seriously though, I hope you discuss fins in your new book. I want to re-think the question of fins. I'm using the generic cabella's fins, and when I'm cranking hard to get back up the Potomac River to Indian Head - my take-out point - I'm wasted! I've been know to hitch a ride with my 19 year old, who has the trolling motor on his pontoon. What's wrong with this picture??

Cheers,

Bob Hendry [fishin]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There are models...and there are models. But we are talking about fins. Right?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of my favorite Dirty Harry lines is "A man should know his limitations." (women too). This is especially true in tubing and tooning. We need to select our systems based on the type of fishing we will be doing (realistically) and upon our own physical condition. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A wimpy set of fins is wasted on someone with powerful legs and boundless stamina. Lots of wasted energy. On the other hand, a set of fins with long stiff blades will be the demise of a lesser tuber. You need to have a balance between the power of the user and the power potential of the fins. Unfortunately there are no uniform standards of rating...and most of the ratings pertain to skin diving and not float tubing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most fins provided as a "convenience" or as package deals for price point tube systems are not what a seasoned tuber would buy if they had other options. The Cabelas fins will get you by...but so will a cane pole and a piece of string.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]However, you do not need to be led down the primrose path by the advertising rhetoric of the major diving fin manufacturers. Ditto for those who claim to make fins just for tubing and tooning. They all have their agendas...and those are usually to make money without regard to the ultimate enjoyment of the customer.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The subject of fins is covered in the book, but not to much greater extent than here. It is difficult to keep up with all of the new designs and since I do not replace my fins often I don't do a lot of shopping. A lot of what I think I know I glean from the comments of others on this board.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
That being said what do you think of the old Browning fins for an average tuber and physical size, male. Don't know if they still sell em but they seemed to be a reasonable fin for the price and do moderately ok.
P.S. Haven't owned anything else. They work, and they "keep on going".
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Plenty of happy owners of the old Browning fins. They are simple in design, reasonably priced and pretty efficient for propulsion. Can't ask for too much more. There are lots of fancy foo foo fins that are not as good...and cost several times more money.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I owned two models of Browning float tubes back in the old round tube days. Found them to be well made and overall great tubes. They were one of the manufacturers that made "big guy" models that would take the 22" truck tire tubes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Unfortunately, most modern tubes, toons, fins and waders are all made "offshore"...to satisfy the price market rather than the quality market. Again, most of them will work for at least a few trips...some far longer. But the sacrifices in quality and in customer service is not worth the low price.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Just took a pic. and thought I'd post it in my original post. You beat me to it in your response. But here it is anyway.
Maybe [url "http://../../../cgi-bin/community/community.cgi?do=user_page;pg=user_profile_view.html;username=TheCarDoctor"]TheCarDoctor[/url] can get an idea if general configuration of a fin to look for???

[inline swim.jpg]
[signature]
The family was out shopping until just now, and they brought a surprise back up from the road for me. Your new book arrived. Wow! That was quick! Thanks.

Cheers,

Bob H.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Be sure to study. There will be a test.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
That looks like the fins I'm using. I really don't have any complaints about them, although I do sometimes get leg craps after a while. I figured I'm just out of shape.

My Dad tried out my brother's fins and loved them. My brother took them back before I had a chance to take them for a spin. One of these times I'll get a turn.
[signature]
I have a pair of these fins and they have worked great for me. They seem to have a nice balance of flex and stiffness. Everyone is a bit different in their technique, so I am thinking it would be good if you could try something similar first.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q227TY
[signature]
I guess t is time for the Heart Attach...LOL I own these:

http://www.cabelas.com/float-tube-pontoo...erralID=NA

And these:

http://www.flipfins.com/img/testdive.pdf

Both get used and both are FANTASTIC!!!!
[signature]