Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone done Mcpheters from Butterfly TH
Has any one done McPheters and or Ryder from the Highline Trail Head across from Butterfly Lake. How was it? and How hard is the route finding?
[signature]
I actually did that bushwacking hike about a month or month and a half ago. It is kinda a brutal hike. I went with my cousin and it took us probably two and a half hours at least up and over one way. He was suckin wind pretty bad at times. We are both young and in good shape, its just a steep climb and some rock scrabling. The views were amazing and breathtaking, especially the backside of the mountain down into Ryders and Mcpheters. We fished Ryder for a bit and had good success, so I imagine now will be even better. I know a friend said scout troops have done it with packs on, but we just did a day hike. I brought my GPS and just took a pretty direct route, at times I could make out a path where people have stacked rocks. I would do it again, but not sure if my cousin would. Hit me back if you want some more info.
[signature]
Could you rough the route in on a topo or even better google satellite.? thanks
[signature]
Yes, I did that very same hike as a boy scout, about 9 years ago. It was a little tough going up over that boulder field, but very doable. And worth it too. We had Ryder and McPheters pretty much to ourselves. There is a nice place to sleep when the weather is nice right up under a little cliff by one of those two lakes, I don't remember which one you hit first but it's that one. However, now that the weather has turned that isn't going to be very helpful to you.
[signature]