Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cameras for Tubing
[cool][#0000ff]During much of my earlier tubing career I went afloat without a camera...and often regretted it. No on the water shots. Only dead fish pictures after returning to shore.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When I finally upgraded from film to digital I had even more motivation to have a camera with me out in the tube. Like most anglers, I feared dropping my camera over the side. So I attached it to an elastic cord and hung it around my neck.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have fished with this camera system for over ten years now. I usually drop the camera down in between outer layers of shirts when not in use, but it is quickly and readily available when a "photo op" presents itself. It remains protected from hot sun or from extreme cold...or rain. And I have never had even any "near misses" at losing it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Until recently, I was using a non-waterproof Olympus 330-D camera. I virtually wore out the opening and closing mechanisms on two different cameras. They still take great pictures but are not reliable for opening and remaining open for a quick shot. I have lost a lot of brief opportunities.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A while back I bought a little Pentax Optio W-90. It is smaller than my old Olympus and it is waterproof down to 90' deep. It won't float if I drop it in the water but it will not suffer from a shoreline mishap while launching or beaching...or from a heavy downpour without protection.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I carry this compact little gem on a sturdy lanyard and clip. I keep it in a small flexible case for glasses when not in use...to keep the camera and lens as clean as possible. It can get messy when the fishing is good.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The final part of the component puzzle came together when I got a new chest pack. Actually, it is a small fanny pack to which I add a neck strap and use to store miscellaneous goodies on my chest. And it has a couple of round compartments on either side for holding water bottles...or other refreshments. I adapted those loops for carrying my sunglasses on one side and my camera on the other side. See the pics at the bottom.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]So far this has proven to be a great system. My camera is both readily available and protected from the elements. It remains securely inside the little pocket even while I am going through the motions of launching and beaching. But if it did slip out, it would still be attached to my neck with the lanyard.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am amazed at how many cell phones...and cameras...I find near launch ramps as water levels recede each summer. It would appear that a lot of boaters (and maybe tubers) are either careless with their electronics or deliberately dump them in order to justify getting new ones.[/#0000ff]

[signature]
Great topic! Lost one of my favorite cameras and a phone to H2O.
I do like my Olympus because I can add filters (Polarized being used a lot), but I have a great Kodak that was very inexpensive and great HD video capability. WATERPROOF and easy to use. But the other side of that coin is, there is no Macro for that close up.

I am placing my Christmas order for one of the sponsors here "GO PRO" Awesome cameras!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That little Pentax I got has macro and microscope...down to about 1/2" away. Also has 5X optical zoom. Pretty good little camera for on the water shooting. But if you have high demands for detailed closeup shooting of flies, etc. it is good to have interchangeable lenses. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just ain't no one size fits all.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
The camera that drown was a PENTAX. Small and sweet settings, but not waterproof...dang it!
Just easy to hold and shoot is about all one can look for in a fishing camera....oh and a leash!
[signature]
The official oar cam is a Olympus tough 6000.

[Image: Oarcam1.jpg]

It is water proof and easy to use outdoors. I just got into under water video. It is kind of tough when a guy is not in the water [:/]. For a fishing camera I like it. For a family camera I don't know. It doesn't take good inside pictures unless I jump through some hoops and even then it is so so quality. Here is my underwater videos. Ron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Gwwplpf...er&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z0QSKXoP...er&list=UL
[signature]
I just got a gopro this year, and the wide angle lens is perfect for capturing float tube action at an arms length

[Image: bigbass5.jpg]
[signature]
those are some super cool videos Ron. Love it.

Peter
[signature]
I use a small nikon digital camera. Took TD's idea to heart about having a lanyard around the neck. Works great. Camera is out of the way and easy to get to when needed.
[signature]
[quote MT_Pilgrim]I just got a gopro this year, and the wide angle lens is perfect for capturing float tube action at an arms length

[.img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3AqU4oYVgTk/TmbjdWut3UI/AAAAAAAAFDU/Rdflzcd6Ig0/s400/bigbass5.jpg[/img][/quote]

That's what I am talking about!!!! Maybe my Christmas Present[cool]
[signature]
For a lot of digital cameras you can buy a plastic waterproof case.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It is good to take as many precautions as you can. But those cases protect only against rain or splashes...not clumsiness. Unless they also float they don't do you much good if you drop them overboard. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have fished for years with non-waterproof cameras...secured around my neck with an elastic cord. If I needed waterproof I tucked them into a good quality ziplock plastic bag.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Now if the manufacturers could only come up with a pill or something that would eliminate angler excitement or forgetfulness...or stupidity...that would save not only cameras but a lot of other stuff we drop or knock over the side. I have been diving in some lakes that were literally paved on the bottom with lost items...as well as bottles, cans and other trash.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I have one of these

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/76..._Case.html

and it is waterproof. Actually works great, and pictures look fine through them. BUT no flash!!!! It will reflect back. An if your camera has the telescopic lens, make sure the bag is big enough. They are awkward too to hold and snap picture. Like trying to do it with snow mobile gloves on, but they do work.

Anymore, you can get waterproof cameras for around $100 though.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There are seemingly a lot more waterproof cameras and cases on the market these days. Good for us floatation nuts.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As I mentioned, I have the Pentax Optio W90 that is compact and waterproof. Also has zoom, macro and microscope shooting. So far so good.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[Image: 8169z92NYeL._AA1500_.jpg]
[signature]
Pentax builds a GREAT camera.
[signature]