Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finding trout in a lake?
I rarely fish for trout in lakes. I spend most of my time on rivers. Last year I went to the Uintas and did really well.. but I wish i knew more about finding trout in still water. Im sure it has a lot to do with the time of year,day and temp. If they are rising like they were last year i know what to do... but if not id like to know the best way to find them.
[signature]
Where they are going to be found is some what predictable. Except that it varies from time of day and time of year.

A couple rules of thumb: Look for them to be deeper if the water and/or air temp is hotter. Look for them to be in shallow water nearer to the bank in the first and last hour or two of the day.

So here in the next few weeks as it gets cooler they will stay closer to the surface and closer to the edges of the lakes because they don't need to hide out in deep water where it's cooler.
[signature]
I understand what your saying about fish holding deeper in hot weather and shallow when its cool. Pretty much like all fish. I guess what im wondering is if trout tend to stick near structure in a lake or are they constantly on the move?

I know this is all basic stuff but like I said I haven't had a ton of experience with trout lakes. Im a river guy....
[signature]
I say they are constantly moving in Lakes. The search for food where rivers it is a sit and wait.
Even with the air temps dropping it takes longer for the water to cool.
I hit Strawberry last Nov. thinking they would be shallow and a bit lethargic, the complete opposite. They were anywhere from 30' to 50' and hitting hard.

Good theory is to fish fast sinking in hot and maybe intermediate or a slower sinking in the COOLER WATER.
I fish a lot off the bottom (my deep nymphing) as the fish still eat Scuds and Sows and Chironomids not to mention leeches off the bottom.

Dry / Droppers is a good attack too. I like to start with maybe a 5' dropper then shorten as needed.
[signature]
Thanks both of you for the tips! Planning on the mirror lake area tommorrw... Hope the weather holds up.
[signature]
Small buggers or Renegades. Also haresears. Yellow, Orange and Purple always produce for me there.
We will have to try a lake sometime together.
[signature]
I'm mostly a river guy too, so that's what I always look for first on stillwaters: Where the water comes in! Creek/river mouths, rain storm runoff areas, and/or springs. They all usually carry or attract food, and trout will hang around waiting or cruise the general area. Incoming water can also bring a different, more comfortable water temperature, often cooler during the hottest times and warmer during the coldest times.
[signature]
A good strategy on a mt lake is just to watch it for 20 min or so. If you can get up high so you can see the deeper spots and shelfs.

Often you can spot cruising fish. They will usually cruise in a set pattern. That way you can get a fly out ahead of the fish and wait a minute for it to come around again. A nymph that is slightly rising in front of a fish seems to be more deadly than a sinking one. Stealth and concealment are also important. They can see you better than you can see them!
[signature]
Not to be a snoot - but a boat/float and fishfinder.

Lots of boat traffic will drive them down, but then they'll hit the shorelines at dusk/dawn most places. If you can find the thermocline - transition from warm/cool - it's the most oxygenated, and appealing.

That whole inlet idea is great - you can see the "pattern" of the inlet flow in winter at Hyrum by watching the tent-city pattern.

Ice fishing with an underwater camera made clear - they do school in, run amuck, then move off.
You may find transition area - weed edges, dropoffs - where they'll cruise. But they aren't the ambush predators that bass or musky are, for example. And they do tend to cruise in groups - bully gangs!
Thanks again to all of you for the info! I every time I have a question this forum has helped.

I had a great day at Mirror lake yesterday. I'll post a report on that later when i get home from work.

CoyoteSpinner: Ive never fished Hyrum. I live up north in Weber county. We should hit it sometime.
[signature]
I think it depends on the kind of fish. Really, it is no different that finding fish in a river.

Rainbows tend to be open water fish. They swim around eating zoplankton. But, brook trout aren't necessarily the same. They tend to stick to cover, whether in a lake or a stream. Look for rocks, logs, etc. -- any structure that the brook trout can hide under.

Cutts can be like either a brook trout or a rainbow. I'd stick to fishing cover, unless they are actively slurping from the surface.

Don't try to make things any harder than what they are. You know how to find fish in a stream -- pools, runs, etc. It's not much different on a lake. Look for points, humps, drop-offs, etc. Fish still like cover and structure.
[signature]